Anyone Used This Sand Scoop?

aerograd

Jul 10, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Has anyone used this sand scoop? I'm going to the beach in August and wanted to give my Ace 250 a shot in the dry sand. I've seen the metal scoops with the drilled out holes, but was wondering if this model was any better, or worse, than those other types. Thanks!

Attachments

• scoop01.jpg
    scoop01.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,107
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being made of plastic with wire hardware screen, it will work for awhile. It looks like objects can get under the screen. Very good ones are made of metal and screen and have long handles so you don't need to bend down.

Good Luck.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
We always get a lot of scoop questions. ;D

I saw a pic of a similar scoop, and it was one of the first ones that I made/attempted to make. It worked well for a while, was relatively easy to construct. Although I ended up using nylon screws to hold the handle on, and drilled the PVC - that way, when I ran the detector over it, there was no signal when empty, but a signal when somehting was in it. (oh... little tip for getting a good hole pattern if you make your own... use a piece of "pegboard" and spray some black paint against the back side as you roll the pvc across it)

It worked reasonably well for a while, but like sandman said, you get tired of bending down all the time. Eventually I went to the long-handled scoops. If you're only going to do a little hunting in dry sand, it should work well. But, then you'll get the beach bug... want an excal... a sunspot scoop... good luck

steve

OP
OP
A

aerograd

Jul 10, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks for the input so far. As much as I may love to do beach hunting alot, I live about 6 hrs away from the nearest beach, so it will be a once or twice a year thing. Until I retire. Then I may move to the beach. But that is 20-30 years away. So I think whatever scoop I get would need replacing by then anyways. :)

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would skip the hand-held type and get a log handled aluminum scoop. You'll be hitting a lot of trash if want to find gold. Bending down to sift for a target will get real old, real fast. The aluminum scoops are lighter and digging dry sand doesn't require the strength of a water scoop (where you'd want SS)

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you are considering a cheap hand scoop, and dont mind bending over, why not buy one of the all plastic types?

Attachments

• sand scoop plastic.jpg
    sand scoop plastic.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 720
OP
OP
A

aerograd

Jul 10, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Ok well my beach trip starts on Saturday, so yesterday I finally went and sprung for the sand scoop below. I got it at the local White's dealer (Wiley's Outdoor Sports). I have an Ace250, so water hunting won't be my thing this time. Given that and the recommendations from boards members and others, I thought this mesh scoop was the best choice. It lets me take it apart to save space during storage as well as use it as a short handled scoop if I want. The extension rod can bring it out to 40". Hopefully, I will get an hour or two each morning before the kids get up to hunt. I'll post any good finds when I get back.

Attachments

• 701rtg.jpg
    701rtg.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 550

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Those mesh scoops work great for dry sand. I had one of a similar design, that had a pseudo-foot pad braised on the back. Added a little strength, but not much. Remember to bring a trowel, digger, or small shovel... sometimes even the dry sand gets hard several inches down.

good luck

steve

badbrains

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
surfmaster pi pro
mmmmm.....looks like half of your hand is actually in the scoop. Would hate to dig up a piece of glass.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get one with a handle and the mesh. Metal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread