cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just scrapped a TV and I heard that some scrap yards give you 10 bucks for flyback transformers. Has anyone in here that has scrapped a TV ever tryed scrapping one of these before?

arn't those the ones that knock you on your butt if you don't discharge them correctly?

I turn down TVs and monitors, too heavy, not enough inside to make money and then i have to get rid of the whole thing.

OP
OP
red89

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
arn't those the ones that knock you on your butt if you don't discharge them correctly?

I turn down TVs and monitors, too heavy, not enough inside to make money and then i have to get rid of the whole thing.

Yeah, I've heard those are the things that store the charges. I usually wait a few days before getting into a tv unit.

I dont mind doing tvs, they can be heavy, but where I live there isn't much laying around to scrap so every little bit counts.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I've heard those are the things that store the charges. I usually wait a few days before getting into a tv unit.

I dont mind doing tvs, they can be heavy, but where I live there isn't much laying around to scrap so every little bit counts.

The flyback has a big honkin red wire that goes to the CRT. Attach a wire to the frame of the TV and the other end to a screwdriver. Slip it under the boot on the CRT and SNAP!!. Then you can be sure it's discharged.

Powerwasher

Aug 19, 2012
KS
Primary Interest:
Other
The few TV's I have torn into offer me little amounts of copper and e-waste items to mess with. What's plastic, glass and other materials that are left over is all trash. Although finding a safe place, then to trash the waste, , is never a problem it always boils down to how much time do you want to invest for what you get get back.

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010
I just scrapped a TV and I heard that some scrap yards give you 10 bucks for flyback transformers. Has anyone in here that has scrapped a TV ever tryed scrapping one of these before?

$10 for how many pounds? By me they can be mixed in with elect motors .30 a pound!

rickn1

Dec 14, 2011
Southern Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You nailed it Rob-in-KS. One slip with the screwdriver and you " fly-back" very "stunning" effect.

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
They will give you a lot more for a flux capacitor. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread