Anyone intersted in old bottles from the U.P.?

jwilder23

Jun 2, 2008
Copper Country, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey everyone. I was just wondering if anyone is interested in collecting old bottles from the Keweenaw? My husband and I have been collecting for about 8 years now. I have a huge display on top of my kitchen cabinets. He keeps telling me that the cabinets are going to fall off the wall. We mostly dig for bottles, but every once in awhile we find a keeper at a garage sale. We have quite a few bottle books, and the local book put together by some bottle group. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find more information on our local old bottles. Or if anyone else has dig suggestions for me. Chances are, we've already been there though. It's all we do in our spare time. We even have our children helping, they love it! I have looked at Clarence Monette's books. We have lots of brewery bottles, from many companies up here. And lots of water bottles also. Quite a few rare, some scarce, etc... We've done our homework. Supposedly there is a local "bottle group", consisting of old timers. I have yet to hear a name to talk to anyone. I would just love to sit down and listen to their stories. These bottles are priceless to me. We enjoy looking for them and reconnecting with our local history. By the way, I live in the Keweenaw! What a beautiful place to live.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i have a few old bottles from Negaunee, Marquette and now Menominee, dont know much about them, and seems hard to find local info on bottles, they are cool to find

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I was into bottles bigtime 30 years ago. Still have some but lost many when a shelf in the house collapsed and they came crashing down....used to go "dumping" and invade abandoned houses, (we were minors, I wouldn't recommend that now).
If you have local druggist, local bitters, and or local brewers bottles, I would say they are valuble to someone.
I subscribed to two different monthly bottle publications in the late 70's/early 80's and if you could post the pics I might be able to identify them, if you do not already know what you have.
Trouble with bottles is, so many different kinds with regard to local kinds. I would rate anything blown with a pontiled bottom quite valuble. Any blob-topped sodas and brews, whiskey flasks, poisons, early ink wells, and any bottles with different shades of color not consistent with mass-produced glass.

AMC

unclenutsy

Feb 27, 2006
Carsonville Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Hello everyone...I collect old bottles mostly Michigan beer and sodas but do collect others. If anyone has any for sale or need a appraisal let me know and I will be pleased to help you..Here are some pics of a new place I plan on digging but did not take the heavy tools in to break through the hard clay and my little scraper would not do the job...
c3d9716c.jpg

e7699baf.jpg

2483b82b.jpg

937526e0.jpg

U.P. Northwoods

Jul 27, 2008
Nisula, MI/Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6
I too have some of the old bottles. Enough to fill a few shelves anyway. Some are the old milk and cream bottles. Boy I can remember running out to the milk truck when a wee lad at my grandparents home in Keweenaw Bay. Now those days are gone but at least we have a few of the bottles to remind us of the good old days. My land that cream was delicious.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread