All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Id say its some kind of crude bowl for something. I couldnt say what though. It looks man made.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe its a nutting stone ore something like that. Like a mortar, as quito suggested.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May just be me, but it looks more like petrified wood than soapstone. Did they let you pick it up and look it over?

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting piece? it looks to me from the photos that it may have been a preform, not finished, or used much. Those soapstone outcroppings and resource areas have also been scrounged repeatedly from pre-history to present times. I knew a man who did soapstone art sculptures out of pieces about that size, and it looks like a piece he could have found, tested for suitability, and decided to discard and look for something better. That piece looks sorta freshly removed or retrieved from an outcropping, with that angular petrified wood look it has, rather than smoothed over by thousands of years of exposure to climate and geology?

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I collected some of that MD soapstone (with hard black inclusions) and it is exceptionally soft material, so while it could have been done in ancient times from the looks of it the piece was idly carved sometime recently with a rock pick for no particular purpose other than to play with the material, which wouldn't have taken more than a few minutes. It doesn't really look like provenanced pre-columbian soapstone/steatite preforms or finished pieces either.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is likely soapstone. However, when fashioning something like vessels, such as soapstone bowls, the natives usually began crafting the bowl form right in the outcrop. Then they pried the blank off the outcrop. As seen in these two photos. The first is a soapstone outcrop showing the still attached ancient forms, and the second a blank found in a field a few miles from the quarry.....

IMG_9230.jpg

IMG_9231.jpg

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a neat example Charl

Top Member Reactions