Anyone know about error coins?

fatheadnc

Jun 11, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro, Fisher CZ-5,Delta 4000,Garrett CX-III
I have an Oklahoma state quarter with no copper reeding. I checked it on my Minelab SE and it rings up 00 29 the same as a standing liberty quarter. Is it possible it was struck in silver. It isn't white like silver but it definitely rings up the same and has no copper on the rim. I'll post some pics.

Thanks,

Shane

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,016
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,028
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,036
Upvote 0

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
I am guessing it has an "S" mint mark?

If not, you better have a coin dealer check it out. If so, that is a proof. They have been making silver proofs in dimes, quarters, halves, and commemoratives since around 1993 I believe.

In my opinion, the easiest way to tell if its really silver, is to do the drop test, get that standing liberty, a clad quarter, and the "no copper in the middle" quarter... Drop all three of them on the counter, one at a time, and it should be very easy to tell which one the quarter "sounds" like.

Let us know what you find out

OP
OP
F

fatheadnc

Jun 11, 2006
Detector(s) used
Sorry I'm not good at taking photos. The mint mark is a P but it has no copper showing on the rim at all. I'm getting ready to do the drop test with a silver Washington, Standing liberty and the Oklahoma state quarter and a regular clad quarter. Let me know if anyone knows anything else about possible errors like this.

Thanks,

Shane

OP
OP
F

fatheadnc

Jun 11, 2006
Detector(s) used
The Oklahoma quarter doesn't sound like any of the others but I noticed its thicker than the silver quarter and a regular clad quarter.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you should probably just send it to me :laughing7:

OP
OP
F

fatheadnc

Jun 11, 2006
Detector(s) used
I took some more pics but this time my cat Moxie had to get involved.

Attachments

• 043.JPG
    043.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,361
  • 045.JPG
    045.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,420
  • 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,431

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Its definately not silver if it has a P mintmark, I would say there are only two possibilities; It is either plated as someone else mentioned already... Or it is an error where somehow there isnt the copper sandwhich showing, Im sure it has to be copper in there somewhere even if it is an error because I believe our coins are basically just plated copper, not sure though... Take it to a coin shop, ask them, and let us know.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Your Moxie cat is delightful. Our Sapphire cat joins me whenever I start cleaning my finds of the day, like she's asking, "Anything good today?" Once she hid a silver ring find under the couch! HH Andi

tnut1

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2011
Official Red Book of coins has a 2008s silver Ok. quarter PF-65 Worth $8.00 Looks like all state coins have a silver coin struck.

gauge

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TheRockDoc said:

If not, you better have a coin dealer check it out. If so, that is a proof. They have been making silver proofs in dimes, quarters, halves, and commemorative since around 1993 I believe.

Actually since 1936 . Once dug out of it,s holder and lost in the sand the coin won't grade out as a "Proof" . All and all a good find .

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
gauge said:
TheRockDoc said:

If not, you better have a coin dealer check it out. If so, that is a proof. They have been making silver proofs in dimes, quarters, halves, and commemorative since around 1993 I believe.

Actually since 1936 . Once dug out of it,s holder and lost in the sand the coin won't grade out as a "Proof" . All and all a good find .

Well U.S. proof coins go back way before 1936. I don't have the full info in front of me, but I believe 1936 was when proof sets started. Before then, it was just individual coins not made into sets. The statement above is referring to silver proof sets which began (or resumed, I suppose you could say) in 1992.

Once a coin is a proof, it's always a proof. I believe there are some coins graded Proof 1 out there (i.e. it grades a 1 on a scale from 1 to 70). That means it got into circulation, but it's still a proof. Now, if it's damaged, it would be graded as "genuine" and not a numerical grade by the graders.

lucky d

Oct 2, 2008
fla la land
Detector(s) used
minelab excalibur
That's interesting....I have an Iowa quarter with a p mint mark that has no copper reeding on the edge, just like yours.... I have been meaning to research it but just pain forgot till I saw your post....maybe someone will know ? Hh

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
Guys, I hate to tell you this but unless it has the "S" mint mark it isn't silver. It doesn't matter that it doesn't have a copper "color" in the edge. It might even be a little thicker or heavier than most. It is still just a clad quarter. Proof coins are either from the "S" San Fransisco mint or "W" Westpoint mint. "W" mint marks are usually reserved for gold and platinum.

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
It would be a billion to one chance, but it could be that a silver planchet was left in the bin when they changed the press over from silver proofs to clad, and it was struck on the silver planchet. That is what happened on the 1943 copper error cents, and they are worth thousands. I'm not trying to get your hopes up, but you never know what error is going to come out of the mint next. HH

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Shane, a couple of options, 1, it was part of a home shopping network set and it was plated in platinum (doesn't add any value) or it would be a wrong metal strike. But the wrong metal strike it HIGHLY unlikely. Check the weight on a scale and the diameter in mm to see if it is the correct size and weight for a US quarter.

My quess is someone broke open their State Qaurter plated collection and spent the coins when they realized there was no collector value added to the coins.

Snake Eyes

Sep 24, 2011
111/101 in SW Ohio.
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Explorer SE, Dowsing Rods...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm glad I saw this post........ I found a state quarter with no copper showing in the center also! I got it out of change just last week! I've been scratching my head on this one ever since, because I've found some of the silver ones in change as well and I also wonder why they would mint a quarter like this :icon_scratch: Strange Mystery We Have Here ;D

Picture 3338.jpg
Picture 3339.jpg

Sorry for the dark pics! Cheers :icon_thumright: HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread