Are coin shop owners CRHers??

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I know many of you deal with LCS, do you all think the owners CRH? Also, I've read that some of you go in and trade/sell CRH finds and am just curious if the owners know these are CRH finds. I'm guessing since they do have a collection and they are willing to buy and sell, they probably are hunters themselves, but wasn't sure.

The reason I ask is there is a coin shop fairly close (25 mins) to where I live and a group of about 4 banks around the shop. I've never tried CRHing at any of the banks assuming they are dried up and the tellers know the owner and probably save things for him. BUT I could be wrong.

I've been in this coin shop twice and found the owner to be pretty unfriendly. I didn't lead him on that I was a CRHer, but maybe he thought I was impeding on his turf, or maybe I'm just over analyzing?

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks & HH
bblair

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The ones that I know just don't have the time as they run very successful businesses, although one writes articles that appear on "coinflation" dot com.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Another thing to consider is that most have a business account and therefore have to pay for boxes of coins at the business rate. I know my local coinshop owner and have talked to him about CRH and know he does not do it. One time he dumped a couple of hundred of halves at one of my pickup banks, the tellers told me where the coins came from, and when I talked to him he said that it was his personal bank and that his regular bank wanted to charge him so he went there. I told him I had to buy them and dump them somewhere else, they were solid rolls from different years but they were not in UC condition or I might have kept some. He is the only coin shop in town so he can buy coins all day for whatever he is willing to pay for them.

richmonddigger

Greenie
Jul 23, 2012
richmond virginia
Detector(s) used
tesoro tejon,fisher 1266,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello I own several coin shops, and I have helped many of my customers become crhunters, I buy large amounts from an armored truck and we have machines that go thru them we also share many boxes with our customers. Most coin shop guys dont have the time or energy to do it, just wanted to give you guys some info.

lol keep hunting

BlackOut

May 31, 2012
richmonddigger said:
Hello I own several coin shops, and I have helped many of my customers become crhunters, I buy large amounts from an armored truck and we have machines that go thru them we also share many boxes with our customers. Most coin shop guys dont have the time or energy to do it, just wanted to give you guys some info.

lol keep hunting

Machines like a ryedale or something else? Please elaborate on your setup if you can.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My local coin shop owner is the one who got me crh. In his case he is too busy to do it anymore as others have mentioned. If he was still an active hunter he probably wouldn't have clued me in. He also told me about tnet. I feel pretty lucky the way that worked out.
HH

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine does, and knows im a CRHer. I've walked in joking around and such, asking questions and what not and they said they do $10,000 twice a week between quarters, pennies, dimes, and halves. They also buy copper pennies at 1.25 a penny.

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
Here where I live east tn they are few actual coin shops and the ones we have are very established. One of my good friends owns a coin shop and as far as crh no he does not. He does however go through the %90 that he receive from a "we buy gold" place. He has found some very nice coins that were bought for scrap. There are only two smelters in this neck of the woods and that is the driving force behind the "junk silver" price here. I am sure in a larger city some coin shops might crh.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure most of them did it in their younger days, but today I don't think many of them see the point. Why search through $5,000 FV in a day and find 10 ounces of silver when you can go through lots of people's collections and find a rare die variety or a rare date worth $300?

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine does, and knows im a CRHer. I've walked in joking around and such, asking questions and what not and they said they do $10,000 twice a week between quarters, pennies, dimes, and halves. They also buy copper pennies at 1.25 a penny.

Lol, 1.25 a penny? Well I should go there and cash out all my copper and retire then, lol, just kidding, but it would nice, huh. HH, Maverick.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure most of them did it in their younger days, but today I don't think many of them see the point. Why search through $5,000 FV in a day and find 10 ounces of silver when you can go through lots of people's collections and find a rare die variety or a rare date worth $300?

The fact that the 10 oz of silver was free and the collection wasn't?

Aaronscicli

Greenie
Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I know my local shop doesnt. The other day i went to buy a few wheats for my collection. In my change he gave me a 1950 d nickel haha :)

richmonddigger

Greenie
Jul 23, 2012
richmond virginia
Detector(s) used
tesoro tejon,fisher 1266,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several machines , the ryedale is a good one, we have larger pieces from the fed that have large hoppers and bag all the coins, they can run all u can load .
one piece has 6 terminals.

lol

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A local coin shop guy actually gave me the idea for CRH - he said that the nearby bank was very nice, and let him get large amounts of coins to go through to look for silver. So now, I just use that bank as my dump bank!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions