Anyone use the Angus Mackirk Cistern water transfer system?

Usaflaginmaine

Aug 8, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Makro Gold Racer
Falcon MD20
Dahlke 2.5"
Bazooka Sniper
Angus Mackirk Outback
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Attachments

• Backpackers-Gravity-Powered-Water-Transfer-System-4_r1-550x525.png
    Backpackers-Gravity-Powered-Water-Transfer-System-4_r1-550x525.png
    103.5 KB · Views: 111

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
problem is if there is any drop there will be siphon....siphon will collapse the layflat. I don't know what they are thinking?

OP
OP
U

Usaflaginmaine

Aug 8, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Makro Gold Racer
Falcon MD20
Dahlke 2.5"
Bazooka Sniper
Angus Mackirk Outback
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
problem is if there is any drop there will be siphon....siphon will collapse the layflat. I don't know what they are thinking?

Wonder if you uses some black tubing like the recirculating sluices?

jere64ca

Jul 16, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA.
Detector(s) used
GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lay flat will work fine in this application, set up like this it is under pressure not suction. Done it many times using a bucket with a bulkhead fitting in it to channel creek water down the hose. Remember that your pressure is a result of the head, 1ft of head = .43 psi, so 10ft of head = 4.3 psi. that is not very much so get as much elevation drop as possible for better results.

OP
OP
U

Usaflaginmaine

Aug 8, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Makro Gold Racer
Falcon MD20
Dahlke 2.5"
Bazooka Sniper
Angus Mackirk Outback
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lay flat will work fine in this application, set up like this it is under pressure not suction. Done it many times using a bucket with a bulkhead fitting in it to channel creek water down the hose. Remember that your pressure is a result of the head, 1ft of head = .43 psi, so 10ft of head = 4.3 psi. that is not very much so get as much elevation drop as possible for better results.

Might you have a photo of the setup you spoke of? Seems it might be a cheaper option....

jere64ca

Jul 16, 2016
San Luis Obispo, CA.
Detector(s) used
GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, don't have any pics. It is a great way to mine but your site has to have all the required elements, sufficient water, sufficient elevation and close enough to run pipe/hose to your operation.

One set up I used was for running a highbanker on the beach. There was a seasonal creek that dropped off of a cliff onto a black sand covered beach, so I climbed up the steeply descending creek bed and placed a bucket under a mini waterfall to catch the water. In the bucket I have drilled a hole in the side at the bottom and put a fitting that the layflat hose screws onto. Run the layflat hose to your highbanker and you are done. The bucket collector was about 40 vertical feet above the highbanker so there was about 17.2 static psi, not much pressure but there was plenty of volume so it worked out fine.

Another set up was for a gravity dredge but not the way most people do gravity dredges. This one I started almost 200 vertical feet above the river I was mining, used the same bucket under a waterfall to catch the water, then piped it down to the river with poly pipe, transitioned it to layflat hose hooked up directly to the jet log of a conventional 4 inch dredge. Gravity generated more volume/pressure than most dredge pumps, 200 vertical feet = 86psi. Pain to set up but under the right conditions works quite well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions