apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Apush & I settled down on Thursday and Friday evening (with beverages in hand) with a total of 8 boxes. It has been a long week at school

Thursday nights 4 boxes were a full el skunko. :( I picked up 4 boxes today. One was a skunk, one only produced 1-40%, one 8-40% & 1 1937-Walker, plus one clad cameo. Then, Mr. Apush found the following from one box:

Our first "silver" cameos. Well, at least I think so. The "clink" sound is there and the rims are solid silver colored--unlike the cameos that have that orange tinge around the rims. Needless to say, if this is so, we almost fell over!

Here are the dates (we found a total of 15 cameos--14 in one box--6 are silver). Mr. Apush found all the silver cameos. Yep, he is really hooked now. :laughing9:

These are the silver:
1992-S
1993-S
1996-S
1998-S
2003-S
2004-S

These are the clad cameo: 1978-S; 1979-S; 1984-S; 1985-S; 1993-S; 1995-S; 2001-S; 2005-S; 2003-S

There is a visual difference I found between the silver cameos and the clad cameos. The background and face have a different sheen (silver cameo v. clad cameo--at least that is what I see--someone correct me if I am not going down the right road here).

We also found a total of 21 40%--one was even marked in hot pink! Go figure.

So, here is the question: Are the silver cameos worth any more than just melt value? Needless to say, we had a nice evening. Labor Day Holiday around the corner--yes!!! Time to sleep in a bit.

HSH,
apush :read2:

Upvote 0

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
May find someone on the board to do some horsetradin with, other than that probly just worth melt. Nice catch, last month I found (2) 1992's in a bag. BTW I can see a few dates that would fit in my Dansco. HH Mark

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
The Silver ones you found are 90%. If they are in nearly proof condition still they can bring a decent premium over melt. I had a fella offer me $25 and up for my nearly perfect silver proofs as he is just filling holes in his collection and doesnt want to buy entire proof cases. Plus the encased coins are very expensive and lose value once he takes them out of the case to put in a book.

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
apush:

use redbook to reference prices. research difference between cameo and deep cameo. There is another designation as well. the 'frostier' the image the more it's worth (technically if it's out of it's roof set it's at the buyer's discretion).

~phrostie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread