Anyone with paleo experience and are these paleo

blazerdog

Jan 20, 2018
northern california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if these are paleo, I think I know what happened. 20180423_162752.jpg 20180423_162836.jpg

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Same site? And what county?

The most complete point there, the serrated point near the top in both pictures, looks more like a Stockton type to me, which is pretty late. If you are in Sacramento/San Francisco area then I'd be more comfortable with it being a Stockton. If you are Northern California or in land into the mountains or into the Great Basin then it might be a particularly toothy Humbolt related thing.

A couple of the things do look older from what I can see, but it's just a bit of a guess. In the same row as the serrated point, the base next to it and the one to the far right kinda sorta look older.

If you are up in the hills and near an obsidian quarry, you could have thousands of years of debitage in a small area.

OP
OP
B

blazerdog

Jan 20, 2018
northern california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Yes, same site. Lake county ca. Every piece of obsidian ( about 400+ not counting shards) was found within a small area . Probably equal to two pickup truck loads of dirt. At a depth of 18 to 21 feet below ground. there are ancient creek beds in the area but where these were found is not one of them. Will post more pictures with close ups soon. hopefully this evening along with pictures of the site. Am curious , if you would know why almost every time I find a piece or two together, there is always a number of mostly small triangular rocks of slightly different size, about five to 15 or so every time. this has happened a couple of hundred times. Are they used for chipping? the picture of the clear stones , I will post tonight were found together with a couple small colored stones and e few points in an area of about 40 cubic inches. they call them , lake county diamonds. thanks for your interest

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell from the photos but most likely you have some artifacts from the Coastal Contracting Stem Cluster.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread