anyone know colorado ghost towns?

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
There seems to be a few listed here. http://www.ghosttowns.com/ Just click on your state at the top of the page and follow through from there. Also try a Google search for old maps of Colorodo and don't forget the Library and Historical Society. Good luck and HH.

sebbert

Greenie
Dec 25, 2004
Guys let me know where u live and when u r going md. i just purched my fisher 1236-x2 and can't wait to hit some ghost town. i live in near vail.
regards
sebastian

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
iF A TOWN DRIES UP AND BLOWS AWAY I GUESS THE ONLY PEOPLE AT THE POST OFFICE WOULD BE GHOSTS. :) uNLESS YOU COUNT THE DRUNKS wHO ARE LOST, BUT THEY USUALLY DON'T PICK UP MAIL ;D

reiferman

Sep 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI guys,

Haven't been on here for awhile. I happened by and noticed this thread.

I have actually been to Keota in NE Colorado as well as Buckingham, New Raymer, and Stoneham. The people at all of these spots were really nice when I asked permission to hunt. I was even allowed to hunt the abandoned school site in Keota even though it is marked as no trespassing. I found a 1927 Mercury around the flag pole area. Also found some old newspaper type around the old train depot area. They do not like for you to hunt around the foundations as people still own the land these are on. The places where the sidewalks and streets used to be are fair game.

It looks as though Keota gets hunted quite abit due to it being on the way to the pawnee buttes in the pawnee grasslands. Watch for rattlers in all of these areas! Keota is mostly abandoned except for the road maintenance guys and one person who built a metal building to the west of the school house. It is also very trashy. I used a minelab explorer II and periscope probe to hunt and was amazed at the amount of deep rusted metal.

Anyway, hope this helps.

HH
The Reiferman 8)

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Reiferman I was going to go up there myself, and thats pretty much what I would have expected of the place.
Did you clean it out? or are you going back sometime?

reiferman

Sep 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dano91 said:
Reiferman I was going to go up there myself, and thats pretty much what I would have expected of the place.
Did you clean it out? or are you going back sometime?

I'm sure I left some stuff there for you ;D I was there in Feb. I won't be making it back there for awhile as I'm off to Alaska for a month. Unfortunately my wife is making me leave the detector at home :'( It'll still be great fun.

HH
The Reiferman

camcolo

Mar 17, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Whites Beach Hunter TDI
I will post any Colorado ghost towns I hit this summer. I live SW of Denver at Pine Junction. I will be hitting some this summer. There are some good books at bookstores on Colorado ghost towns. I have been doing really good at some local places and learning my detector. There is a lot of potential in the ghost towns, though I learned that 4-wheeling a lot of the roads, gotta have 4-wheel drive. As I write, it is snowing! But tomorrow it is supposed to get up to 70 in Denver. This is going to be a wet, muddy year off-roading. this year. Love it!!!!!

Curt

reiferman

Sep 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dano91 said:
I was kinda worried about those signs saying No collecting of artifacts on Pawnee natl grassland's

I actually checked and Keota is not owned by the USFS as are the Pawnee Grasslands. It is private property. So if you get permission to do so, go for it! :)

HH
The Reiferman

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
MD buddies, Gold-N-Detectors has a large selection of books that run about $5.95 each that covers Ghost Towns and Mines in various Colorado counties. Each book gives a short story about each town and also includes a map noting the locations. One great thing about these books is they let you know if they are on private property or not. Would recommend these books for your private collection.

49er

pseudodragon

Greenie
Jan 7, 2006
Hi everyone,

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm in Colorado (Westminster, between Denver and Boulder) and am excited about my new MD'ing hobby. If any of you have any day trips planned coming up this spring or summer and wouldn't mind a newbie along, I'd love to hear from you. I'd be just as excited to find an artifact as I would silver or (gulp!) gold coins. I don't care if it's a ghost town, CCC camp, miner's cabin, or someone's front yard! I would want to get permission for any private property digs, though. I just want to get out and have some fun with it. Anything I find along the way is a bonus. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you.

Thanks!
Gary

p.s.
Thanks for the tips on books and resources. I'm an internet wiz and do a fair amount of reading, so I'll be researching possible locations soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread