Anyone know what this blue crystal type rock is?

F

Felinepeachy

I'll try to describe this the best I can.

It's crystal like in nature and it is a rich blue color with a pale green coating on some areas. The areas that look nearly white are just areas of the pale green that the flash washed out. It's not very heavy for a "rock" and I don't know where it came from. I can get better pics later but I only had my cell phone last night so these pics are the best I have at the moment.

Attachments

• gary15.jpg
    gary15.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 2,798
  • gary12.jpg
    gary12.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 4,824

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
A number of possibilities.

Azurite and Lapis lazuli come to mind in the rock areas.

Blue vitrol (copper sulfate/sulphate) strikes me as a possibility for a chemical compound. Especially the dark blue/purple areas. Copper sulfate is poisonous, used to treat hoof-rot in sheep, cattle and goats. The white powdery material on the exterior suggests this as a possibility, as it does oxidize slowly in air.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Felinepeachy

Tuberale said:
A number of possibilities.

Azurite and Lapis lazuli come to mind in the rock areas.

Blue vitrol (copper sulfate/sulphate) strikes me as a possibility for a chemical compound. Especially the dark blue/purple areas. Copper sulfate is poisonous, used to treat hoof-rot in sheep, cattle and goats. The white powdery material on the exterior suggests this as a possibility, as it does oxidize slowly in air.

Oh goodness, how poisonous? I tapped it on my teeth to see if it was stone. I don't feel so good now LOL
wacko.gif

Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Can't tell you how poisonous copper sulphate is. I used to use it on the farm growing up. Us kids were told, in no uncertain terms, to keep our mouths SHUT when near the walk-through dip vat.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Felinepeachy

Well at this point I just want to know if I am a gonner :-\

Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
At the very least I'd wash my hands. If copper sulphate, will interact with moisture on the skin. Another point: copper culphate in solution (water) smells AWFUL (but a quick test, too).

Upvote 0

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not that unsafe so do not worry , yes you do not want to ingest anymore than you have to but I have used this stuff for years in water cooling systems in mines . It can become toxic and can give you a real bad case of Dust pneumonia if you breath in enough dust from it , but you have not .

And I am not sure that is what you have found ! But it does look like it could be.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Felinepeachy

Thanks for all the info guys.

I've learned a valuable lesson and that is to never put an unknown substance in your mouth LOL

Upvote 0

Gold_Striker

Sep 27, 2010
Denver,CO
Detector(s) used
xterra 705 by minelab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is one gorgeous stone to me! :icon_sunny:

I think I might be a rock hound ever since I began to study the geology of gold and realised that if I know rocks then I can know where to look for the valuable rocks! lol :laughing7:

Upvote 0

uthunter

Sep 7, 2010
Cache County, Utah
Looks like it might be Azurite (the blue) & Chrysocilla (the green). Both are copper ores, in my area, Northern Utah, the old copper mines have both. They also get turquoise from the Kenecot mines.

Peacock Pyrite has copper sulphate in it, that is what give it the rainbow look.

Just remember, never lick a rock to see what it looks like wet. You never know where it has been.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Peacock Pyrite?

Are your referring to peacock ore (Bornite) or am I missing something? :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
I'll bet he is thinking of peacock ore, bornite. And rubbing rock on your teeth? I think that you are thinking of pearls. Keep doing that and you won't have many teeth left. My first thought was sodalite also, but I haven't much basis for that guess. The copper options are possibly more likely.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread