Anyone seen this on a coin before

prizm II

Dec 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites prizm II
Looks like a 64 Kennedy Half, (I cleaned part of the edge looking for copper, only silver showing). At first I thought it was lead spilled onto the coin, but the metal is pretty hard. Could it possibly be silver? If nothing else I'll grind it off to have a 90% coin.

Attachments

• 64-half.gif
    64-half.gif
    178.3 KB · Views: 519

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Looks like lead to me. While I have never found a coin like yours, I have found two pieces of lead that had a coin "image" in it. One piece of lead had a Shield Nickel image in it, the other, a Wheat Penny. I attempted to recreate some coin images by melting lead then pressing a coin in it as it was cooling...worked pretty good. I have never tried dripping the lead directly on the coin...probably would work much better, if you pulled the lead off the coin at just the right time. Why would anyone want to do this?! I did it out of curiosity.....I would never have thought of it!

OP
OP
prizm II

prizm II

Dec 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites prizm II
Thanks for the reply 1320, if its lead I'll try a torch on it tomarrow and get rid of it. If it is a 64 Kennedy it has about $4.40 in silver!!

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Prizm, It looks like it has been in a fire or has had heat applied to it. That would seem to be the likely explanation for the surface bubbles on the coin. Anyway, it has melt value (no pun intended) as a 90% silver coin.
Bob

OP
OP
prizm II

prizm II

Dec 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites prizm II
SO MUCH FOR USING HEAT!! Next time I'll try the Dremmel. I'll still try to sell it for silver. I hate seeing a coin ruined, even if only a common Kennedy half.

Attachments

• torched---a.gif
    torched---a.gif
    123.9 KB · Views: 330
  • torched---b.gif
    torched---b.gif
    124.8 KB · Views: 318

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread