appraisal and/or repair or not?

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up this painting last weekend at a yard sale. The artists name is Wilfrid Daleus. I've found some of his paintings online priced from $3000 to $40000. I paid two bucks for it and it has a small about 1/2 inch tear in the canvas. Its size is about 20 X36. I'm trying to decide whether to spend $100 for an appraisal and whatever repairs might cost. What do all the Treasure netters think? The tear is on the left side just above the hibiscus.

Attachments

• Daleus painting.JPG
    Daleus painting.JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 106

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might be able to get a verbal appraisal from an auction house and can base your decision what to do from there. It doesn't look like major damage and the auction houses could recommend a restorer.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have a restorer in your area, why not just get a guessimate on how much it would cost to restore. I had a watch that they wanted $300 to clean. I figured at best I would get another $100 doing that. Wasn't worth it.

Looks nice.

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty painting.

That being said, don't invest in the restoration or appraisal.

Here's the problem: the artist is still alive and actively marketing his own art. A little Googling led me to his self-run gallery/museum - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Daleus-Art-Gallery/137999043018291?sk=info He also has two public Facebook profiles, and seems to be active in the South Florida art scene. Anyone inclined to buy his art can easily contact him and buy direct, and likely commission a custom piece. The prices you see online seem to be generated by himself and his gallery, which is all part of the business - start high and see what it sells for. I don't doubt he has the odd patron who will actually pay full price, but on the resale market, I see it being worth several hundred rather than several thousand. It is actually nice to look at, which I would say contributes more to its value than the name of the artist.

The $15-30k prices on his gallery page are pie in the sky. There are Basquiats and Warhols that won't sell for that.

I would frame it and hang it until the artist has passed, then see where his prices are a few years down the road...

heybubbajay

Feb 28, 2012
SC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it to the antiques roadshow and maybe someone will make you an offer in the parking lot!

OP
OP
SnakemanBill

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input. I'll forgo the appraisal /repair route, put it back in its frame and hang it hoping he kicks before I do!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions