Anyone like old boats?

mwinpenny

Nov 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes aquanut, your 20 years in repairing old boats is respectable, but if you do really have a love for the older more well designed wooden boats and can afford it, it is worth the investment. I have also worked on, and reborn wooden boats on the Chesapeake bay for over 20. And the truth is the purchaser should have the same amount of love for the wooden creations before taking that endeavor, and why look at wooden boats in the first place if not an interest. And to add before ending, wooden boats handle rough seas better than fiberglass, when known how to handle.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Aquanut just helped me finish rebuilding my Grady White 24' offshore.

Grady1.jpg

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
I have spent nearly twenty years of my life repairing old boats for a living. All I can say is ...Don't do this to yourself!
Aquanut

Here is our second oldest boat. We did a stick up rebuild over eight years. I  original stem photo HR.jpg Stem Yvonne & Me.JPG She put one great shipwright in the grave but he worked on her to his end.. She is 100 years old! Built in 1915 in Stockton, Califorina, at the Stephens Boat Works. 20150608_154324.jpg 20150221_150813.jpg

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking Owens, but........having owned a boat since I have been 16 (59 now) Unless you have a big bag of money, and I do mean a very big bag. Just go get the most high end detector you can find and that would be what you would spend in a year of slip rental at least in San Diego ( mine were $6,000 a year). That not including the mandatory insurance about $500 to $1000 every year and don't forget a yearly haul out for maintenance, that's another $2000 to $3000. Ya still want that boat now?
I no longer have a large boat. I just recently bought a 15' Montgomery trailer sailor because my big bag of money has really gotten a lot smaller.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a tiny 14' Enterprise sailboat that's all wood and it just sails through life in my backyard. Lol!

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Yes aquanut, your 20 years in repairing old boats is respectable, but if you do really have a love for the older more well designed wooden boats and can afford it, it is worth the investment. I have also worked on, and reborn wooden boats on the Chesapeake bay for over 20. And the truth is the purchaser should have the same amount of love for the wooden creations before taking that endeavor, and why look at wooden boats in the first place if not an interest. And to add before ending, wooden boats handle rough seas better than fiberglass, when known how to handle.

I grew up on the Chesapeake and am quite familiar with the old wooden boats there. All I can say is I've watched way too many crushed to death because the owners ran out of money. A very sad thing...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread