Anyone know the coin return process after a dump?

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
12 Straight skunk boxes this past week made me think of what happens to the coins after they are dumped. I have ordered from 4 different banks in my area and every one looks identical no matter which bank I get it from, ie. same box, wraps and # on the box, which leads me to believe these all come from the same place and one big truck drops off to all the banks in my area. Are the coins in one big city or area handled by one service? I am one who hates when I see peoples marks on coins as I just don't believe in marking them so I have no idea if I am dumping coins and getting them right back the next week or so. I have many towns that are within 10 miles that I could try and at least see if I am getting the same # on the box.

Anyone have any idea on how process works and things I might do different. I have no notion that I won't run into skunks, but 12 straight was a bit much and started me thinking maybe I am just recycling my own coins.

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd like to know also. I do know that in my area, banks A, B, and C all send their coin by armored carrier to main bank D. They may be re-rolled by bank D.

OP
OP
MentalUnrest

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
I always thought It would help to dump at different banks rather than just a different branch of where I order from, but when I see the same # on boxes at 4 different banks, it seems like it makes no difference as they seem to all go to the same place. Even if I did mark the coins and saw I was getting the same ones back a week or two later, what could I do? If all the banks use the same service they are all going to be coming and going to the main site, which I found out is in Omaha.

It does not deter me and I will still order my 10 boxes a week as surely the dry spell will pass and I will start to see silver again sometime.....right? :icon_scratch: I just have to keep telling myself this is a hobby and not a sure fire way to earn extra money. Thoughts like that lead to frustration.

buckanear

Oct 27, 2009
I change coins every so often.In my area it seems what I search dries up and slowly replenishes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread