Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
Been a daunting week. School starts tomorrow. Running ragged! :laughing9:

Hope all the educators (and everyone else) finds a pile of silver this month.

I seen on T-Net a poster stating that the coin "houses", i.e., brinks etc., cull coins. I do know we have seen this topic a mere 1K times, but I am bringing it up again.

Do they really do it? Or do they not? This is the question I pose. Who really knows? I would like a bit of input. My finds have diminished considerably, but I account that to the summer months as well as the high price of silver. My boxes have started to pick up a bit. Comments?

apush :read2:

Upvote 0

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
If they culled the silver. Then all the boxes we get should have only clad. Have a happy school year. My dad was a teacher for 35 years, he loved it. he said you only have to work 188 days a year. Good luck and HH.

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
apush said:
Hi all,

I seen on T-Net a poster stating that the coin "houses", i.e., brinks etc., cull coins. I do know we have seen this topic a mere 1K times, but I am bringing it up again.

Do they really do it? Or do they not? This is the question I pose. Who really knows? I would like a bit of input. My finds have diminished considerably, but I account that to the summer months as well as the high price of silver. My boxes have started to pick up a bit. Comments?

Depends on the office and the place.
the more stick ones would not allow it. But some of the smaller offices and stations do allow it, or the management allows it, or contracts it out.
bottom line is. if a business can make more money...they do. unless they are under very strict rules. As far as I know there is no law prohibiting a private business from increasing its revenues.
And I do buy from and contract with a couple, so yes. some places do, when its convenient for them to do so. I would imagine its the smaller locations that have the time to do so.

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011
jewelerdave said:
apush said:
Hi all,

Depends on the office and the place.
the more stick ones would not allow it. But some of the smaller offices and stations do allow it, or the management allows it, or contracts it out.
bottom line is. if a business can make more money...they do. unless they are under very strict rules. As far as I know there is no law prohibiting a private business from increasing its revenues.
And I do buy from and contract with a couple, so yes. some places do, when its convenient for them to do so. I would imagine its the smaller locations that have the time to do so.

I do not know the specifics, but there are in fact laws that stop specific types of facilities. I do believe that brinks and other companies fall under the list of companies that are prohibited from culling silver.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
right because most of the time these places are just processing the coin, not taking ownership of it, so its not theirs to cull and they could face serious fines by doing so.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
No.

You are finding less silver because every silver coin a CRHer finds is one less for you to find. With silver's price steadily going up over the past 10 years, much silver has been pulled permanently from circulation. Silver in circulation is not a renewable resource like trees, crops, etc. Once it is pulled it is pulled. Any CRHer or collector who finds it is very unlikely to let it slip out of their control back into circulation. Instead it winds up in collections or is sold to coin dealers who sell it to collectors. The modern collector (investor) is not like grandpa who put his coins away 50 years ago and whose heirs are now finding them and maybe depositing them at banks.

I have never seen once in my 3+ years on this site ANY definitive proof silver was being culled by any of the major coin rolling companies.

The fact that people still find silver in their boxes means it is not being culled by the coin facilities.

All just my opinion.

Jim

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Hey apush, I have a very good friend who is a banker at wells fargo-they are brinks where I am. They have been a pick up bank for me for a while now, so I have gotten to know the manager quite well, she told me about a conversation with the brinks people last week.... The brinks guys told her, yeah, I cant believe these people who keep ordering halves for the silver... They order boxes, and then take the boxes to a different bank, well once we realized what was going on, we just put the "dumps" right back in the front of the hopper so those are the ones getting re-wrapped and going out again. So I know they "brinks" dont cull silver in my area, but they dont do anything to help us score either.

There is another one (coin carrier) that I have never heard brought up on this site that services a C.U. in my area, and im willing to bet that they do cull the silver... In the first 5 bags I ordered from this particular place, I found over 60 silvers.... Then, for the next 10 straight bags....... Nothin, nada, zilch. I cant imagine any other reasonable explanation other than they started culling silver...

So I think the specifics are going to vary for everyone based on the situation. (carriers, location, managers, banks, rules, equipment, etc....)

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Apush,

I do not mean any disrespect with this reply, but I ask, "Does it matter?"

I mean, if these banks are milked dry, does it really matter whether they are culling, the services are culling, or whether their coin pool has so many pickers that nothing escapes?
They are so consistently barren that I cannot ignore the pattern here.

All I know is that SOME banks are better left alone, the effort to even walk in the door to order is not worth it.

That leaves me to concentrate my ordering and CRH'ing ELSEWHERE.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread