April Fools on Me

seattleMD

Dec 31, 2007
This morning I headed to a couple new banks in my area and asked for halves. Both had around $250 in halves and both sets of rolls were old looking and marked up as though someone had used them to store a collection. I was so excited when they brought them out my heart was pounding. One roll even said "Franklins"....

... well I got home and popped em open to find ZERO silver halves, though it definitely was someone's collection. Lots of AU bicentennials and oddly enough, a great deal of AU 1971Ds.

Don't suppose anyone needs an AU 1971D?

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

Upvote 0
Interesting! I found rolls and rolls of those Au 71's and 72's a few months ago down south here. I wonder if they were from the same collection originally.

I am finding that anytime a bank has that much in hand rolls, they were probably dropped off buy a CRHer or collector and will be silver free. I try to ask the tellers if one person brought all of them in or were they acquired over time. The tellers so far have been honest with me. If they say one person brought them in, they will usually follow up by saying, "this one customer brings in loads of them like this all the time".

I would rather try my luck with a box of machine rolls that may have some keepers, than go through someone else's rejects for sure.

Jim

With the number of folks getting involved in this hobby finding someones dump is bound to happen sooner or later. At least your out there hustling and it will eventually pay off with a big hit if you keep at it.

Not long ago I called a main bank branch inquiring about halves & this is a bank I have already hit about 2-3 times since I started CRH'ing. The vault teller told she had 58 rolls (hand rolled). I immediately thought.....a dump. I don't leave any stones unturned so I went there and picked them up. Pulled 57 silver halves.....almost an average of 1 per roll.....so you just never know.

Now, on the flip side, I have also picked up halves (hand rolled) with a similar type scenario and have been skunked. Again, you just never know.

Good luck out there........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back