Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Applying Bee's Wax--What's the Secret??

I have heard of some applying a thin coat of bee's wax to a cleaned coin or relic to help it retain moisture and also bring out some detail. I just bought some refined bee's wax is 1 lb chunks and it seems to be too thick to apply. I tried applying it to a button I just cleaned and it caked up very badly. So what's the secret here? I had to try and remove most of it with boiling hydrogen peroxide. I'm hoping that someone that applied a thin coat of wax or bee's wax will help guide me here. Thanks!

beepbeepin

Aug 24, 2012
Schenevus, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
just clean the coins with soap and water and then apply a coat of olive oil. And that's it don't do anymore. Bees wax? Um ....

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reheat coin and blot with a asorbent cloth, maybe a light buffing.

gabberbob

Oct 15, 2012
Ryazan City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is necessary to heat up, smear coins with a few wax and to polish with a rag.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Melt the wax. You don't want any metal to "retain moisture", that is a wives tale. Clean the object as much as possible, or as much as you feel comfortable. Then melt some (or all depending on artifact size) of the wax and heat the it up to around 250 degrees with the artifact in it. If there is moisture present it will boil out. Just wait for it to stop bubbling, take out the item (carefully, with some type of gripper) and let it cool slightly. Before the wax can fully harden, wipe it down good with a soft cloth. The metal is now preserved with the wax coating.

Paraffin wax works well for this, never tried it with bees wax.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
potpourri warmer from dollar store or yard sale .. Place coin on it, add a bit of wax to it and then let it melt...

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does seem to help the adhering process if the object being coated has some heat in it...indirect heat preferably ...I just bought an old sauce pan an use it....I have even used a blowtorch on a couple items..from a distance of course....the item will have to be buffed..there will be some buildup..I generally use a soft cloth to start ...then a damp soft cloth to really put a sheen on the item...Trial and error but it does make some items more appealing with better detail...

abbynormal

Sep 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just out of curiousity, does any one have any before and after pics of something you put through this process?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread