"AR" monogram "New York" "2391" medallion? holed...copper/nickel?

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"AR" monogram "New York" "2391" medallion? holed...copper/nickel?

File10.jpg I found this back in 1993 in the yard of a house from around the late 19th century. Is it a key fob from a hotel? Baggage tag? Railroad tag of some sort?:BangHead:It's the size of a half dollar and there is nothing on the reverse. Looks like maybe nickel to me as I have found shield nickels that look this exact same color...well that might not mean anything. ANY help appreciated! :notworthy:

Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder if there was an AR Ferry .. looks similar to a permanent ferry token.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What puzzles me is the high number. With the fancy monogram and half dollar size, it's perfect for a hotel room key tag, BUT the number is too high. The only token I can think of right now with high numbers is a tool key check tag. So what else would have high 'permanent' numbers? Permanent in this case meaning it was used over and over. Interesting, Breezie
[h=1]http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-960665/vintage-htco-brass-tool-key-check-tag-keychain-token-antique-old.html[/h]

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that crossed my mind in the last 20 years as well too, but I thought a hotel with that many rooms would be HUGE! It's surely late or turn of the (20th) century. It looks to ornate to be part of something machinery related...I just don't know. I do find it interesting that Bramblefind found another one so quickly.
What puzzles me is the high number. With the fancy monogram and half dollar size, it's perfect for a hotel room key tag, BUT the number is too high. The only token I can think of right now with high numbers is a tool key check tag. So what else would have high 'permanent' numbers? Permanent in this case meaning it was used over and over. Interesting, Breezie
[h=1]http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-960665/vintage-htco-brass-tool-key-check-tag-keychain-token-antique-old.html[/h]

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes that crossed my mind in the last 20 years as well too, but I thought a hotel with that many rooms would be HUGE! It's surely late or turn of the (20th) century. It looks to ornate to be part of something machinery related...I just don't know. I do find it interesting that Bramblefind found another one so quickly.

As far as 'looking too ornate' for machinery, just about everything during the Victorian era was ornate and highly decorated. Even saloons had do-dads & curly cues painted on their signs, and often it was highlighted in gold colored paint. Queen Victoria basically looked like a modern day 'drag queen,' (meaning no disrespect to the ole gal :laughing7:). She was ELABORATE; therefore, every decor followed suit. Victorian furniture had carved pieces with flowers, fruits, nuts, leaves, etc. If there was a place for dust to gather, it was during that period of time. Fabric was heavy velvets, brocades, silks, satins, etc., so having a 'fancy' tag would not surprise me for that era.

Also, I'm not surprised Bramble found one so quickly. If there is information or a pic on the Internet, she'll find it! :thumbsup:

I'm not saying it is a tool tag, but I wouldn't rule it out because of the AR script.

:) Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No,nothing on the back...looks awfully fancy/heavy duty for a dog tag. I have some from the 50's ...I suppose it's possible...I don't know why but I have a feeling it has something to do with railroads...Epiphany: I wonder if it could be from a hat!? Like a porter or some other profession?
Looks like it could be a numbered old dog registration tag, anything on the reverse?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just think it looks more like a medallion or badge than something meant to be so utilitarian (even for Victorian times).
As far as 'looking too ornate' for machinery, just about everything during the Victorian era was ornate and highly decorated. Even saloons had do-dads & curly cues painted on their signs, and often it was highlighted in gold colored paint. Queen Victoria basically looked like a modern day 'drag queen,' (meaning no disrespect to the ole gal :laughing7:). She was ELABORATE; therefore, every decor followed suit. Victorian furniture had carved pieces with flowers, fruits, nuts, leaves, etc. If there was a place for dust to gather, it was during that period of time. Fabric was heavy velvets, brocades, silks, satins, etc., so having a 'fancy' tag would not surprise me for that era.

Also, I'm not surprised Bramble found one so quickly. If there is information or a pic on the Internet, she'll find it! :thumbsup:

I'm not saying it is a tool tag, but I wouldn't rule it out because of the AR script.

Upvote 0

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd pursue the thought that it is a department store charge tag. In the day before plastic, customers were issued numbered fobs that were to be shown when buying items on credit.
John in the Great 208

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Idaho has a good idea there, I think. A dog registration tag would have a date, as would a vehicle registration disc (NY didn't issue plates before 1910, just a disc with your reg #). It crossed my mind that if it were a hotel room, which seems unlikely, the hotel may have been just on the 23rd and 24th floor of a building (24th included due to the other example found), using the first 2 digits as the floor, but there weren't many if any buildings that tall back then in NY, and it would indicate at least 91 rooms per floor (second two digits)... which also wouldn't match the buildings of the day.
Have you checked the edge of the piece for markings?

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just think it looks more like a medallion or badge than something meant to be so utilitarian (even for Victorian times).

Does the hole look machine made as if it were there originally or does it look added?

Benz, I think it could easily be a fancy "R" as well as it could be an "AR."

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm no haven't looked at the edge.
Idaho has a good idea there, I think. A dog registration tag would have a date, as would a vehicle registration disc (NY didn't issue plates before 1910, just a disc with your reg #). It crossed my mind that if it were a hotel room, which seems unlikely, the hotel may have been just on the 23rd and 24th floor of a building (24th included due to the other example found), using the first 2 digits as the floor, but there weren't many if any buildings that tall back then in NY, and it would indicate at least 91 rooms per floor (second two digits)... which also wouldn't match the buildings of the day.
Have you checked the edge of the piece for markings?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hole looks fairly uniform but was probably added. Pretty sure it's A R too.
Does the hole look machine made as if it were there originally or does it look added?

Benz, I think it could easily be a fancy "R" as well as it could be an "AR."

Upvote 0

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being the other numbered tags found like that one had the hole in the same place limits the choices. With no date or anything on the back dog tags are out. If the R is a railroad or even a hotel, being that they are all numbered, the only thing I can think of is it could be a baggage check tag, but more likely it's a daily subway pass, or a toll booth tag for a key chain that they used and just had too show it as they walked past the ticket counter. I'm thinking thousands of tags like this.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about a coat /hat check tag for the Astor Room in Queens? Just thinking out loud...

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Astor Room? Sounds promising.
How about a coat /hat check tag for the Astor Room in Queens? Just thinking out loud...

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread