Anyone using the 15" coiltechs on the xterra 705?

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone using the 15" coiltech's on the xterra 705?

I currently have the stock 18.75 gold factory coil and have yet to find any silver. I've found a dime but it was dropped in a new tot lot complete with rubber cut up tires. I'm guessing show and tell. And a few bits of jewelry. I've done well, by my standards on gold rings in the dirt. Prolly because I dig a lot. I like the idea of swinging 15"'s but want a coil that will go deeper. I've red Randy's reviews and there's newer coil techs that aren't listed. Ideally I'd like a larger sweep, more depth and hoping to keep finding gold. I was leaning towards the stock 7.5 but found these coil techs.

I have no mentor and haven't joined a club so if my questions are elementary I'm sorry. I'm trying to learn.

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a great coil for gold. I have found gold as deep as 37 inches with this coil. I will email you a few tricks later. The 3 khz and 7.5 khz I also have. Two things about the 705 are if you use it in AM mode it goes/detects deeper. And if you turn the sound down to 1 and use a Koss (UGA) Unity Gain Amplifier with your headphones. his will allow all battery power for coil and headphones will use Gain amplifier for power. Check it out here: Metal Detector Headphones For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not in function just that 18.75 is best for gold, 7.5 is "all around" and 3kh is good on coins. I have no idea why. I also should have been more specific. I don't prospect. I'm in parks and such going after jewelry.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a great coil for gold. I have found gold as deep as 37 inches with this coil. I will email you a few tricks later. The 3 khz and 7.5 khz I also have. Two things about the 705 are if you use it in AM mode it goes/detects deeper. And if you turn the sound down to 1 and use a Koss (UGA) Unity Gain Amplifier with your headphones. his will allow all battery power for coil and headphones will use Gain amplifier for power. Check it out here: Metal Detector Headphones For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

Very interesting information. I'm thinking of trying the 15" 18.75 for dry sanding with this setup.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Backstrap80. The higher the KHz the deeper the penetration but operates best in dry soils. Your set up is fine for parks and such. 7.5 khz for all around use is a great idea. I use the standard discrimination setting preprogrammed into this devie already and really enjoy it. Then i go back and rescan in AM mode for those deep targets. Yes, I get a lot of trash but it is worth it when you find the treasures:) Good exercise also.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch - yes, the 705 work better(deeper) in dry sands/soils. Where are you located in GA? I lived in Savannah, GA for a while.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch - yes, the 705 work better(deeper) in dry sands/soils. Where are you located in GA? I lived in Savannah, GA for a while.
Pm sent

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently have the stock 18.75 gold factory coil and have yet to find any silver. I've found a dime but it was dropped in a new tot lot complete with rubber cut up tires. I'm guessing show and tell. And a few bits of jewelry. I've done well, by my standards on gold rings in the dirt. Prolly because I dig a lot. I like the idea of swinging 15"'s but want a coil that will go deeper. I've red Randy's reviews and there's newer coil techs that aren't listed. Ideally I'd like a larger sweep, more depth and hoping to keep finding gold. I was leaning towards the stock 7.5 but found these coil techs. I have no mentor and haven't joined a club so if my questions are elementary I'm sorry. I'm trying to learn.

Blackstrap, if your soil is not moderate-highly mineralized I would pickup a used 9" concentric 7.5 kHz. It pretty much stays on my 705 and it is awesome for coin shooting and less susceptible to iron falsing.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips guys. I picked up a round 10"7.5KH DD and a 9"3KH. I still need a waterproof stock coil and a 6" digger for trashy spots. But first I'm gonna try and get a deal on a 15" 18.75kh coiltek. I'm buying that inline amp for sure. Thanks!

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I see tons of views so people are reading so I figured I'd give a follow up. The 15" 18.75 is pure power. You'll notice this as soon as you ground balance. The best way I can describe this for future buyers or people wanting one is imagine a large flood light, like the one they used to call Batman, silly but it's an analogy... It shoots far=goes deeeep, however everything under this coil is being processed through the detector, meaning it's not gonna be best near a BBQ grill at the park but I do use it with great results at parks.

You'll have to play with the settings a little. I used it on a dry beach waiting for the tide to go down so I could use my Excal II and I was tempted to leave the Excal. It goes deep and the signals were plenty. Would I buy it again absolutely I'm in a very populated city and do a lot of "skimming" after events.
I also picked up a 9" 3kh and would prefer the 6" for coins but hey, it goes deep also. Also picked up a 6" 18.75 coil and it's for the BBQ area. This and the 15" seem to pick up gold chains at shallow depths pretty well. I have the gold pack and the stock 6x10 coil is still my go to girl. I use it and a 10" DD 7.5kh the most. Not much of a difference but I have found more gold (jewelry) with the 18.75kh and more silver with the 7.5DD. I don't have a stock 7.5kh coil yet so I'll add info when I get one. I hunt 30 plus hrs a week....

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good report - thanks for passing on your experiences with it. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions