mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried it - one time - off the Coney Island Pier, my ex-brother-in-law was doing it.

I found a lighter - an old, decrepid lighter, half eaten away - I think used to be a Zippo, but not sure, hooked to a piece of an old crab trap. (and I mean a piece. (if it didn't have a little part-link, I wouldn't even have thought it was a crab pot), tangled with some old line, and weeds.

That was before the days of the rare-earth magnets, so - there is probably LOTS of stuff, especially fishing stuff, out there.

I also saw some guys in the James River in Virginia "magnet fishing" - they were looking for old firearms and cannons. (we were fishing for fish).

Beth

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dahut, it looks to be SS items left either during their advance, or their final retreat in Jan 1945. I found this website after a quick google search

ttp://www.aberjonapress.com/maps/maps.html

It appears they did find some type of Nazi container from the video.. They must have researched the final battle that went on for 4 days.. Doesn't look like that area was developed at all, and there must be tons more right on land :dontknow:

drgeorge

May 25, 2008
Pálháza
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Int'l)
It's not a matter of being in water, but in the mucky silt at the bottom. Alot of the stuff also stays well preserved in the peetbogs that are very frequent in some parts of Russia. It really is amazing--like they were left there only yesterday!!!

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dahut said:
Why was all that stuff in the water? And it was amazingly well preserved.

Most of those things were probably lost in winter when the lake was frozen over and troops were crossing it or fighting right there.

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
Several years ago when my kids were young (they're in they're 40's today) my son come home with a story about a bike being dumped in the local park pound off a fishing dock.

I owned a 75 pound rated magnet back then so we tied a marine nylon rope to it and went to the park to see if the bike was there. The first throw produced a large object I could not get it up as it kept coming off the megnet. We went to the hardware store and got a large three looped hook and went back. The first throw this time produced the bike, a second throw produced a second bike. After two more throws I had found three bikes, two recently thrown in and one that had been there for some time.

Now the bottom of this pond is full of black gumbo (about two to three feet deep) that has accumulated from decaying leaves over probably a hundred years. This stuff stinks to high heaven and is very hard to get off. We took the bikes home and cleaned them off as best we could with a garden hose and called the police to report our find. We were told two bikes had been stolen at a local school recently and the owner was a local pharmacist. We contacted him and him and his two kids came down that afternoon. He gave my kids a ten dollar reward for finding the bikes.

I'm glad I'm not the one that had to make them usable again as they were still a stinky mess.

Rick :coffee2:

RvaDiggn

Jun 13, 2011
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x, F2 Nautlius DMC IIb
I thought about getting a rare earth magnet off ebay and use it to pull out CW shells from the river. I ended up never getting one, still a real good idea though.

reeceaian

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2011
I bought 30 rare earth neodymium magnets from eBay, screwed them all to an 18 inch 2x2 piece of wood and then attached a 50 foot piece of rope to it. The weight of the magnets bring down the buoyancy of the wood and it sinks right to the bottom. We have an old irrigation canal close to here and have recovered dozens of fishing hooks, sinkers and tackle, bottle caps and junk metal, nothing special. Last month we brought it up to our cottage and dragged the width of the lake which was about 200 feet across at that point. Although I thought I'd drudge up more stuff in the lake, I found nothing. I'll keep trying.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
where would you get these magnets? OhioDeb
I got mine at Harbor Freight years ago ... And i was in there the other day and they still have them in stock in there stores.... So they must be a good seller... image_17564.jpg ,,,,The black one 250 lb pull... The yellow one 80 lb pull..

Attachments

• image_12878.jpg
    image_12878.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 3,585
Last edited:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I built bridges for 25 years, and always kept a magnet in my truck, paid for itself after the first crecent wrench recovery.

One day I was fishing for a hammer, and brought up a steel lock box about 2ft square and 4 inches thick or so. It was still locked, not very rusty, and i thought it was gonna be filled with valuables.

I broke it open and it was full of keys, with rows of hooks to hang them, and a soggy school lunch menu. They were School bus keys, some kids probably stole them and threw 'em off the bridge.:laughing7:

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got my hands on a 250lb rated magnet from Harbor Freight. Just trying to figure out what the best line/rope to use was? I have about 60 feet of rock climbing rope I thought might work well. Rated to hold over 250 pounds, anyone have better options though?

The 250 pull magnet from HF is the exact one I have with only 30' of rope. Even at that length it's a pain in the butt to untangle. The rope we use is a little stretchy and I dont like it. It was glow in the dark though and the kids get a kick out of seeing it in the dark waters. I put one of those closed hooks that look like a "D" for a handle so we didnt throw the whole thing in by accident. My kids and I have a blast in the river pulling junk out. the heaviest thing was a muffler and the largest was a bicycle tire. If you latch on to something too large, that pull is easy to dislodge.

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live right on a river here in NJ. Was thinking of tying a magnet to a rope to try some fishing. Anyone ever try this? And if so, what type of stuff did you find?

BTW...Jimmy Hoffa. There, I said it. Now nobody can post that :laughing7:

Thats a hell of an idea....im gonna try that around here for sure...got a lot of fishing docks and such...thank you

Dutch253

Greenie
Mar 31, 2013
Bamberg
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dahut, it looks to be SS items left either during their advance, or their final retreat in Jan 1945. I found this website after a quick google search

ttp://www.aberjonapress.com/maps/maps.html

It appears they did find some type of Nazi container from the video.. They must have researched the final battle that went on for 4 days.. Doesn't look like that area was developed at all, and there must be tons more right on land :dontknow:

I know the post is pretty old but I was so hoping this map would load! Been looking for a place in Germany to do some searching.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like fun. I've seen 150 lb. magnets at my local home improvement store. Think I'll pick one up this weekend.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I bought a 100 lb. pull magnet and went to a pond out by my house,I found lots of old steal beer cans,trash can lids, and 2 fishing poles and a metal tackel box,empty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread