Appeared like a pearl in an oyster

sparkydog

Sep 28, 2008
Boulder Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites: Surf, Eagle II SL, GMT.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Over lunch in a bar I got to know a fellow who worked for a friend. Somehow the conversation wound around to the fact that I had a metal detector and he launched into his story about how he and his wife were coming home late one night and having a heated argument. Bad went to worse and she took off her wedding ring and threw it at him! It bounced off the windshield of his pickup and he stuck out his hand and caught it on the rebound...he then promptly fired it back and out the passanger's side window into the dark of a warm summer's night.
Several years had passed since that night and they had both walked that stretch of country road often hoping to somehow spot that ring in the roadside ditch along the farmfield.
To make a long story longer I told him if he knew about where the ring was launched, I might be able to find it. He knew within the span between 3 telophone poles of where it could be so off we went to my house for my detector and a spade.
Starting at the first pole I began sweeping the sides and bottom of the ditch with my audio only whites surf. About 15 feet down the road I let a swing begin over the road edge and got a solid double-beep tone. I had dug enough pull tabs to recognize a circular target and the tone was far too solid to ignore. Despite the fact that this signal was more than a foot into the oiled-and chipped road surface I took the spade and stood on it till I got it about 5 or 6. inches into the road. Seeing the activity, my newfound friend came running over just as I pulled down on the spade handle.
When the edge of the pavement split and heaved up, there was his wife's beautifully carved, ornate gold wedding ring shining in the sunlight just like a pearl in an oyster! It was as clean and bright as it was on that fateful night when the couple thoughtllesly threw it around and out of the truck.
It goes without saying that his wife was overjoyed to have the antique heirloom ring again and as a bonus I made a friend who is still close to this day.

Last edited:

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story!

Top Member Reactions