Anyone with knowledge of safes?

B

Back2theFuture_13

Hey CZ7922 . Your safe looks pretty old but if it was a nice one than I do not recommend torching the hinges because most safes have 2 to 10 pins inside the door to hold the door on , in the older safes there would only be 2 pins on one side of the door , If the safe is a nicer one than it most likely had more than 2 pins , if it had more than 2 pins than that means that even if You cut the hinges of than the pins will hold the door in place.

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
I am amazed that we all want to screw up a fifty year old relic!
Find the RIGHT company contact or locksmith and open it up.
Surley the model and physical description can narrow done the code choices.
If it's empty you have a classic safe in your house.

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
But.. If I did just have to get it the hard way, I'd drill the top or bottom plate, which ever is less visible when installed.
One 1/4" hole would let you know how tuff it is. (not very, I bet, since it a wall safe it is Mostly door, I suppose)
You could even peek inside with one of those electrician/ mechanics boroscopes to be cool.
Three more holes to form a square and a good blade on a sawzall might do it after that. A piece of felt might look nice inside anyway.

S

stoneman

Why not take that safe to an industrial machine shop & use band saw to saw top off? you could always weld it back, grind weld smooth, use a little body filler, finish off prime & paint complete. ;D

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
Ya AAA!! I used to work for a metal company,we made airport chairs a car couldn't drag and we made Harley side cart frames...The chop saw was fun and and grinding with the Milwaukee grinders was even more funner! I always had my hair on fire.from the spot welding sparks comming back at me! Oh!............... I love metal all kinds! I did everything except weld! That would have been fun too.I took a class for welding.

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Nooooooooooo!! dont pop it w. drill or hardware I can tumble it no prob
You just gotta listen to the fingers[ tumblers]

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Before you open it, drill it, or whatever-start a contest to guess what's inside. The winner splits it w/you. Of course half of nothing is still nothing. ;D

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,Tesoro Lobo ST, Gold Bug ,Minelab probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E-mai me I have a book that tells you how to open any safe, it is not simple. Stuff like this book are bonded to locksmiths but I don't see a problem , just look at the filth they sell!!

M

mtl-huntr

OK I feel I have to respond to this, if nothing else just so I can keep track of this thread...OK... blow it up ...drill it... throw it off the roof..... just get it open already!!!!!!.....this kinda stuff really bothers us treasure hunters....this is the third or fourth story like this with no resolve.....GET IT OPEN!!!!.... OK with that said .........good luck on your find...... ;D

OP
OP
C

CZ7922

Jun 11, 2004
Sorry, no updates because I haven't had any luck. Since I don't have any of the tools necessary I have not attempted any of the more extreme measures suggested by some of you (also, I still prefer to keep the safe intact). I am 99% sure it's empty anyway, which is another reason it's been on my back burner.

I plan to shoot an e-mail to desertdigger after posting this. Hopefully you all won't be in suspense too much longer. I do appreciate all of you taking the time to help me out.

kaene

Greenie
Apr 22, 2005
Hi I know a little something I pick locks as one of my hobbies.

http://money.howstuffworks.com/safecracking3.htm

Heres some info to save you some trouble. If you drill it youll probably end up breaking it and it will have to be cut. Drilling requires templates for accuracy. You need to find a locksmith and/or safe vault technician in your area not just a locksmith. There are a few methods of opening it without breaking it. Anyways that link has some safe "cracking" techniques in it. If you're hell bent on doing it yourself then go to school for it because you cant get any tools for it unless you know a crooked technician and even then I doubt it. Even the drill bits are hard to come by. Theres a book you can buy though its the ONLY book you should buy on the subject its called locks, safes, and security. Its used by law enforcement and government agencies but chances are youll never get your hands on one of their copies. Civilian/hobbiests get the watered down version.

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Thats not a high dollar safe I bet it only uses 3 numbers. Buy a stethascope! Then spin the dial to the right 4 times or so.
Then slowly turn left till you hear a tumbler fall, then go all way around to the right till you pass that number. Keep going till you hear another click! Then go back left till you hear one more, then try handle. I f this doesn't work start with spinning to the left etc.This will take some practise and it will be fun! I went to the library when I was 12 and learned to pick locks out of a book cause my older brother locked me out of treehouse, Ive been doing it every since.

C

cbbrink

If you live in PA, I would take a crack at it. I have cracked a few safes. I use a stethoscope and can fell the tumblers fall in my fingers.

CHuck

G

geno

Why not send it or take it to the safe company that you've contacted?.. Just a thought.
geno

drustino

Mar 11, 2005
coinshooter said:
Dude,
Just do it!!!
After your done, take a class at Home Depot on how to do drywall. It's really easy.
Just plug up the hole with a piece of drywall, tape it, sand it, and paint it.
No big deal.
I would suggest you get a really big chain and tie it behind your car, Then take the safe and weld the chain to the door. Then put the safe behind something that will hold it in place and punch it!!!
Thus ripping the door off the safe and spilling out those millions of dollars stored in that teeny tiny wall safe. 8)

Heck with the hole stick a tv in their, get it open soon.

O

ozzysdad

I have read where theive's take a hammer and chisel and peel them from the bottom or the back, once you peel the steel, there will be a layer of firebrick, bust that out with the hammer and then there should be one layer of steel, Either chisel it out or drill a hole and use a sawsall with a metal cutting blade, Remember, Stack's of bill's don't rattle, especially if they are packed and they don't weigh enough to tell for sure or not if they are there or not.....? Take your time and peel it, you can alway's have a plate welded on to it for repair, and if it's full of cash, buy a new safe...lol..... Remember if you peel it from the back and clean it out, you can still put it back in the hole in the wall and no one will be able to tell you were in it..... Just a thot.....

G

goldpanco

if you want to open it and don't care about the safe drill a hole in the top fill it with water and use 1 stick of dynamite
it will open the safe like a ripe bananna

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,Tesoro Lobo ST, Gold Bug ,Minelab probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CZ7922 said:
Sorry, no updates because I haven't had any luck.? Since I don't have any of the tools necessary I have not attempted any of the more extreme measures suggested by some of you (also, I still prefer to keep the safe intact).? I am 99% sure it's empty anyway, which is another reason it's been on my back burner.

I plan to shoot an e-mail to desertdigger after posting this.? Hopefully you all won't be in suspense too much longer. I do appreciate all of you taking the time to help me out.
I still have the book and its still $40 and it is the one that safe technicians and lawenforcement use and I can not put it on ebay or it would be long sold. I used it last week to open a 3'X3' floor safe set in concrete in an old service station site, Charged him $20 and a signed agreement for half of the contents, anybody what to buy my half of a 1930 Third Grade Reader and some very old coin wrapper tubes? :'(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread