Anyone know about Flags for target marking?

beavis

Mar 11, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hey Lasivian, I use surveyor flags. You can get them at home improvement centers. They're cheap and light. I will find a number of targets, put flags in them as I go. Then I can set the MD down and dig for a while. HH Bill.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
This may sound odd, but I use those umbrellas that go in drinks. They come in different colors so each detector/digger can use a particular color.

grizzly bare

and I have to do something with them since I quit drinking

beavis

Mar 11, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Me too GB. I just don't have a supply of umbrellas to use up.

Attachments

• cart5.gif
    cart5.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 187

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to a farm supply store. They have flags for laying out fields, flags for invisible dog fencing, flags for marking underground lines before digging, flags for marking sugar maple trees for tapping (while the leaves are still on ;) ).

Little 18" wires with survey tape or silver duct tape flags will work.

A box of brightly colored pencils from a dollar store?

Bamboo shish-ka-bob skewers from the grocery store with paper flags?

Tongue depressors?

Golf tees?

Big stones?

Sprap paint?

Powdered chalk?

Phew, too hot to do all this thinking.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
poker chips work well and fit into a pocket..

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You go Charlie P. :)

I've used survey flags with two colors when on an Archaeological excavation. One color for ferrous and another for nonferrous. Then we would try to guess where to excavate based on the flags.

Otherwise, I just point and say, "You, Dig Here!". ;)

HH.

OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Go to a farm supply store.

You have NO Idea how much I wish there was a good farm store in Phoenix >:(

I visited Fleet Farms in Wisconsin a month ago and it was almost like heaven, lol All kinds of nifty stuff

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was think landscaping spray paint. They even sell a handle so you don't have to bend down. Just locate the signal then pull the trigger on the handle to give a little spray. Although if you do this in a park or private lawn I don't think people would be to happy with you but in the woods I don't think anyone would mind. Once the hole is filled in you will not even see the paint.

Good luck

NJ

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some little thin wires with red plastic flags like you would mark underground lines with. Stoney56 came up with them for me and I use them quite a bit. You'd be surprised how many people think I work for the gas company or something and never bother me when I am hunting new territory. Monty

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And you can always find your way back to where you parked. :D

S

stefen

Could also use irrigation head flags available at White Cap and other constructuion supply houses.

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Breadcrumbs Breadcrumbs Breadcrumbs Breadcrumbs Breadcrumbs Breadcrumbs Breadcrumbs Breadcrumbs Breadcrumbs Breadcrumbs Breadcrumbs Breadcrumbs Breadcrumbs Breadcrumbs

Bluezman

mike in pa

May 6, 2007
stroudsburg pa
Detector(s) used
whites dfx/xlt
I use colored golf tees red, yellow,orange they are easy to carry an very easy to spot,even if you want to come back another day,that way your not giving away your good spot,and if anyone sees them they will think your only driving golf balls works very well for me!!!!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lasivian,
You know, I've wondered that same thing since I started detecting. I was even thinking it today when my brother (the new Youth Pastor at my church) called me up this morning and asked for my "professional assistance" at the church. Some guy lost his keys to a part of the church and needed me to find them. Out in the place of the property where I was looking, there were red irrigation flags going down both sides of the property. I started to wonder where I could get some to flag the places that I detect... or some novel alternatives. Good suggestions so far... there's gotta be more though...

Bran <><

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been making my own. Straighten out a wire coathanger, tie about a foot long strip of material. I like white cause I can see it a LONG ways away. They're nice and tall, above the vegetation. It flutters in the breeze. I can't see those little red flags very far away.

I'm searching a 25 acre field. I don't want to miss a target, and I don't want to leave one out there and have it get caught in farm machinery.

Oh yes, I'm a tightwad ;)

In the yard, I use white bottled water caps from the recycle bin

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one drawback I can see is that you forget how deep your detector tells you your target is. In that case you have to pull the flag and run your detector back over the spot so you'll know how deep to dig. Since that is redundant, I usually just pull a 4" plug as I seldom dig more than 4". If using golf tees I suppose you could use different colors for different depths and to be sure just put a number on top of them with a felt tip pen. If the detector tells me it is two inches or less, I just go ahead and dig it as it only takes a sec. Monty

BobPA

Feb 18, 2007
Williamsport, Home of Little League Baseball
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
mike in pa said:
I use colored golf tees red, yellow,orange they are easy to carry an very easy to spot,even if you want to come back another day,that way your not giving away your good spot,and if anyone sees them they will think your only driving golf balls works very well for me!!!!

I like the golf tee idea. Always have plenty of them.
Bob

S

stefen

Monty said:
The one drawback I can see is that you forget how deep your detector tells you your target is. In that case you have to pull the flag and run your detector back over the spot so you'll know how deep to dig. Since that is redundant, I usually just pull a 4" plug as I seldom dig more than 4". If using golf tees I suppose you could use different colors for different depths and to be sure just put a number on top of them with a felt tip pen. If the detector tells me it is two inches or less, I just go ahead and dig it as it only takes a sec. Monty

Good point.

Get a bunch of different colored flags, each representing a different depth.

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also get the plastic flags with plastic poles. They don't stick in the ground as well, I've found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread