70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
5 inch opening is way too small and it is not built sturdy enough for hard in the water. The wire basket will collapse in no time with even moderate to hard foot pressure . A scoop like that is best used in dry sand

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Hey bigcypresshunter,
I see in the ad they mention that it's a water scoop but there is not much of a lip on it for biting into the wet stuff which in some areas like where I am in NY has crushed shells and sometimes gravel underneath. Also it may be just me but the angle between the basket and the handle looks off, I think the angle should be less. I think if you locate a target and push the scoop into the wet sand and then go to lift it up, you will have to push the handle down into the water, constantly fighting against the buoyancy of the wood handle
At 8 1/2" deep it won't move much sand. I'm sitting here next to my printer looking at the 8 1/2" side of a piece of letter size paper and thinking it's too small. The wood handle will dry up and warp/ twist as well and give you a nice big splinter.
Here is a scoop thread from December which has a lot of pics/ posts of the different scoops guys use.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,125873.0.html
I use the DiamondHead scoop, here is the link for that. http://www.nuttallenterprises.com/servlet/StoreFront Good Luck!
Glenn

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Well put Glenn ,, The handle should be at 90* to be effective I think that scoop after a while would wear on your back Guzz1

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using a Monster scoop but, believe it or not, the scoop snapped off. It was killing my shoulder anyway. I picked this up in the fall. It's not as heavy as it looks and, I think, it's better ergonomically designed. It's also easier to control when you're in the waves (although I don't do that too often). If I remember right, it's around 10" deep and 8" wide.
ATHSHARKSCOOP.jpg

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I tried to work the waves yesterday but without success. My scoop is way too small. A wave knocked me off balance a bit and my scoop took a chunk out of my toe. It was windy and a frustrating day in the surf. I need to upgrade.

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
I tried to work the waves yesterday but without success. My scoop is way too small. A wave knocked me off balance a bit and my scoop took a chunk out of my toe. It was windy and a frustrating day in the surf. I need to upgrade.

Not necessarily the answer to your problems in the surf, but a "P" handle scoop with that double bar coming off the scoop, makes it easier to control in the waves. I brace it across my left leg. It keeps the scoop stable so you can go for the target in between wave action. In the waves, timing is everything. That's basically why I mostly hunt the "lane". I don't like getting pounded by the waves and, I don't swim well :)

HH!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:

You working the surf barefoot? I stopped doing that. The back of my scoop was bad for my foot, and the broken beer bottles I dug up because the top was still on them told me it wasn't safe.

In the surf you want the widest scoop you can get, as Joe said, timing is important, you have to dig in between the swells or waves if there isn't a sand bar between you and the ocean to break the waves.

T

TreasurdiggrNY

bigcypresshunter said:

Sorry to hear about your accident, a bigger heavier scoop will definitely be an improvement. It won't flop around as much being heavier, and taking a bigger bite will move you along quicker. It will still take a while to get used to hunting in the surf, once your gills and the eyes on the back of your head grow in you'll be fine. :laughing7:
Good Luck!

Glenn

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
My galv scoop is too small. I cannot easily pinpoint the target and with my furious frustrated digging I wasnt watching the waves. ::) Shoes is a good idea next time. The South Florida water was so warm, I hated to wear shoes. I will also try for a calmer day.

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigcypresshunter - I haven't used this scoop but $119.00 is a bit too much to pay for just the basket. The handle is only wood. I have one for sale for $125.00 and the entire unit is stainless steel, handle, basket and reinforcement rod. If you're interested you can see it at http://beachgold.net/forsale

Happy Hunting!!!

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I like the wooden handle idea. It can be cut to any size, it will float and stand upright, and curtain rod wood can be purchased anywhere for practically nothing. The cost of a wooden rod is very small. I could change to metal rod, but why would I want to? Sandman uses a wooden rod and cannot remember breaking one.

But the 5inch scoop is too small. I will look at yours, Mat. thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread