anyone try to fuse sand with lightning? Not for EDDEKALB!!!!!!!!!

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
we have red sand in this area all over, desert flats. i was wondering what would happen if i got a 5 gallon bucket of white sand and put like a 10 or 20 foot rod or pole in it and wait till the next T storm comes. if lightning hits it will it fuse the sand in the bucket or will it go past the bucket deeper in the earth??? has anyone ever tried this at all? there is a market for the stuff.
i also remember a movie where someone started a buisness out of sand fused glass sculptures.

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Re: anyone try to fuse sand with lightning?

the stuff is called fulgurite, and i think the movie is sweet home alabama

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used

anotherthing, in the movie i think i remember his pieces were huge, the pieces i see are only inches long and are fetching top dollar

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hey PM this stuff to yourself next time.......

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000

How are you planning to get the lightning to hit your bucket?

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005

The lightning won't stay in the bucket, it has to go to ground.

ac385

Jul 26, 2005
Ga

The glass is not clear and is a grey black mass that is not pretty like in the movie.

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter

ive never tried it, nor am i a scientist but i would think in theory it would work. cause obliviously the lightning will have to go to ground but you would think that the heat generated while it passed through would be enough to make it. but instead of putting it in a bucket i would put the sand in the ground all around the rod and hope for the best. The largest one ever found was found in florida on a beach and it had 3 legs that came off of it, legs of 14', 16', and 8'. it was found on a beach where lightning had struck. Good luck.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

After I watched Sweet Home Alabama I wanted to do this also. I have a huge sand hill next to the river.
I dont think you need a rod that long if the sand doesnt have alot of other tall structures around it.......you could pound rods into the ground and because objects on the ground generally have a positive charge and since opposites attract, an upward streamer is sent out from the object about to be struck. When these two paths meet, a return stroke zaps back up to the sky. It is the return stroke that produces the visible flash, but it all happens in about one-millionth of a second ....that you think the flash is coming from the sky to the ground....but its not .

The inside of the sand glass is usually full of bubbles and you need to be careful when digging them out. Some are very fragile.

My mom has a lightening strike glass path next to her sand enbankment on the river. It varies from two to four inches wide and travels for about twenty feet....She had a birdfeeder on a metal pole which was struck.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

chong2mry said:
. . . put like a 10 or 20 foot rod or pole in it and wait till the next T storm comes.

. . . the stuff is called fulgurite, and i think the movie is sweet home alabama

Sounds more like the movie "Joe Dirt". :D

If you use a pole it will likely use the pole and not the sand.

I used to own a 34 ft sailboat and we were the tallest mast in our little marina. You think about lightning a lot in July and August on the Finger Lakes. I did learn that lightning recognizes 150 ft height increments in "deciding" on a target (and, as Gypsyheart noted, it is initiated by ground streamers from highly excited positive ions in the ground, building, tree, etc. that "reach" upwards towards the negative charge of the storm.) Dig yourself a patch to put highly mineralized sand in.

I saw on TV that if you launch a model rocket into a prime thunderhead you can occasionally convince the strike to follow the smoke trail. Best not to be holding the 20 ft launch control wires if it works. ;D

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dig a hole and fill it with the sand of choice.. Maybe silica sand for clear ? Also instead of burying the lightning rod in it, suspend the rod a 1/4 inch above the surface of the sand with a nonconducting material.. Just might work..

xd

Oct 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter

Why wait for lightning? Build a large Tesla coil. lightning storm whenever you want it. I think there are directions on how to do it on the net somewhere.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer people have died when attempting to make/use Tesla coils If you do this I am relieving myself of any and all injuries you may suffer.

xd

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX

sure would like to get some myself.i'd sure like to check it out when you do it.just dont get to shocked out there,maybe alittle burnt would be ok.lol

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

the big fulgurite test.JPG

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used

AWESOME comic strip jim,, too cool, especially when he turns into a sculpture himeself, lol.
i just took a chainlink fence down and now have a 20-25 ft pole, i will put this on a sand dune that is off a highway i travel all the time, and will check it in a few months, kinda sucks tho because it is red sand, the white sands is a "monument" .

P.S. HEY EDDEKALB , THIS POST WASNT INTENDED FOR YOU, IT WAS INTENDED FOR ALL THE OTHERS IN TN!!!!!!!!, SEE THE TOPIC??? ;)

Mikemonster

Jun 20, 2005
Tallahassee Florida
Lightning struck sand, like branches from a lightning struck cedar are tools used by the Medicine men and Shaman's of some Native American tribes.
It would not be "good Medicine" to try and make profit from these things.
Often called tears of the Great Spirit. If you clean them gently, place them in the sun for 11 days never letting the dark of night touch them you may create your own "good" medicine.
It would be cool if you'd make of gift of them to any tribal member.
Thanks
Mikemonster aka Cha Ta Wah

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
interesting, i need some good right now myself