Anyone know the store...

Brandon Elder

Apr 26, 2013
Gaffney, SC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This token has been in my family for many years, and has been passed down a couple generations. My question is does anyone know what store it was used for? I know it was located here in Gaffney, SC and as you can see from the token it says Limestone at the top, we did have a huge limestone quarry here before they ruptured an underground spring which over time completely filled the quarry in. My great grandpa worked in this quarry and I would assume this token was something he received to be used in a store that was for the quarry workers. I was just looking for a definite answer if anybody has one.

IMAG0504.png

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Brandon, welcome to TNET.
Limestone Mill was a cotton mill organized in 1900. It is now known as Hamrick Mills. This was probably given to workers as pay to use in a store in town as one of the founders of the mill, Dr. Wylie C. Hamrick, owned drugstores and a dry goods store in the town.

It is a known example and this site would like a picture of it. If you would please contact them and let them know you have a photo of it it would help a lot of other collectors out:

LIMESTONE / MILLS STORE / GAFFNEY, S.C. (TC-330870) Gaffney, South Carolina, U.S.A.

OP
OP
B

Brandon Elder

Apr 26, 2013
Gaffney, SC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Brandon, welcome to TNET.
Limestone Mill was a cotton mill organized in 1900. It is now known as Hamrick Mills. This was probably given to workers as pay to use in a store in town as one of the founders of the mill, Dr. Wylie C. Hamrick, owned drugstores and a dry goods store in the town.

It is a known example and this site would like a picture of it. If you would please contact them and let them know you have a photo of it it would help a lot of other collectors out:

LIMESTONE / MILLS STORE / GAFFNEY, S.C. (TC-330870) Gaffney, South Carolina, U.S.A.

Thank you for the explanation and I will get them a picture over there at tokencatalog.com. Also it's amazing what you learn because I worked at Hamrick Mills for about 4 years, my grandpa retired from there after 43 years, and my dad still works there today and has been there about 25 years. It's still up and running today. I used to play golf with Wylie and his sons, and his grandsons as my grandpa was very good friends with all of them. My great grandma worked at the Limestone Mill for several years. Thanks again for the explanation.

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for the explanation and I will get them a picture over there at tokencatalog.com. Also it's amazing what you learn because I worked at Hamrick Mills for about 4 years, my grandpa retired from there after 43 years, and my dad still works there today and has been there about 25 years. It's still up and running today. I used to play golf with Wylie and his sons, and his grandsons as my grandpa was very good friends with all of them. My great grandma worked at the Limestone Mill for several years. Thanks again for the explanation.

Your welcome Brandon. It's always fun when you find something you can tie into your families history and the history of the town you live in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions