Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Good luck. I bet u found a treasure map and it leads to Haiti. Keep us posted brother.

sponge using smoke signals.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

BVI Hunter, I have no idea how many U.S. citizens visit Haiti each year. perhaps your statistic of "hundreds of thousands" is accurate. I am unaware of tourist beaches there, versus other south american/mexican/latin/carribean tourist beach resorts. But your thread has revealed an interesting psychology ! Notice all the doom and gloom posts. Certain to be mugged, killed, etc.... I guess it's human nature to read of horror stories, in places that have ghettos (Detroit, south-side-of-Chicago, etc...) and then people's imaginations run wild.

The city that I live in, for instance, has our "bad side of the tracks" and vice-district gang-banger area of town. And in this 1/4 of our city, there's always stabbings, shootings, arrests, blight, etc.... And because of this, our city has gotten the reputation of being "unsafe", horrible, blighted, etc..... Yet truth-be-told, that's only ~1/4 of the city here. And so long as you're not ST#PID and waltzing around 11pm on a Saturday PM wearing certain colors and shouting gang slogans to other 17 yr old punks, then you're perfectly fine! There's plenty of nice upscale areas of our city. But none of this makes any difference to people of upscale towns in our county. They just have it in their mind that this city is one giant crime ridden mess.

So too does it seem to be the same psychology for your Haiti situation. If indeed there's safe areas, and if tourists do go there safely as you say, and so long as you're not visiting the red-light and drug den areas, or strolling the beach at midnight with $100 bills hanging out of your pocket, then ok. eh ?

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good luck and put the vodoo related stuff back if you find some

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
BVI-

I'll be down in the DR next week or so. Along the south side by the border with Haiti. If you find yourself near Barahona look me up.

I'll be the other fat white guy-

Somehow I think it's safer than Chicago. Last weekend 82 shot, over 14 killed. (and that's just the 4th of July holiday weekend)

Somebody actually complaining about Haiti?

Screen Shot 2014-07-10 at 10.04.25 PM.png

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!!:thumbsup:

I'll lose myself in the crowds..... "Hundreds of thousands of U.S. citizens safely visit Haiti each year".........:laughing7:
Those U.S. citizens visiting are Haitian U.S. citizens.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BVI Hunter, I have no idea how many U.S. citizens visit Haiti each year. perhaps your statistic of "hundreds of thousands" is accurate. I am unaware of tourist beaches there, versus other south american/mexican/latin/carribean tourist beach resorts. But your thread has revealed an interesting psychology ! Notice all the doom and gloom posts. Certain to be mugged, killed, etc.... I guess it's human nature to read of horror stories, in places that have ghettos (Detroit, south-side-of-Chicago, etc...) and then people's imaginations run wild.

The city that I live in, for instance, has our "bad side of the tracks" and vice-district gang-banger area of town. And in this 1/4 of our city, there's always stabbings, shootings, arrests, blight, etc.... And because of this, our city has gotten the reputation of being "unsafe", horrible, blighted, etc..... Yet truth-be-told, that's only ~1/4 of the city here. And so long as you're not ST#PID and waltzing around 11pm on a Saturday PM wearing certain colors and shouting gang slogans to other 17 yr old punks, then you're perfectly fine! There's plenty of nice upscale areas of our city. But none of this makes any difference to people of upscale towns in our county. They just have it in their mind that this city is one giant crime ridden mess.

So too does it seem to be the same psychology for your Haiti situation. If indeed there's safe areas, and if tourists do go there safely as you say, and so long as you're not visiting the red-light and drug den areas, or strolling the beach at midnight with $100 bills hanging out of your pocket, then ok. eh ?
You think Haiti is no worse than the U.S?.....HA,HA,HA,HA,HA. :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BVI-

I'll be down in the DR next week or so. Along the south side by the border with Haiti. If you find yourself near Barahona look me up.

Somehow I think it's safer than Chicago. Last weekend 82 shot, over 14 killed. (and that's just the 4th of July holiday weekend)

View attachment 1020951
A night in Chicago is like a night at Disney World compared to Haiti.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Those U.S. citizens visiting are Haitian U.S. citizens.

Do those USA citizen Haitians, going back to visit Haiti, get mugged, killed, robbed, etc....? Or do they go back to visit kin-folk, walk the beach, etc... without incident ? Are saying is that potential muggers size up their victims, and: If they're white fair skinned people, they get rolled. But if they're Haitian looking, well then they're fine ?

This might be true by the way! I'm sure that the color of your skin might dictate what happens to you , if you were in the south side of Chicago, or bad parts of Detroit, etc.... But by that token, then it would be ok for a Haitian tourist (perhaps this OP has a Latin/dark-skinned look ?) and metal detect the beaches then ?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to Worldnomads.com...he asked about detecting in Haiti and people are just trying to warn him...can you think of a place that would be worse than Haiti to go detecting at?

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to Worldnomads.com...he asked about detecting in Haiti and people are just trying to warn him...can you think of a place that would be worse than Haiti to go detecting at?
Well, besides Antarctica, the other three countries I was thinking, topped Haiti on the lists.
60 Worst Countries in the World | World Picture News

It's such a poor impoverished nation, I can't imagine much "tourists treasure" to be found.
But ya never know. I'd go with GIBs idea, that's why I said, go to the other side of Hispaniola.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUISE SHIPS STILL GO THERE - BUT FRIENDS I KNOW THAT HAVE GONE - WILL STAY ON BOAT AND PASS AT THAT STOP

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tom, thanks for the great answer - I couldn't agree more. That's why I asked "who has actually been"
I got the 'hundreds of thousands of US visitors" from the state department link posted earlier!

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BVI-

View attachment 1020951

Thanks! another sensible answer! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A night in Chicago is like a night at Disney World compared to Haiti.

Lookindown - what areas are the worst, what are better, what are the tourist areas?
I need to utilize your experience there!

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I detected in Basra once, during GW2 :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's such a poor impoverished nation, I can't imagine much "tourists treasure" to be found.
But ya never know. I'd go with GIBs idea, that's why I said, go to the other side of Hispaniola.

CAT- well put, thanks.
I agree its very impoverished. I like that you put it that way rather than screaming "DONT GO YOU'LL BE KILLED!!":laughing7:

Its NOT tourist stuff I am after btw. and I would go to the DR but my research leads me elsewhere!:thumbsup:

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BVI, pay for my way there and all my expenses and i will go with you:) What research are you doing concerning this area? Maybe I can assist.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure where you got that amount from????

And are you questioning my weight?:laughing7: I HAVE been working out you know....!
I got the Amount from the History Channel !! And Fat Torist was for the Amount of money that you have,You are going over there with a Detector that a person in Haiti could never buy in their Life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread