Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive never hunted one myself,but consider this-- if the drive in was booming in the50s and 60s almost all quarters and dimes lost during this period will be silver...so what if the place is a little trashy turn you disc up a little higher ...silver is a high conductor and will read thru a moderate disc setting......of course there are probably alot of other people who realize this as well ,therefore the chances of the drive in being virgin ground is slim...

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bootyhoundpa, has a good point and I'd agree you may have some nice finds there. There were several in NY and NJ, but the dense soil would be pretty hard to work.. In NY it's so pact, it's like concrete :laughing7:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are going to find one of two situations. The ground covered in cement or asphalt (and bottlecaps), and it's pointless to waste your time, OR the ground was never covered and is a carpet of garbage. I have checked out several drive-ins and never found anything there worth wasting another visit on.

I think we have all heard rumors of them being good spots, but I have never heard anyone say they personally had any luck at one.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jason is spot-on, in that the only ones that'd be worth detecting, are ones that parked cars on the dirt. Because if they're paved lots, well then duh ...... :tongue3:

And if you find one where they parked on terra-firma, another "gotcha", is if others have hit it before you. Scores of them that have the right "ingredients", have been worked to a frazzle. Sure no one gets it all, but ........ some could and will have been worked sooo hard for their silver, that you're gonna have to be real good to go eak out some more.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck yes I'd go! ;D

Use a detector with a small coil and a fast recovery time and you should be able to navigate the trash effectively.

OP
OP
NicktheMainer

NicktheMainer

Mar 22, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's in the woods-not paved over or anything-and I use an ace 250, in case you want to know..

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'd go for it in a heartbeat. Years ago my dad and I worked our hometown DI and over many visits we came away with many silver dimes and quarters. Yes there's a lot of rusty pop bottle caps but it was virgin territory and really paid off.

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
I've hunted the drive in theater in my small town, and did really well on silver dimes. I think I totalled close to 20 in about 5 hunts. Funny that I never found a silver quarter. This drive in closed in the mid 80's. Of the 200+ coins I dug, most were 50's, 60's and 70's.

It's true that you're going to fight a ton of trash....but who cares? The good coins are there, you just need to pick through them. As has been mentioned, if it's too trashy, turn your disc up (I also have an Ace 250) to accept only dimes and quarters.

I found that the best spots were where the cars parked. There is very little ground debris at my drive in, and its possible from time to time to see portions of the speaker wires coming out of the ground.

MP

OP
OP
NicktheMainer

NicktheMainer

Mar 22, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mountainplayer said:
I've hunted the drive in theater in my small town, and did really well on silver dimes. I think I totalled close to 20 in about 5 hunts. Funny that I never found a silver quarter. This drive in closed in the mid 80's. Of the 200+ coins I dug, most were 50's, 60's and 70's.

It's true that you're going to fight a ton of trash....but who cares? The good coins are there, you just need to pick through them. As has been mentioned, if it's too trashy, turn your disc up (I also have an Ace 250) to accept only dimes and quarters.

I found that the best spots were where the cars parked. There is very little ground debris at my drive in, and its possible from time to time to see portions of the speaker wires coming out of the ground.

MP

Thanks, I think I will try this place, it looks promising, but I have to wait until Spring. If I ask my grandfather he could tell me where the cars parked and where the concession stand was.

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NicktheMainer said:
I've heard quite a few people say detecting drive-in theaters are frustrating and not worth it because of all the trash. But I located one on a map that shut down in the 70's and I want to know whether you think it's worth checking out.

Just curious, would this be the one in Trenton or Brewer?

OP
OP
NicktheMainer

NicktheMainer

Mar 22, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smcdmc said:
NicktheMainer said:
I've heard quite a few people say detecting drive-in theaters are frustrating and not worth it because of all the trash. But I located one on a map that shut down in the 70's and I want to know whether you think it's worth checking out.

No, my location is about 2 and a half hours away.

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NicktheMainer said:
smcdmc said:
NicktheMainer said:

No, my location is about 2 and a half hours away.

I'd definitely try it from the way you described it. The one in Brewer I think was hit pretty hard in years past and if I remember right the majority of it was paved. I believe the one in Trenton has a nursery located on it where they grow things in the summer. Just not sure of the exact location where things like the ticket booth was located. I'd like to try the fields sometime to see if they've plowed anything up.

Shane

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread