Anyone know who made this lock?

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked this up today for 50 cents. Was wrapped up in plastic in the bottom of a box of old items at a sale. I asked the lady how much & she said oh that is old so just 50 cents... I was like ok no problem I'll take it. I was sure she was going to say she wanted a lot for it since it was old but nope the exact opposite. Anyhow does anyone recognize this lock or know who made it as it is not marked that I can see and I know it's not a reproduction.
DSC03680.JPG DSC03682.JPG

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that looks exactly like it except for all the numbers & letters on it. This one has no markings what so ever & shows the correct wear in the correct places that a very old lock would have. This is an old lock, an old reproduction perhaps? It is not the exact one on Amazon & eBay.

Last edited:

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do an image search on google for 'authentic antique padlock' you will see some that look like it. But everyone I looked at was a reproduction. If you use that phrase on ebay there is a working winchester that is close that sold bin for $150. I think inspecting really closely to tell if it's authentic will make a big difference. Since it is iron, I don't know, but that rust looks a little too bright to me, but that could be the pic. I wonder if you looked inside if you might see modern or handmade workings???

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do an image search on google for 'authentic antique padlock' you will see some that look like it. But everyone I looked at was a reproduction. If you use that phrase on ebay there is a working winchester that is close that sold bin for $150. I think inspecting really closely to tell if it's authentic will make a big difference. Since it is iron, I don't know, but that rust looks a little too bright to me, but that could be the pic. I wonder if you looked inside if you might see modern or handmade workings???

I've had several antique guys look at it & they are all convinced it is old. I know a guy who knows a lot about old locks & keys but I wont see him till next Wednesday. The inside (from what I can see) is not modern looking in the slightest. There is a leather strip of some kind under the hinge of the side that doesn't actually open (the pivot side) & this leather is what you would expect 1800's weathered leather to look like (as in almost worn away but it is barely still there). Everything I find comes up as a reproduction too but I do know you can't list rail road locks on eBay as rail road locks or your ad will get pulled (they didn't use to but they do now so I'm told). Same as you are not supposed to sell rail road spikes & the like. So maybe any that are real have to be listed as fake or something? BUT this is not a rail road lock it is a locker lock from what I read.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think a repro would have some sort of marking or fake/fantasy plate on it to give it more appeal. It looks correct to me. As for who made it, I don't have a clue.
I didn't know about the railroad lock thing on ebay nowadays. :dontknow: Years ago I sold a bunch of railroad locks with keys and didn't have any problems. This has to be the dumbest rule ebay has. These locks are collector items period. They are not used by the railroads today. This is a prime example of the head a-holes in charge being out of touch with the real world, period.

edit- I think the real reason they aren't allowed anymore is because of.........
wait........ wait for the drumroll ............ drumroll please..........

********The Department of Homeland Security!*********

Yes, that's right folks. Basically the doh's
homersimpson.gif
at the DOH have rated railroad locks as extremely dangerous and a potential terrorist threat.

Welcome to Amerika!

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They sell re-pops of locks like these as old locks use in prisons & insane asylum's. Prison locks - Locks - Vintage Military - Shoulder Bags - Duffel - Prison Padlocks - Poison Bags Looking at the outer plates I believe they were cut from hot rolled sheet metal as I see the thin layer of slag, cold rolled has a cleaner surface, could be just worn black paint? I'd need to hold it to see for sure. I can't tell how old or who made the lock. I would think it would have a name on it if it was old, plus I'm not seeing whole bunch of wear on the shackle and would expect to see a deeper brown bronze look of patina on the brass piece. From what I see in just a picture on line I would put my money on it being a modern reproduction made in the way of a type lock used in the past. The lack of refinement in construction of it just gives me that feeling.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lock is probably early 1920's-1940's and made in India or somewhere thereabouts. It is not a reproduction or a fantasy lock. To be such, it would have to have a fake or fantasy plate on it from some prison or railroad or what have you. That being said, these are definitely the type of locks that are used for making the fakes and fantasies. It is explained here- more fake locks reprospg2
So, all in all it's a generic import with some age to it.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lock is probably early 1920's-1940's and made in India or somewhere thereabouts. It is not a reproduction or a fantasy lock. To be such, it would have to have a fake or fantasy plate on it from some prison or railroad or what have you. That being said, these are definitely the type of locks that are used for making the fakes and fantasies. It is explained here- more fake locks reprospg2
So, all in all it's a generic import with some age to it.
My take on why no fantasy plate is, simply no one put it on this this one. If you think about it? That would be an accessory that would be easily added to a lot of already made locks buy order request from a buyer. I'm not discounting what you say, I'm just not sold that this lock is older then 20 years. I also believe this is a product of India just the same. I being in the past a PA for manufactures of heavy construction and mining equipment do know any good metallurgical lab could just about verify a match and good probability on were the steel was produced and even a range of when it was produced. This is all only my belief so far on this lock and I wouldn't buy it as an old antique lock from what I see of it at this point. I'm not a Rick Harrison who can call in an expert in ever event like this. I can only trust what I'm sure of, but my gut says the lock and the keys are a fantasy with no name.

Last edited:
OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses! I am coming to the conclusion you guys are. I have also found the India locks online for sale in quantity. This size of lock seems to not be the size that is the most popular to turn into a fantasy lock but that said this lock is sold as a fantasy lock or reproduction lock all over the place online. When I found it, I was at a GS of a 60+ year old lady & it was in the bottom of a box that had a bunch of old 1940's thru maybe 1950's mens stuff & it was wrapped up in a clear stiff like plastic bag & a bunch of the rust that came off the lock was still in the bag.

tamrock there is missing & or worn black paint on it. Almost more like it slightly rusted under the paint & thus flaked the paint off above those areas. Actually there is very very little black paint left on it but it once was all black (even the brass piece looks like it was once painted black?). Here are some closer & different angle pix. BTY the camera flash makes the rust look brighter than it looks in person. The brass piece is very functional as it really tightly seals over the keyhole. When you slide it into place over the keyhole it stays unless you purposely move it with your fingers.
DSC03691.JPG DSC03692.JPG DSC03693.JPG DSC03694.JPG DSC03695.JPG

EDIT... This is something that is throwing me. There is a piece or strip of material under & around the pivot or hinge side. It even goes from one side to the other. Like a buffer so if the lock rusted it wouldn't seize up. This material is almost worn away but not quite. At first I thought something got caight up in it but then realized that it was made in there & doesn't or wont come out. Looks & feels like burlap to me!
DSC0369300.jpg

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, Now I've got a better picture of this item. Yes indeed, from these views it does appear to be older then I could tell from the first pictures. I am now thinking it is a crudely made functional old lock. How old and by who and from where it came?, I can only guess. I'm thinking though your right on this one Diggum. An old hand built lock made in a non union, no safety rules, dirt floor metal shop in India a long time ago.

Attachments

• young-laborer-makes-metal-components-bangladesh-factory-.jpe
    young-laborer-makes-metal-components-bangladesh-factory-.jpe
    66.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks tamrock! I pretty much agree with ya! Here is some INFO that might back up India as the origin. I also bought an English/British Wilkinson bayonet 1907 from this lady. Many British military people were stationed in India & also trade between India & England was always a big thing so I could believe someone from England might have acquired something like this back in the day. I bet digg is right on with his date estimate.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread