Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

It has been a while since I posted cause I have not have had anything worth posting. Picked up a nickel box this week and found the following. Best silver haul I have had in while. I was very happy with the variety. In same box found 20+ keepers of what folks call "BU" in 1960s nickels. Yes, many have the "steps" which I have been trained to search for as D_D has made sure I do.

The contents included the following . . .

4 war nickels
1 pitted buffalo (so bad it is just depressing)
1 1898 V Nickel (my first in a long, long time, but she is so faded I almost cried)
Then, there seems like someone was bored and whittled away two nickels (included in pic). One of my goals, some day, is to find a hobo coin. Wish this ol' gal luck on this one!
Plus, a magician's nickel coin with only the "innards." Wish I could have found the "outters" since I don't have a nickel magicians coin. ;D
Add to that, 2 Canadian coins and 1 South American coin.

Also 4 halves this week (1917 Walker & 2 1964s plus 1 40%er)
5 Silver Dimes (all Rosies except 1-1941)

Slim Pickins--but a tad bit to add to the pile.

HSH,
apush :read2:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 521
Upvote 0

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
That is an -awesome- box of nickels :o Only thing I've ever gotten from nickels of note is a single war nickel. So a buffalo, a V and 4 war nickels is a great score :icon_thumright:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome box!! nickels are always fun to search, you never know what you'll find.

dougbfromnorthga

Apr 10, 2011
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon & Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds. I actually like the whittled coins. Pretty cool. HH Doug

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a variety there. I wonder why the nickels where shaved.

I found my first V nickel in an antique pinball machine recently and discovered my 1902 was .060" thick compared to .072" for newer ones.

:icon_sunny:

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd call that a pretty good week! A nice variety of silver all around.

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
Cool find. The whittled Nickel on the right looks like a broadstrike. Is it larger than the other Nickels?

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Well done, Apush. More for the pile and an interseting variety. Thanks for the pic.
Stay well,
rileyboy
(Rich, R.I.P.)

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
The only found hobo nickels I've heard of were found with a metal detector along railroad tracks. The hobos used to have camps set up in different towns, usually on the outskirts and those are the areas to search. Never heard of one being found CRHing but I'm sure it's possible. Good luck.

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do I see a mintmark on that Buffalo? Might be valuable even in a pitted state if it's a rare date or variety (and some can be identified even if they're worn dateless).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread