Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As with everyone else here, I like the free money scrapping can bring. My girlfriend is a leasing person for an apartment complex, and the maintenance leader asked her a few days ago if she knew of anyone who could haul off a bunch of appliances. She told him I do that type of stuff. So I hooked up my 16ft flatbed, and in half a day got 8 refrigerators, 9 ovens, one dryer, one central A/C unit, and a bunch of fans from A/C units. I could not fit it all, so to take a break after I loaded the trailer full I went to the scrap yard and unloaded all of the ovens I had to make room. I then went back and got some more refrigerators and the rest of the ovens. I cannot take the refrigerators in until I remove the compressors, but it will give me something to kill time and keep my butt from polishing the couch watching TV. Bottom line is, if you get a chance, talk to the manager at apartment complexes, you might get a source for scrapping. You want it and they want to get rid of it, a win-win situation.

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wayne1956 said:
got 8 refrigerators, 9 ovens, one dryer, one central A/C unit, I cannot take the refrigerators in until I remove the compressors, but it will give me something to kill time and keep my butt from polishing the couch watching TV.
just remember that you have to reclaim the freon from any of the refrigerators and ac units
http://www.autofrost.com/epa-facts.txt
shows that the fine for not recovering freon is now $25,000 per violation
so that means 8+1=9 times $25000.00=$225,000

OP
OP
E

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The apartment complex maintenance folks had the freon reclaimed before contacting me, so I did not have to worry about that. I asked them about it prior to picking up the units as I told them I had no way of reclaiming the freon myself.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a place out by me where I take the dog for a long weekend walk and I allways find stoves,washers and driers,and back when I had a truck and a strong back I use to take 'em to the scrapyard and get around $20-$100 depending on how many I took in.I also found out from a fellow scrapper that it would be wise to strip them to find any copper.Also use to sell them for $10 to a friend who would take them out to his land and use them for target practice. :laughing7:

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
If you want to maximize $$. (Not necessarily $ for time spent) Remove all motors from appliances. Cut off electrical cords. Remove copper water lines, brass fixtures, and cooling coils. All of these will fetch more money than the raw weight of light iron in the scrap pile. Stainless too on newer units. It takes a lot of time and effort, but free money is free money. Also see if the property manager will cover gas $ or a dumping fee.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Yeah what fathead said. I didn't think about the aluminum behind the freezer wall until I was trying to get a copper tube out and decided to go through the freezer to get more of it and found the aluminum cooling part now I tear that puppy apart for the aluminum. Also all the insulated copper wire it goes for $1.00 a pound here in Colorado now. Wish I found an apartment complex with that many appliances laying around. I have a friend who used to be in heating and air and he has a evacuation machine to take the freon out for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread