ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS MAP SYMBOL IS?

RodneyU

Oct 3, 2021
Ive looked at the 1875 maps a lot to find some good some good spots. I had a buddy text me tonight with a large parcel he owns to metal detect. So I looked it all up on my old maps and I seen something I've never seen and I need a little help identifying what the symbol means. Im guessing a old graveyard but im not sure. All help is appreciated. It has a creek on both sides with a cross in a square in between the forks.

Attachments

• IMG_9582 copy.jpg
    IMG_9582 copy.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 23

Goldbuggy

Tenderfoot
Jun 23, 2022
I agree, maybe a graveyard, or maybe X marks the spot? If you go & it’s not a graveyard. Could stand for England, the old Union Jack. JMHO

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Church? Medical center? The Swiss consulate perhaps?

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with your belief that it's a small cemetery. Found this map legend symbols for a small and large cemetery...

Cemetery: small; large
s112.gif

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive looked at the 1875 maps a lot to find some good some good spots. I had a buddy text me tonight with a large parcel he owns to metal detect. So I looked it all up on my old maps and I seen something I've never seen and I need a little help identifying what the symbol means. Im guessing a old graveyard but im not sure. All help is appreciated. It has a creek on both sides with a cross in a square in between the forks.
I’m thinking that it’s a graveyard or church
Good luck on your first hunt there!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most old topos I've seen that'd be a cemetery or graveyard. Go on the websites and compare the legends of those to your map.

OP
OP
R

RodneyU

Oct 3, 2021
Most old topos I've seen that'd be a cemetery or graveyard. Go on the websites and compare the legends of those to your map.
I find it odd that there are not many houses in this area. Maybe two or three at the most. also it is odd to put a cemetery in the middle of a fork in a creek. Flooding and such.

OP
OP
R

RodneyU

Oct 3, 2021
The obvious: Have you asked your buddy who owns the land what is there today?
Don.
There is nothing there. The land is as wooded today and untouched as it was in 1875. not like it was a town and it had a large cemetery with lots of towns folk. My buddy owns the land now but before that no one was allowed on it.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it odd that there are not many houses in this area. Maybe two or three at the most. also it is odd to put a cemetery in the middle of a fork in a creek. Flooding and such.
Cemetaries generally aren't close to houses and such. Good point on the creek. Worth finding older maps of that area. Very possible the creek wasn't there when the cemetery was started.

Check the library of Congress site they should have older maps for comparison.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread