thecolonel

May 1, 2013
Hampstead, NH
Detector(s) used
Whites ID
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am currently attending an archeological field school where we are hand troweling an old 1795 home here in New Hampshire. I was working on the north east corner of the foundation, 2nd layer.The context was yielding the typical sherds of cermamics, glass, bone, coal and other things most folks dont have to tend with when using a detector. I was digging through an ash heap within the layer and all of a sudden, the trowel uncovered a coin. A silver coin, from the ash. A 1905 Barber Quarter. Made my day. As a detectorist, I was thrilled. As an archeologist student, pleased that we were able to somewhat date the layer at 18cm down. I was obligated to turn it in with the rest of my finds, but was quite satisfied. Just wanted to share it with you.
Tom
10300699_10153383068796462_2887547682996732536_n.jpg 11403401_10153383069011462_9024684307637776466_n.jpg

Upvote 16

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's neat, tedious but neat!
Good find!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find and one that most here can relate to over a layer of coal ash or similar layers of sedimentation.

Just wondering if you have brought up the fact that you are familiar with metal detecting and how does the archeological community feel about the detecting community?

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Wonderful Endeavor blending both archaeological and metal detecting. I have a big interest in both. Thanks for sharing

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and one that most here can relate to over a layer of coal ash or similar layers of sedimentation.

Just wondering if you have brought up the fact that you are familiar with metal detecting and how does the archeological community feel about the detecting community?

I registered for the avocational archaeology program here in central Virginia a few years back and in order to enroll I had to sign an oath to not metal detect.......no thanks!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to metal detect?????? Omg, there is no way!!!!!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No detecting? Sir Charles says "that's turribul"

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, great post

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have done lots of screening,and yes, there is lots to be found using this method....buttons,marbles,chirt,doll parts etc. Quite tedious especially when after a day, you only cover less than 20 square feet if it is a pit dig. Nice that you got the best of both worlds in your blood(md and archae),I am surprised your instructor hasn't discouraged your md endeavors.BTW nice Barber, and are you allowed to pic your other artifacts or are they bagged and tagged soon after being sifted?

OP
OP
thecolonel

thecolonel

May 1, 2013
Hampstead, NH
Detector(s) used
Whites ID
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. Just got back to this site. Sorry for the delay. The answer to your question is YES...they are aware of my metal detecting. Having a brief discussion with the staff archeologist i was somewhat surprised about the SLIGHT shift of thought that detectors are slowly ...and I mean slowly, finding their way into the tool bags of a few archeologists and used in the field. The argument is that when a detectorist is ripping into the earth, they take with the target, all the information that can be gleaned from it. And when that occurs, they feel the site is worthless to them.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking large silver! Congratualtions on the recovery.

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Makro racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
im not going to lie, i would have slowly slipped it in my pocket, lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread