Anyone know of Grainger shipwreck in Carolina Waters?

Spirit29

Jan 25, 2006
Dear All,

Does anyone have knowledge of a sunken vessel in North or South Carolina waters that would go by the name "the Grainger" ?

A reputable friend insists on an "urban legend" amoung the seaworthy boat captains that a valuable wreck called the Grainger is waiting to be found. I have checked many different references and can only come up with the USS Grainger - AK-184 that was decommissioned and ultimately disposed of in 1960 on the west coast of the US. I surmise that the Grainger may be a "nick name" or the name of the theororist. Another possibility would be the "Grayhound" ( La Galga) which is phonetically similar. Grainger is apparently the correct spelling as I have it written.

Does anyone have any familiarity or knowledge of a supposed wreck in the Carolina waters or North Atlantic?

Thank you,

Dave Jabs
Raleigh, NC

OP
OP
S

Spirit29

Jan 25, 2006
Dear Friends,

I am answering my own question for those of you dying to know about the Grainger. I sent queries to several resources simultaneously and I now have at least part of the answer and a theory.

The Grainer Wreck is located at N 33.55.50 W 77 14.00. It is listed by that name on a few of the 'Ole Fisherman's charts. Some fisherman named Grainger probably decided to call it such. I received the reference from a boat capt in NC and actually saw the chart listing the wreck.

In reality however, this is another unidentified wreck found in the vicinity of the Esso Nashville. This area is fertile with known and unknown wreckage from the U-boat terrors in 1942-43. As a matter of fact, reviewing my data sources, I find two separate shipwrecks at this exact location. Collided...No...different timeframes. Historically interesting wrecks perhaps, but I think there is confusion over names and fortunes and another ship (similar name) did dumped a ton of gold on the ocean floor on the very same day that our "Grainger wreck" was sent to the bottom. The other wreck was up near Iceland if you wish to go looking for that gold.

Sounds like a nice dive that I will need to make just be check the possibility that my theory could be wrong. I understand there is quite a bit of relief on the wreck(s). A positive ID has never been made on the Grainger but one of the two wrecks was a U-Boat casualty.

Dave--

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
even though you have it written it could be granger, or if in Confederate times possibly graynger............just a thought

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions