Anyone up for a lost city?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What el raggedy tail feathered Crow didn't say is how he started with an equally raggedy xxxx crew of drillers. that He bummed around New Guinea. and the rest of the world. Some day he 'has' to tell you of how he performed a successful Hake dance.which earned all three a top place in my book. A damned hard act to follow. He has earned his feathers

All three have.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Don Ah people still talk about that one...Talk about silly I thought we probably looked it mixture of the three amigos and village people. But hey it worked... One of that crazy Kanakas ideas.

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No doubt this early Spanish Settlement must of had an early Spanish Church. It would be interesting see if any of site acually remains. Much can perhaps be learned from such a site like this?

But do ya know its not only lost European site in the Darien?

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
IPIU I should add this site has huge historical significance for Scotland. Because at the time the failure of the colony was in fact a major disaster for Scotland and had major impact in regards to future of Scotland at the time. In fact it bankrupted Scotland that they had no choice but to merge effectively with England in the act of the Union. Thus ending their independence.

The abandoned Settlement was last officially visited in 1979.

New_Caledonia_in_Darien.jpg

One thing on this map is of interest that they found gold in their excavations of the settlement new Edinburgh as well as finding traces of gold on the off shore island aptly named golden island.

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow, the Scots brought up the story of this settlement in their recent referendum. It was abandoned due to disease and the fact the settlement couldn't trade with the Spanish.

Interesting stuff.

IPUK

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
IPIU That and a few other things like poor planing, poor leadership and infighting and political interference.

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IPIU That and a few other things like poor planing, poor leadership and infighting and political interference.

Crow

Never mind this place Crow.

You ever come across the old native settlement with burial mounds that followed a river course into the mountains, and was illicitly robbed by Colombians of kilos and kilos of pure gold in the 1930s?

IPUK

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Panama or Columbia itself? There was a lot going on in the 1930's

And no just for your information Old Crow was not around then:laughing7:

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Panama Crow.

You might not have been around then, but I'm sure you knew someone who may have been....

IPUK

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay IPUK Ya have my Permission to do what me and Kanacki Do when we find some thing out something that Hardluck Does not know about and you punch your fist in air and say Got Him!:laughing7: its doesn't happen very often so enjoy the sweet sweet smell of victory.:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Ya got me stumped. The only one I can think of mentioned previously and there is an abandoned Spanish mine that was one of first gold mines in the Americas that was found via a native village...But Maybe old Crow is too tired???

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Crow
I've got my hands in the air!!

This was actually the place that got Pizarro fired up to find and rape a SA civilization when he saw a huge amount of gold here. When Balboa crossed the Isthmus of Darien, they looted and took a tremendous amount of gold. A river called the Sambu, wiggles out the mountains and some Colombians came across the information in the 1930s, and went and dug mountain graves for golf. These graves were noted as they used to contain golden skeletons but local native tribes took offence and killed a fair number but not before a huge amount was retrieved. I think the were known as Shakoi indians.

Ipuk

There was

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello IPIU I think the tribe name might of been Embera.

Some thing else I have some thing for you a map made Howard Jennings explorations in northern Ecuador.....

Jennings-Map-of-Coaque-Area.jpg

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Crow

Pretty sure it was the Shakoi.

Thanks for the map. That jennings chap was the fella that wrote that "Treasure Hunter " book with Robin Moore? He did over a fair few mounds in Ecuador and in the process started the research into the Jama-Coaque culture. Robin Moore had said before his death a few years ago that, he'd been approached many, many times by wannabe TH's and the places identified in the book had been done to death. Interesting read nonetheless.

Jennings' partner from his exploration - Anne jennings-Brown wrote her own book about their time together which is also pretty decent in helping one balance what Howard had claimed in his book.

Do you believe it accept that there was a "fourth" chest with that Mitchell-Hedges story?

IPUK

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello IPUK Like all books of this type ya have read through the sensationalism. Howard Jennings is a very complex character. He could be a Mr Jeckle and Mr Hyde type character. Howards wife Anne I believe would at least in her 80s if she is still alive today? I did not know she wrote a book? Howard was Allways searching for the next adventure. Robin more was mainly an author although he as far as I know was only involved in one treasure hunting trip in his life on an island off Honduras with Jennings. Jennings was hard drinking womanizer. Mitchell-Hedges was even worse The story of the forth chest who knows....

Howard did Many things he did ya could not get away with these days. However some of Howard's information turned out to be true...A friend of Hardlucks obtained information from Howard in the early 1970's. From that information Hardluck found a cave on an island Off coast of South America with skeleton in it. Howard claimed he found some treasure in that cave. a small cache of coins and jewelry.

Crow

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Crow
The plot thickens.....

Yes, the book Anne wrote is "Roatan Odyssey".

I think Robin Moore made a trip with Jennings to Costa Rica to help find a hidden hoard of gold objects that were dug during an archaeological expedition by a museum in New York. It looks possible as I did a bit of research with that one.
Old Jennings was a complex character and it does no good to try and judge him by 21st century pretexts. Even half a century ago when he was "at it", things were so, so different.

His niece still lives in Texas and has all his old papers. He died whilst trying to get to Turkey as he thought he was onto a 'biggie'. It was a plane crash over the former Yugoslavia in 1975.

When did your pal meet him?

Ipuk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread