Anything of value? Jewelry.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked these up today because I thought they were silver, but now I'm pretty sure they're not. Do you think they have any value?

image-3981541320.jpg

image-1138591989.jpg

image-910738502.jpg

image-1064872908.jpg

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Top one looks like it has a moon stone in it. May be a selling point.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ebony and abalone inlaid ones are probably alpaca. I guess they aren't marked? They look like alot of Mexican made stuff.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$10 to $15, retail I would think. Both are vintage pieces before the 1970's is my guess.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree that the earrings look like Mexico stuff. The black may be onyx or enamel to. The only way to know for sure if they are sterling is to test them. Look close at the top and bottom of the screw pieces for markings and also with patina like that it can be real difficult to see stamps. The top pic may be a vintage scarf clip with a blue glass? cabochon-- doesnt appear to be a true moonstone (I am by no means an expert tho'!!). May have better odds selling them in a small lot of jewelry.

Grundestoun

Dec 16, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
coinmaster 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like there could be marks on the earrings, just can't tell from all the tarnish

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree that the earrings look like Mexico stuff. The black may be onyx or enamel to. The only way to know for sure if they are sterling is to test them. Look close at the top and bottom of the screw pieces for markings and also with patina like that it can be real difficult to see stamps. The top pic may be a vintage scarf clip with a blue glass? cabochon-- doesnt appear to be a true moonstone (I am by no means an expert tho'!!). May have better odds selling them in a small lot of jewelry.
On 2nd glance I too believe that clip item is a possible scarf clip. It also looks like the kind that would come as a 2 piece clip. If that's be the case it would be missing the other half, that's not good. The earrings could be silver as I've found Mexican silver that is not at all marked with ster., .925 just the work Mexico would be on it. Also I've found Mexican pieces like cufflinks and earring where they soldered something like a pin, screw-backs or ear-clip over the mark leaving on a part of it to be seen. Testing the earrings is your best way to know if their silver or not.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I just sold some stuff to the vintage store, including a clip like the second one. It's a dress clip. I got good money for the stuff. You may want to look into seeing if there is a vintage store where you can sell them directly rather than dealing with Ebay.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sold some stuff to the vintage store, including a clip like the second one. It's a dress clip. I got good money for the stuff. You may want to look into seeing if there is a vintage store where you can sell them directly rather than dealing with Ebay.

Thats a good tip, but make sure that it is definitely not worth much on ebay before you sell it anywhere else. There's a vintage store near me that I sell to, I've discovered that it is great for things that look cool, but don't have a brand name or a specific part that would come up in an ebay search. Basically something that someone would buy because they like how it looks, not because of what brand it is or what it's made of.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats a good tip, but make sure that it is definitely not worth much on ebay before you sell it anywhere else. There's a vintage store near me that I sell to, I've discovered that it is great for things that look cool, but don't have a brand name or a specific part that would come up in an ebay search. Basically something that someone would buy because they like how it looks, not because of what brand it is or what it's made of.

Totally true! It's sooo hard to get people to FIND your item without a brand name. You can have this gorgeous vintage whatever, but if no one can find it, it will just sit there. I didn't get rid of anything with a name. Plus, the ladies were very nice. They actually gave me help & hints on how to sell what they didn't take. If you take your stuff into a vintage store, looking to sell, and decide to sell on Ebay, at least you can find out more about the stuff than you knew when you walked in the door.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally true! It's sooo hard to get people to FIND your item without a brand name. You can have this gorgeous vintage whatever, but if no one can find it, it will just sit there. I didn't get rid of anything with a name. Plus, the ladies were very nice. They actually gave me help & hints on how to sell what they didn't take. If you take your stuff into a vintage store, looking to sell, and decide to sell on Ebay, at least you can find out more about the stuff than you knew when you walked in the door.

My favorite is going to a consignment store and spotting something that they bought from someone but completely underpriced, and then re selling it. I just sold a vintage Nike hoodie for $70 that I got at a consignment store for $20, I guess they didn't know the huge collector market for vintage nike stuff. Knowledge is power!

(Sorry OP for the off topic posts)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions