Anyone know how to date a well?

farmgirl

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2014
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I discovered a well or a cistern while metal detecting. It was covered up/sealed by a steel plate. The property was homesteaded in 1836. And the steel plate was from a creamery that I don't know when the creamery started but I know was sold in approximately 1914.

I just wanted to know if there was any way to date the well or the bricks used to make it.

It was about 4 feet deep and approximately 2 1/2 feet wide.

Thanks for all the help!

IMG_7113.jpg IMG_7154.jpg IMG_7121.jpg IMG_7122.jpg IMG_7156.jpg

SkaBa

Jul 26, 2014
CenTex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the well was filled in or silted up. Usually way deeper than 4 feet deep to hit the water table.

Neat find.

Upvote 0

Ozarkshunter

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2014
Southwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
white's mxt pro and fisher cz-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the well was filled in or silted up. Usually way deeper than 4 feet deep to hit the water table.

Neat find.

That's what I was thinking, or maybe even not a well at all, but a place to hide things judging by how far under the soil the actual lid was. That's a interesting find for sure.

Upvote 0

osage express

Oct 22, 2012
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236-x2 --Whites TM808---Whites Bullseye 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found a cistern.We hunt old ghost towns and find brick cisterns all the time

Upvote 0

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Looks a little shallow but they may have hit solid rock or had other water sources. I've seen them here from 6-8' up to twice that deep and 6-8' across. I've seen several at houses on hilltops that would never had gotten down to a water table. They had the guttering off the house run into the cistern. I hate to find them uncovered.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread