Are headphones needed?

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Hi,

I am new to this metal detecting and was wondering if I missed something. I have a Fisher F5 and just bought it used. It came as metal detector only. I see that it has a jack for headphones. I see a lot of people "most people" in their pictures are using headphones. Is there an advantage to this? My machine sounds off from the conrol box. Why do you need headphones if the machine has ID sounds already? Just wondering if I am missing something, cause I am new to this? By the way , any suggestions on a digging tool and pinpointer would be appreciated.

Twig.

battlecat

Dec 23, 2004
moosic pa
No but it is polite. I have hunted a property without headphones and have been asked to leave cause the Dog was going crazy inside hearing my MD.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headphones allow you to focus and hear the sounds much better... it definitely helps in crowded areas, or if you have ADD (Attention Deficit OHHH Shiney!!!) like me! ;D Seriously, you'll hear the sounds much clearer with a good pair of headphones!! :thumbsup:

Bran <><

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many benefits to headphones. You can hear the faint noises that you probably have missed using just the speaker. The batteries last longer since it usually takes less power to run the headphones than the speaker. People around you have no idea if you are getting good signals or no signals. It is a common courtesy to not bother others. And the one I like best, sometimes you are trying hard to hunt and some little person comes to visit, usually I have time for them but sometimes do not. It depends on how many, age, etc. If they ask questions, you can answer them or pretend not to hear them. This will usually be followed up with a comment like "he can't hear us, he has headphones on." Yes, you can hear them, but they don't know that.

Pick headphones carefully. Some headphones are stereo only. I prefer them with a stereo/mono switch and must have a separate volume control for each ear.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. Headphones are like binoculars for your ears. Not only will your batteries last up to twice as long but the faint signals could be deep (and older) coins.

My Musky has no visual display and a good headset really helps with them. My Fisher has seperate video vs. audio circuits and, there again, I often hear things worth further investigation that the display initially missed (or I didn't spot). Just the additional concentration they afford makes a world of difference. But it can depend on the detector. Some give the same "beep" whenever a target passes through the field. Others give fainter to very solid "beeps" depending on the target.

I have a Detector Pro Rattler that has only one earpiece. It still allows me to hear what's going on but the earpiece can be set loud enough to really bring in the faint targets.

OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Thanks guys.

I will look into gettin a set of headphones also. I am still looking for a good pinpointer and a great digging tool also.

Twig.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I used headphones on a tot lot and the kids would just look at me and when I made eye contact would just smile and keep watching or go about playing.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And trust me, not only will you quadruple your battery time, but you will also not suffer the stampede of onlookers every time they hear you machine go BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!
And that is improtant.. Just try them in a crowded area and see the reaction you get, then take them off and see how much traffic scrambles over to ask "What did you find, what did you find"... Bottom line, if you are serious about this hobby, you need a pair.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One other note. Certain detectors run a seperate circuit for the visual vs. the audio display. An external speaker in the out-of-doors at arm's length beside your hip just isn't sensitive enough for you to catch the faint signals the VDI may have missed.

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headphones are needed imo. As far as digging tools check out predatortools.com the model 85 is the best handheld digger you will ever buy and will last you a lifetime. Thu pinpointer opions vary the garrett pro pointer is the only one I will ever own hard to beat it.

OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Can I get away with $30 headphones or do I need to buy better? I just bought a pistol probe from a forum member so now I am down to searching for my headphones and a digging tool.

Thanks for the help , Twig.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a cheap pair of headphones (full ear coverage) for a few years or so, and I think they worked just fine for the time being.
However, my new headphones blow those other ones out of the water completely!!! The sounds are way more defined, and the volume control gives me more options. I think a cheap pair of headphones, as long as they have volume control on each ear or inline volume control would do you fine for now. Just my personal opinion though.

Bran <><

OP
OP
Bent-Twig

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Thanks for the info Bran!!

There is a set on flea-bay that has volume control for each ear, stereo or mono switch,6' coiled cord. Looks like they will do the job for now. I will go order them right now. After I get to use a set for a while I may want to get the fancy ones. I still have alot to learn on the F5.

Twig.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like they should work for you. They actually sound exactly like my old pair...

Bran <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions