billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you find that the weekly "boost" of going to garage sales being kind of like an addiction? Yet, sometimes you find yourself excited at the morning alarm goin off, and other weeks it feels like more of an "old job" to have to go to???

In the past 3 years, and specifically, in the last 14 months, I've found my share of Adrenalin pumpers and a few heart stoppers.... Finding a 72 gram sterling bracelet for $2.00, or mixed in a baggie of jewelry there was a 14kt white gold band, or spending $12 for baggies within baggies that had a 10kt gold, 3-1/2 carat diamond tennis bracelet, or the morning I bought a floor standing jewelry box with jewelry inside for $45. I sold it for $55 still filled with jewelry, but found over $400 in silver and gold, and then a 14kt thin chain with a 1/3 carat diamond pendant... Those, and "buying to resell at our own garage sale", now have made it double hard to quit and have caused me to look at myself in the morning mirror and to wonder "When am I going to stop?"

Two weekends ago, on the Memorial Day weekend, I was feeling "withdrawal effects", when we stopped going........... and had our own garage sale.... The bad side of it found me asking the visitors, like a street beggar, if they found a lot of good things at the other garage sales and were there very many this weekend?

The tonic for my withdrawal spasums came by force and in the form of staying very busy from all the people, and it made the nights easier to sleep after counting the dollars. We've lived at this house for 34 years and NEVER have we had so many people stop, look, and buy.... Friday's are always the better of the Fri-Sat two day sales; and Saturday's dollars have always been half of Friday's sales.... This time it was a new record for both days: $2,907 was taken in....

How do you feel if you have to miss a garage sale?

Attachments

• P1020193 (Small).JPG
    P1020193 (Small).JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 314
  • P1020182 (Small).JPG
    P1020182 (Small).JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 310
  • P1020181 (Small).JPG
    P1020181 (Small).JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 310
  • P1020187 (Small).JPG
    P1020187 (Small).JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 314

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
i cant stand passing a garage sale and not stopping, it is an addiction, but fortunately a HEALTHY one! embrace it and never stop! :icon_sunny:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it can be addicting. I had my own garage sale last weekend, made $340. It feels like a month has past since I went, even though I only skipped a week. I don't like to buy things to resell at my own garage sale, I like to try and find things to sell online. I find the money is better and I don't have to haggle. Seems people are a bunch of cheapskates at garage sales. Myself included! Anyway, after last weeks garage sale I can't wait to get at it again, this weekend. I already have a list started.

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I have to have at least one garage sale 'fix' a week----I get all antsy if I can't go :tongue3: . It is addictive because you know there's so much stuff out there and you just know sometime real soon you're gonna find a fantastic item that will make you rich ;D .

AKiwi

Aug 4, 2005
Hastings, NZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500
I never seem to have any Cash on me when I turn the corner ........ AND there it is......all the stuff laid out, sure to be bargains.......and no cash! argh!...... just that one more little step to insanity

Love It Twice 2009

Apr 23, 2011
The glass city, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently borrowing a Tesoro Cortes
I think they are extremely addictive, and I just started going this past year! Every Thursday night I get the local papers and hunt Craig's list and "map out" which ones I want to hit first or think that I will have the most opportunity to find great items. Its a great hobby! Going to an estate sale this morning at 9am after working 11p to 7a so yeah, its addicting, lol

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice post...yep...finally getting to go back out tomorrow morning after three weeks...son plays serious travel/showcase baseball and we are literrally playing somewhere every weekend through mid-July...except we aren't schedule to play until 7:00 p.m. Saturday night...YES!!!

Also, I never thought this would happen, but my 14 year old daughter is completely into it. I've spent so many years dragging her to the ball field for her brothers games, she's gotten a little neglected...always been kind of hard for dad to get into tap, jazz, ballet, and cheerleading...now, she looks forward to going "treasure hunting" with dad. She finds the "girlie" stuff for me!

Time to plan the route!

Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread