Archeology Day 2015 and some of my finds

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today the archeologists from the Joara/Berry site in my county were at the museum telling people about their finds so I took some of my 2014 stuff for them to tell me what I had. The shards were all Burke Phase pottery except the painted ones (orange) they believe them to be from the Spaniards and were very very interested in them because finding them and verifying them helps mark the route Pardo and his men used through NC. We might be sending them off somewhere to determine it.

The points were described as at least 4,500 or more years old depending on which one you are talking about, the Palmer being the oldest. The material of the Palmer is chert/flint that is not found in my area but in east Tennessee. The large broken Savannah River spear point I asked about the material and SCrocks I owe you an apology as it is a type of quartzite as you had said. The small Savannah River arrow point is not rhyolite but instead argillate (not sure about the spelling but it rhymes with rhyolite) which is found in abundance in this area. The quartz Morrow Mtn is a type II. The quartz triangle he felt may be a tip but might be a type of yadkin, he wasn't real sure if it was broke at the base or not but another man stepped up and said he had several just like it he found in his field.

Thanks everyone for all their input on my finds during 2014, ya'll nailed it on all of them! Now I'm wastin' daylight and it's not raining so going out to find more (I hope!!!) HH

WP_20150124_002.jpg

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to break out the MD and look for Spanish coins. Sounds like you had a good time and thanks for the update. What did they say about the drilled pottery piece?

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Said the drilled piece was probably for carrying and not mending but didn't say if it was Burke phase or not. He said that in his opinion he didn't see how a pot was functional after they put a mending piece on it. I didn't get to ask the other one his thoughts on that piece of pottery. Also, I didn't offer any ideas on anything, just let them tell me and then I would ask questions after.

There was a bunch of stuff on the table that a 90 yr old man brought to ask about that were field finds over the years. The archy said the old man only wanted to verify if they were native american because he was leaving them for his grandkids. He had broken Savannah River spear points, Guilfords, marbles that look like "turned" copper, a large amethyst. a stone that looked like jasper and I asked if it was, the archy said he thought it was slag because it had that bubbled look on one side. I wish I had taken a pic.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its fun to just watch everyone else bring their stuff in to see what they have found. I also ask people after they had their turn if it is possible for me to have a look on their properties. Every once in a while you get a yes.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its fun to just watch everyone else bring their stuff in to see what they have found. I also ask people after they had their turn if it is possible for me to have a look on their properties. Every once in a while you get a yes.

I wanted to talk to him, find out where in the county he found his stuff but he was deep in conversation with Dr. Moore and then he disappeared leaving his stuff lol I wish they would do this more often than once a year. They do other events but it's not the same. They invited me to view the Berry site dig and I'm curious about it so will prolly go there at some point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread