anything interesting or unusual ?

jaystuw

Greenie
Nov 2, 2009
in the old days there were hobo nickels, love tokens and any number of other coins that were engraved, punched ,scratched or graffittied for any or no reason. you guys must look at, as a group, tens of millions of circulating coins a year. Do any of you ever see any modern coins like that? has culture and habits changed enough over the years that the personalized coin is a thing of the past or are they alive and well (and hidden) among the zillions of coins in circulation out there? John

Upvote 0

Bigj5731

Aug 26, 2009
Michigan
I have found a Kennedy half. With a small Kennedy head that was stamped into the coin. To the right of the head. If I can find it ill post a picture.

-bigJ

OP
OP
J

jaystuw

Greenie
Nov 2, 2009
i have seen that on pennies but never on a half or anything else. so that would definitely qualify as interesting and unusual ! john

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thread here ! I too was wondering if anybody has ever scored a "hobo " nickel CRH-ing
or dug one up MD-ing for that matter ? Argentium.

OP
OP
J

jaystuw

Greenie
Nov 2, 2009
Argentium- It would seem that the only way to get a hobo nickle is to bid on it on E-bay! I have never, ever heard of one being dug, coin rolled or found in change.In my own experience of checking the coins in my pocket going all the back to when dimes, quarters and half dollars were silver and dateless buffalo nickles and standing liberty quarters were common in change, I have never seen a coin personalized in anyway. other than mindless scratches and the commercially produced kennedy and states stamped on pennies (and even on a half dollar!) there really seems to be no such thing as modern people altering coins for there own amusement. John

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, there are plenty of defaced coins in some way circulating, be it gold-plated Kennedies, "colorized" coins, or even those hideous Obama half-dollars some of us have seen. But I think that most people don't circulate those things anymore, even the average person would notice a Buffalo nickle in pocket change and keep it for himself especially since inflation has made it so low-denomination coins don't mean much of anything.

But I think the biggest place that you will see that, is flat pennies. Of course the problem is that once a penny has been flattened, it no longer is used as a coin and stops circulating.

ffej

Jul 2, 2010
I keep finding these. They are stamped both front and back with different masonic emblems. I get them in customer rolls at the same bank. Sending them off to feebay soon , hence the naming of the picture file.

Attachments

• ebay0710 103 (768 x 512).jpg
    ebay0710 103 (768 x 512).jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 392

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I found a copper-nickel IHC (1859-1864) that was modified. The obverse had the date etched off of it and the head had been altered. On the reverse it was modified to read 'ONE C-U-N-T'

This was found CRHing two years ago.

MauserMan

Jun 7, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
BH Tiv
Thanks for bringing this up, it is an interesting topic. Reminded me of a coin I got from my grandpa a while back but I didn't know what it was -still don't. The back looks like it's from an Indian Head, but the front has definitely been modified... I don't even know how someone could have completely smoothed away the obverse though.

Does anybody know what this is?

Attachments

• IH.JPG
    IH.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 374
  • IH2.JPG
    IH2.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 375
OP
OP
J

jaystuw

Greenie
Nov 2, 2009
excellent pictures!, the masonic pennies is modern and maybe an on going effort- neat! DrDetector, i havn't seen a ihc that reads like that, but a lot of large cents that have that exact word. also flying eagle cents modified to "flying penis" cents and those liberty seated coins modified to sitting on a chamber pot! all are from the same time frame 1850s to 60s . odd that they would all happen in the same short period. Mauserman, I wonder what the guy had going on here, its not really a love token but more than a doodle. I'd love to ask the maker what the deal is on this one but the 125 years between him and I is a wall that can not be breached. Also mauserman, I like your screen name, although I have drifted off to m88 commission rifles, I still have more than a few mausers. mostly pre-war south american contracts, several early german gews and kars and even a few m1891 spanish carbines! John

drplaztics

Mar 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Tesoro Cutlass II uMax
For MauserMan's coin I would say that men's 'clubs' and 'lodges' were very popular back in the 1800's. So maybe it was a club or lodge token for some men's group??? I also wonder if some fireman sitting in a firehouse waiting for a fire could have made that (they kind of look like ladders to me). It is a very interesting symbol.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
With all the new designs on coins i would argue that its getting easier [harder when figuring that there are fewer] to get special coins in pocket change. Plenty of old, stupid and naive people wouldnt know the difference between a new or old buffalo.

OP
OP
J

jaystuw

Greenie
Nov 2, 2009
my thoughts on mausermans coin is that the maker is evolving, Its not the first or last coin that he carved. he's learned that by honeing off one side he's got a clean "canvas" to carve on with the added bonus that the press hardened outer surface is gone , leaving a softer surface that can be carved deeper and with more control ( more slips of the graver with a hard surface). no artistic ability, but that can be made up for to a degree with better lay-out and craftmanship. Both would come with practice.
As far as the average persons knowledge of coins. they probably could not tell a buffalo nickle from a five dollar gold piece. thats why coin roll hunting is worthwhile. most of the public is clueless as to whats in there pocket! John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions