Anyone now of a Manual GB detector under $400??

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Anyone now of a Manual GB detector under $300??

Discovery 3300 by Bounty Hunter. Sold by Radio Shack a cuple years ago around 175-200 bucks has manual ground balance, VDI, Target ID, Pinpoint mode. Lots of features for the price. Works pretty well. A few bugs such as a real affinity for Iron targets even when discriminated out. Sometimes you have to shut it off and back on if it starts going haywire on ya. Very few times this happened to me. I just recently purchased an Ace 250 but I still like the BH. Hope this gives you something to at least consider. HH Steve

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro

I have a Tesoro Bandido I'll sell for less then $300.

capguntom

Greenie
Jun 8, 2008

Hi ,,,, Check EBAY, for the older Garrett  GROUNDHOG detectors,,,,, They are the 15 K HERTZ detectors that laid  the foundation for    Garrett's  "Scorpion Gold Stinger"  I have two of them,,, the oldest I bought in 1972.
The other one was made in  1975, Both are operational.  I have worked areas  right after others with newer machines and have found silver coins,rings(gold and silver) ,Pennies,nickels and clads, I suppose at depths the others were not able to reach.  I will NEVER give up My OLDIE "GROUNDHOG " The GROUNDHOG has two modes of op.: VLF
(VERY LOW FREQUENCY) all metal ,  and TR (TRANSMIT-RECEIVE) Descriminate. In VLF mode you can        Ground Ballance manually. The Groundhog is NOT a MOTION Detector. Pin-Pointing is easy ,since the siglal does not disapear if you stay over the target.  (ON my oldie ,PUSH BUTTON IN End of hand grip) Just stay on target ,press button,the signal is reduced,go back to target area  and aquire the signal again, press button , each time you press button, the target area is reduced,until there is only a very small area under the center of the coil that will produce a BEEP,,target WILL be directly beneath X on coil. I hunt in VLF mode,,,then flip the mode switch to Discriminate (IF I am COIN Shooting ,Discrimination set only so much to eliminate pulltab ,
nails and some other iron oblects.
On EBAY the older Groundhogs usually go for $100 and $150.    There are two models of these Push-Button detectors, THe LIGHT WEIGHT(Controls on top of box), and the Master hunter Grounghog(Side mounted controls . Both are very sensitive to small Iron objects,,,, hair pins give me fits. So I descriminate when coin shooting.... That said,, I DIG ALL Signals,,,,,and recover all items,,,,,trash as well as treasure . As most TH'er's
know,some treasure sounds like trash,  I have dug childs Gold rings that reacted like pulltabs. 
Any way,that is my  take on a good ,cheap manual GROUND BALLANCING detector.
        Garrett,Ground HOG (2), Garrett Scorpion GOLD Stinger(1) , Minelab XT18000 (for sale)
      FYI    Tom SR. capguntom

Attachments

• Groundhog meter and push button.JPG
    Groundhog meter and push button.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 426

capguntom

Greenie
Jun 8, 2008

Larry; More pics of Groundhog
capguntom

Attachments

• Groundhog Coin hunter tag.JPG
    Groundhog Coin hunter tag.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 409

capguntom

Greenie
Jun 8, 2008
One more Pic Of GropundHog,,THE LAST ONE.
Capguntom

Attachments

• Groundhog  controls Lft.2.JPG
    Groundhog controls Lft.2.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 401

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
that is the most beautiful detector i have ever seen! :thumbsup:b

capguntom

Greenie
Jun 8, 2008
Re: Anyone know of a Manual GB detector under $400??

Hi Bucket;;; Thanks, glad you liked it. This old detector has been a faithfull friend now for 31 years.
Question ???? Does any one else have a detector (still working and in regular use) as old as this one?
I recently bought another Groundhog off EBAY,maybe a couple of years younger than the one pictured,,,
and it is in good working order also. Speaks pretty good for GARRETT quality would'nt you say?
My Garrett Gold Stinger is fine for the gold fields,but I still prefer the old groundhog for coin shooting.
Regards,, Capguntom ( "Nichols" capgun collector)

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go with a Tesoro Bandito. They are great all around detectors and are very effective. I have owned two of them. I am now on to Minelabs but I still own one Tesoro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread