apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been doing "okay" lately with listing on the bay. I generally turn anywhere from $300-$400 a month part time--which is good for this ol'gal and it is just a few more bucks in the bank. Meager it is as compared to some here, but it adds up over time.

But, I have had a few issues of as late. 2 buyers did not pay, and 1 asked me to ship to an address not listed (I refused and sent it to the address listed on the bay). Generally, I do not have any issues, but here lately it is beginning to add up. Is it the upcoming season? Anyone else having issues with payment? I have blocked a few bidders and noticed that those that do not pay have no purchase history. Could it be someone(s) out for revenge???? Anyone ever feel that way? Perhaps it is just what it is.

apush

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just working for free and sometimes at a loss on some items. I have had my share of buyers coming up with excuses as sudden illness or other bills suddenly come up, house burnt down and a plethora of other issues. A couple others did not update their current address and items were returned by post office. I eat them all for fear of neg. feedback.
I recently had a jerk wad contact me 8 weeks after a sale "case opened" because the new battery in his roomba vacuum only worked for 40 minutes continuously on a charge.

There are plenty of buyers that have no qualms about blackmail antics to get a better or free deal on items. One day... they will get a personal visit if they are close enough. Until then, I hope they are satisfied.

Losers come in small runs, don't let it bother you and keep doing what you do!

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
The more volume you do, the better chance you have for problems, and good sales. It's all an odds game. Don't back down to the bad folks. Most times they will back down. Bad feedback is not the end of the world, or your side business. Try to update your selling preferences. Block people with bad feedback, bad marks for failing to adhere to eBay rules. Things like that. Keep at it and remember to have fun. It can be a blast once you really get going. I have given a few full and partial refunds but only when I was sure or reasonably sure it was my fault or faulty product.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Oh, and one other thing, you should probably be upset with some ebayers, not eBay. That's just my opinion. eBay is the middle man. The fantastic, yet sometimes over-bearing middle man. It's still the best deal out there by a factor of at least 100 to 1.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
You aren't alone (shipping to unlisted address) apush. Take a look at Scuba Gear and a new ebay problem, at least for me (Oct 24, 2013)...

Ursus

Apr 3, 2009
Ohio
I found that, on at least auction items, if I select that I won't sell to those without a PayPal account my issues with non pays & slow pays have been almost non existent.

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
Yea I have been dealing with a lot of trolls lately. I had one where I sold a really cheap coin too. I made probably about a $1 off it. He then complains I mailed him a package that was empty (not true). Well my mistake was refunding the money back right away out of fear of a neg feedback. Well he then leaves me neutral feedback stating he never received any package. So I complain to ebay saying he contradicted himself but they didn't care. I believe the quote was "buyers can leave whatever opinion they want." I've also had a lot of non payers that have somewhat high feedback (100-400 range).

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
saying he contradicted himself but they didn't care. I believe the quote was "buyers can leave whatever opinion they want."

you can leave a neg F/B for him you just have to know how to do it. This is a close example of the last neg I left (been a while can't remember exactly)

first you will only be give opportunity to leave positive f/b, click on it and say something like

GREAT EBAYER, won't pay, won't return messages, you are blocked!

last time I checked it was still on his page.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done over $12k in sales part-time so far this year and have maintained my 100% feedback only by taken a few hits along the way. If it's a $20 item, it's not worth fighting for. If it's a $200 item, I try to resolve situations in an amicable way for both parties involved. One trick that i've used is explaining the work, energy, and money they will spend in returning an item and then offering a partial refund. This works well with used electronics but could be helpful with other items as well. In your situation, tell them you will have to file a claim with post office before issuing refund and that it could take a few weeks before you will here back from them. Then see if they follow up with you.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can leave a neg F/B for him you just have to know how to do it. This is a close example of the last neg I left (been a while can't remember exactly)

first you will only be give opportunity to leave positive f/b, click on it and say something like

I've done this several times and to my knowledge they are still there. It's all in the wording. "Lovely ebayer, didn't pay for item, no communication, Good times... not!"

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is usually a minor uptick in non-paying customers during the holiday season. For us it goes from under 1% to around 2%. There is a slight bias towards 0 prior transaction / no feedback customers. For the most part, we are able to cancel the transactions and re-list the items. You can set your preferences to the max restrictions to cut out some of the deadbeats. You will then get dozens of requests from people pleading their case as to why you should exempt them from your requirements - it is time consuming, but I generally exempt on the theory that they may usually be a deadbeat, but really want this item so its in their own best interest to pay. Also -- there's always the fear of the nutjob who gets snubbed by your restrictions and then bids from a friends account only to leave negative feedback (I read that on a blog, and it scared me even -- if it's just a conspiracy theory).

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

"Negative positive feedback" is against ebay rules.

I see countless posts where people complain about how a buyer wronged them in some way. I don't understand why not just go through ebay's dispute process and call it a day...

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish i knew more about Ebay stuff, i have tons of Ike dollars i would love to try and list (other stuff from garage sales/thrift shops also), see them on there all the time and wouldn't mind selling mine for a lower price them all those guys. Just don't really want to deal with what sounds like a giant hassle from people and maybe paying taxes on it?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Wish i knew more about Ebay stuff, i have tons of Ike dollars i would love to try and list (other stuff from garage sales/thrift shops also), see them on there all the time and wouldn't mind selling mine for a lower price them all those guys. Just don't really want to deal with what sounds like a giant hassle from people and maybe paying taxes on it?

Why sell your Ikes for a price lower than the competition? By the time you pay shipping and fees, your profit margin would be so small it would hardly be worth your while, no?

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why sell your Ikes for a price lower than the competition? By the time you pay shipping and fees, your profit margin would be so small it would hardly be worth your while, no?

I would be happy as a clam with a 10% markup on 6k, i don't need to make 15%-80% like a lot i see on ebay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions