Anyone use an SEF on their minelab?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own and use the 15"18" SEF Butterfly for my Sovereign GT on the beach and love it. I also bought the 12"x15" SEF Buterfly for my backup Excalibur, but I haven't gotten around to splciing it on yet.

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
I own and use the 15"18" SEF Butterfly for my Sovereign GT on the beach and love it. I also bought the 12"x15" SEF Buterfly for my backup Excalibur, but I haven't gotten around to splciing it on yet.

WOW treasure_hunter, that 15x18 is sure a big coil! I imagine you can really cover some real estate with that sucker!!!!!! With one so large, have you noticed any difficulty pinpointing or target seperation? How does it react with small targets? Tim

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no problem pinpoining with it, but I have been hunting with large coils for over 2 years now and I primarily hunt the beach. I would not use it on a trashy area, but at the beach it covers a lot area quickly, and it goes deep. On its first trip out it found one gold and one silver ring.

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JohnnieWalker said:
8x6 on my Safari when in trashy spots. Works pretty good, I use it a lot.

That is the one I was wanting for my sovereign but they do not make one in that size for it...I am going to wait and see in the future what they come up with. The smallest they make for the sov is the 10X12. I think it is a great price also but I am going to hold out and hopefully they will make a few more sizes in the future, Tim

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
I use the 15x12..and the same results and opinions as treasure hunter really. They're heavy though,so would recommend a good bungee harness.

teleman 2525

Bronze Member
May 9, 2010
newport vermont
Detector(s) used
whites xlt minelab explorer se pro
i use the 10 by 12 sef on se pro like it better then pro coil little heavier but not to bad just seems to get better overall response to me going back to pro tomorrow just to go over place recently done with 10 by 12 just to see what comes out of the ground any different

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
Treasure_Hunter said:
I own and use the 15"18" SEF Butterfly for my Sovereign GT on the beach and love it. I also bought the 12"x15" SEF Butterfly for my backup Excalibur, but I haven't gotten around to splicing it on yet.

I am considering getting a Minelab with a SEF for Christmas, my wife gave me the go-ahead. I hunt the beach, both in and out of the water. I realize the SEF may be too big to effectively use in the water?? :dontknow: I also got the impression that the 15 x 18 goes real deep but misses the smaller gold. My Whites Dual Field PI goes fairly deep, but not necessarily on gold. It sure likes bottle caps at 18". I would like a deep gold setup for the beach if that is possible. Has any of you minelab/SEF users experimented with the SEF to see what the the stock Sovereign GT or SE pro coil can see (gold size wise) that the SEF misses? Which Minelab gets the best beach depth on gold? Any input would be appreciated. Christmas Blessings to ya and happy hunting. Ralph

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the 15"18' SEF Butterfly with good sucess, having no trouble finding small gold rings. The coverage and depth is amazing. I use a harness with all my coils so weight is never an issue or problem. :icon_thumright:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the 10X12 sef on my Explorer, I usually hunt the trashy fairgrounds and ballfields. You can see the results in my signature. Better seperation and depth over stock, but heavier. My explorer is loaded up with the dx-1 probe and it's heavy. Sometimes I wish I was using a bungee, as the weight is tiring.

jgo

Greenie
Aug 29, 2010
15x12 SEF on a Minelab Etrac.

Except for the weight of it; I love it.

I can run higher sensitivity compared to the stock coil. One place I hunt has an old, cinder running track around the perimeter. I don't know what material is in that black, cinder running track, but with the stock coil I have to turn the sensitivity down to avoid chatter. When using the SEF near this track I can run auto +3 without any problems.

Weight: eventually I had to remove the coil and take a rest. I had developed a pain in my arm similar to tennis elbow. I didn't detect for about two weeks, and when I resumed it was with pro coil, and holding the detector in my left hand. This Spring I will put the SEF coil back on, but use one of those harnesses for support.

I liked the 15x12 so much that I decided to order the 8x6 for trashy areas. Still waiting for that as it is on backorder.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the 10X12 on the SE. I hunt relics, beaches, and parks and occasionally in the desert. I think most companies have with to that size, i believe the finds speak for why. On the SE you loose the small gold with a coil any bigger... well except for tiny surface pieces of trash. Its a good price on are coil that will surprise with separation and depth. Except for getting in the water and not having a TID screen i think the Sov is a strong machine. Why, because once you learn the Explorers you are going by sound for those deep targets and you are looking for a reason to DIG not to avoid digging. If you are doing mostly beach....id stay with the Sov.

Dew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread