Archaeologist/Metal detectors

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Difference between an archaeologist and a detectorist/hunter is a few years in college specifically for the items we find,oh and the debt that came with that college education. I think that's why the archs get so upset, they paid all that money to do what we do.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every treasure hunter I have ran into on my journey's have been great people, Every Archy I have ran into have been rude, mean, hateful and acted very immature.

That is my experience - Though I am sure there are a few hunters that are jerks and a few Archys that are decent.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow...this is gonna be a touchy thread..lol

I have respect for all 3 for different reasons

I would consider myself a treasure hunter... I would never destroy an area...or steal from sacred Native American areas..

I also dont think Metal detecting is considered Looting..it might be annoying to some people seeing holes every now and than....Now brining in a Excavator to a Historical Site is a different story..

I think Archaeologists do a great thing in preserving History, as treasure seekers and detectorist, are more of collectors of History.

It boils down to the Person ..IMO

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i worked for a crm firm , which is esentialy a contract arch,firm,where ever state was going to impact a hist/prehist site ,and there was usualy a distain for the collecter,but i found that it was mostly the young newly educated, who were proudly wearing there brand new badge of ethics, but the older more experienced ,were often more than happy to look at a locales collection,or hear their story of a place nearby and soforth,i was more than egar to see what came from a site nearby, if nothing else ,to see what lithics were found, and i will be absolutly honest the finest clovis points i ever saw then or now were from private collections ,found by local collectors, and i would not have had the pleasure if it werent for them, my opinon is that people have been littering the landscape for thousands of years, and there is plenty for all, with respect of course.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen both sides. I have worked on multiple projects with archaeologists in both a volunteer and paid capacity. Some of the archaeologists recognize the expertise we bring to the table in locating metal or battlefield artifacts. Others look at us as "pot hunters" and don't give us recognition for what we do. I've seen digs where we do a better job at digging techniques to preserve artifacts.

I think there is common ground to be made through communication. There are "bad" detectorists and "bad" archaeologists, but we don't have to all be lumped together.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
YoungBlood

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
Yep, that's what I expected.
When I say a little archaeologist its because I'm in 8th grade and can't volunteer yet, but I have studied archaeology on my own and with archaeologists. Done a few of my own digs. I also plan on taking archaeology in collage

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool man but i have to tell you there isnt much money in it, but if you love it then go for it, i worked at heberling assoc for three years just out of high school ,and loved every project , i got to work gettysburg twice, but was limited to impact zone , but was cool, a bridge replacement where first shots were fired in a running skirmish , and the other was a visitors center where they had photos of a (reported med tent ) , gruesome photo legs and horse corpses, but was determined this a local effort of cleanup, we supected that .got to work a few fantastic contact period sites, these were the most exciting , one project on rt879 n of clearfield pa on a confluence of a small stream and the west branch of sesquhana river, a prehist site with a 1790s blacksmith site on top of it very cool one of my coolest finds was there , i was verting a wall for photos , and flicked out of wall a steatite gorget, a meter deep , with a sortof sun burst type design carved in it , it went phase three total excavation and every meter pit had multi layered fire features , found heat treated jasper in the feature and only partialy worked a moment in time supercool. but i got lucky ,my town had a crm firm , which was owned by paul heberling a professor of anthro at juniata college, i started with them ,great people ,quik to clearly explain ,they still take students for feild work when you get older of course heberling assoc, alexandria pa. very good people, i worked there twenty years ago and would still be there ,,but had to chase the dollar ,i have 7 kids , i guess i loved women as much as history lol but keep open mind for some of your greates treasures will come from unlikely spots

OP
OP
YoungBlood

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
very cool man but i have to tell you there isnt much money in it, but if you love it then go for it, i worked at heberling assoc for three years just out of high school ,and loved every project , i got to work gettysburg twice, but was limited to impact zone , but was cool, a bridge replacement where first shots were fired in a running skirmish , and the other was a visitors center where they had photos of a (reported med tent ) , gruesome photo legs and horse corpses, but was determined this a local effort of cleanup, we supected that .got to work a few fantastic contact period sites, these were the most exciting , one project on rt879 n of clearfield pa on a confluence of a small stream and the west branch of sesquhana river, a prehist site with a 1790s blacksmith site on top of it very cool one of my coolest finds was there , i was verting a wall for photos , and flicked out of wall a steatite gorget, a meter deep , with a sortof sun burst type design carved in it , it went phase three total excavation and every meter pit had multi layered fire features , found heat treated jasper in the feature and only partialy worked a moment in time supercool. but i got lucky ,my town had a crm firm , which was owned by paul heberling a professor of anthro at juniata college, i started with them ,great people ,quik to clearly explain ,they still take students for feild work when you get older of course heberling assoc, alexandria pa. very good people, i worked there twenty years ago and would still be there ,,but had to chase the dollar ,i have 7 kids , i guess i loved women as much as history lol but keep open mind for some of your greates treasures will come from unlikely spots

REALLY AWESOME!!! Thanks. I love archaeology and history and I don't care if make a buck. Being an archaeologist has been my dream since I was little kid (weird right). I also love setting the history books straight because so many of them are wrong.

Last edited:

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What problem I have is how we as metal detectorists are looked down upon by archs. How we're considered ravagers of history well in their eyes anyone besides them who unearth anything. Funny thing is and I know there's are some archs here is that most of them have collections themselves, so where honestly do they get off saying we loot? Is it because they received a piece of paper saying I graduated and now that gives me legal right to do what you can't and I can make laws up to defend that. Look back at digs in Egypt, India etc how archaeologists looted the tombs, graves,palaces and homes and kept the stuff taking it back to their countries, England being one of the worst and America not far behind. I love history and do whatever I can to protect it but I don't want to infringe upon people's rights just so I can dog the hole first.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

OP
OP
YoungBlood

YoungBlood

Sep 18, 2012
As several people have said I believe everyone in the historic fields (metal detectors, archaeologists, etc.) Can find even ground. Like I said I'm a little of all so I don't look down on one. As an archaeologist I wouldn't dig a site such as a burial mound unless it was in danger. As a metal detector I wouldn't dig an important archaeological site. We should all try and compromise.

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I'm not a "looter" if I'm MD'ing my own property. I don't have degrees in Archeology. Call me a MD'er or Treasure Hunter (most appropriate because I do more than MD), but do it in a nice way.

I don't like the way "Treasure Hunter" has a bad connotation. How about Historical Research and Recovery Technician? I do more than show up, swing my MD and dig holes. Like most, I plan, research, and study the area. Then when I find things I do more research. I also document my research and findings (yeah, I'm a bit of a geek).

Regarding my views about others-there's good and bad of every demographic.

But, if you are on my property without my permission digging anything, you're a looter and you will be sorry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread