Are LRLs More Than Just Dowsing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California

Decide for yourself. Here are some things you should want to consider.

It should be noted that this topic neither contests nor advocates dowsing, itself. So any comments about dowsing will be considered strictly inappropriate, and will be reported as seriously off-topic.

There are certain significant points, which indicate that the claims made by LRL promoters, are seriously lacking in credibility. Here is a list of the most important ones. The items in the following list have never been successfully rebutted, or proven to be untrue.

The Big Four Proofs of LRLs Fraud

1. There is no standard electronics explanation for the devices ever working.
2. The movement of the swivel pointer or rods is not powered by the devices.
3. Makers and owners of these devices refuse to take a double blind test.
4. The proponent's only rebuttal is that they find what they are looking for. This, however is not being contested by items #1-3. The statement of this list is that the electronics add-ons, to what is merely a dowsing device, are not necessary, and are only there to charge high prices. This makes their reports of finding stuff a total Straw Man type of fallacy, and thus void as rebuttals to this list.

Is There a Way to Know if You're Being Scammed?

In order to help identify fraudulent activity, it has been found that there are certain "flags" which may be used to alert people to scams, and confidence games (con games) and those who proffer them (con artists).

The following list enables people to apply the predictability test of The Scientific Method, and thus know for certain if they are being conned (See definition #4).

The following applies to all con artists, frauds, and scammers---

The Predictable Pattern of LRL Con Artists

1. The CA (Con Artist) appears to be a successful treasure hunter, by boasting a lot.
2. The CA offers friendly advice on how you, too, can be a successful treasure hunter.
3. The friendly advice eventually involves making an expensive purchase of an LRL.
4. The expensive purchase is a fraudulent item, and doesn't work.
5. The CA claims you aren't using it right, and that you just need training.
6. The CA responds to normal questions about the circuitry, with pseudo-science.
7. If the pseudo-science is challenged, the CA says you're "too stupid" to understand it.
8. The CA calls challengers knowledgeable in electronics, "skeptics," to infer they only have doubts.
9. Then the CA says he doesn't care if you don't "believe" in the pseudo-science.
10. But the CA does care,[*a.] a lot; enough that he then strongly insults all "skeptics."
11. If the CA is really stuck for an answer, he will simply outright lie, even fake photos and videos.
12. When their lies, or their pseudo-science is further challenged, the CA simply insults you, as a diversion.[*b.]
13. When insulted back, the CA claims you're picking on him.[*c.]
14. Next, the CA claims that you must prove the item doesn't work.[*d.]
15. You say that the burden of proof is on him, because he is the claimant in the first place.
16. The CA says that because he is successful, he doesn't need to prove anything.
17. The CA says his "word" is proof enough of his success.
18. The CA may also claim that "testimonials" are proof, when obviously they are not.
19. The CA will use ad hominem attacks[*e.] on the questioner, trying to invalidate him, as a diversion.
20. The CA claims that "skeptics" are trying to "think for others," so should stop questioning.
21. The CA will say you have a mental disorder, as a diversion away from the questions.
22. If on a forum, merely to divert the topic or questions, the CA will post nonsensical comments when he is cornered by exposing his claims as false, and him as a liar.
23. To try putting you on the defensive, the CA may simply call you a liar.[*f.]
24. To try stopping your questions, the CA may attempt to stump you, by asking "false questions."[*g.]
25. The CA then begins again at #1.[*h.]
26. [*a.]There is logical reason to strongly suspect that the repetitive, aggressive "user" CA is actually working for the product makers. The reasoning is that because the LRL makers can't directly state in their advertisements that their devices actually find anything (for legal reasons), they must rely on fake "users" to make those statements for them, thus trying to distance themselves legally from those statements. Circumstantial evidence is valid in court, and common sense will show that evidence. Who else would spend great quantities of their time promoting LRLs, when they have never been proven to actually work as advertised, or as claimed by these people?
27. [*b.]The CA answers a question with an insult. This is to elicit an emotional response from you, in order to divert the subject of the discussion away from the real topic; because they cannot satisfactorily answer the real topic questions.
28. [*c.]This is where the CA tries to claim that they are the "victim," and you are just there to "disrupt the topic," even if it's your topic! They also try to claim that you are just a mean person, and that they are only there to "help people."
29. [*d.]"You prove they don't work," is merely a baiting tactic, as the CA knows full well that it is technically impossible to prove a negative. They will try to use your own questions against you, in this non-logical situation. And if anyone does show proof they don't work, the CA simply says, "That doesn't mean anything!" Yep, a totally nonscientific, illogical, childish reply. Because that's all they've got..
30. [*e.]The CA will use any means to invalidate or insult "skeptics," including God, and is particularly fond of attempting to apply amateurish pseudo-psychology, twisting terminology and definitions around, culminating in a statement that you are insane. The most common insult seems to be that the skeptic is "too stupid to understand how it works." This insulting is often done as a "baiting" tactic, to draw the person into an emotional agrument, and conveniently off the topic!
31. [*f.]The CA will call the questioner a liar, try to say the questioner is illogical, try to use non-logic, or anything else which would seem to nullify the questioner's points in asking for proof of the CA's claims, or just to try and drag the discussion off-topic.
32. [*g.]CA asks False Questions, which are based on premises that are false, so logical answers are literally impossible (Always make them prove their premises). These are known as "interrogatory statements," because they are shrouded in a question, while they covertly make a statement (the false premises). These are posed by very sneaky people who are trying not to be caught in their lies, but when they pose these phony questions, they already are! They also like to answer questions which were never asked, which is, as mentioned in the Big Four Proofs of LRL Fraud, above, is the classic Straw Man tactic.
33. [*h.]The CA's motto is "If you just keep telling the same lie, some people will believe it."
34. CAs can be observed spewing continuous, nonsensical, #10; when they realize that all is lost for them.
35. CAs also, in desperation, like to say that there is something wrong with double-blind tests. However, they never say what is wrong with them, or how they think a test should be run. This is actually a specialized version of #23 combined with #28, but it's cagey use by CAs merits separate mention.
36. Another failure of the LRL promoters, which is directly related to the double-blind test, is that they absolutely refuse to state whether their device is a dowser, dowsing enhancer, or is strictly electronic in it's functioning. The reason they won't commit to one of these, is because if they do, it can be proven wrong. So they withhold defining it, to enable them to do the "LRLer Shuffle," a dancing around to avoid getting cornered by common sense, logic, any form of Science, or in other words, reality.
37. The conclusion of the entire pattern shows up when the CA insists that others trust him by simply believing his claims, yet he always distrusts others. This is proven when an LRL promoter says they "won't get paid" the stated reward for passing a double-blind test, even though there is a legally binding contract for performance. Or they don't trust that it is a fair test, even if administered by an unbiased proctor. It's a "You must trust me, but I can't trust you" condition. And that's the classic "Confidence Game."
38. As a very last resort, when all seems lost, the Con Artist will claim that he is actually the victim and that the truths used to prove his fraud are actually insults. Of course, nothing could be further from the truth, but Con Artists operate far away from the truth, so this sort of thing is all natural for them.
39. Another tactic commonly used by the CA, is to try and get an emotional response, and thus pull the discussion off-topic, by nitpicking. The CA will pick out any small error in your rebuttal, like a typo, or some minor technical detail, or just any little irrelevant thing at all, and try to invalidate you and your entire message for it, as though it somehow contradicts all of what you are saying, and entirely validates everything they have said. This shows that they are being totally illogical, and is a sign of desperation on their part.
40. Another diversionary stalling tactic that the CA uses, when he has totally run to the end of his dead-end street of falsehoods, is the Wild Goose Chase. He will demand that you provide a quote of something that has been said a hundred times, to "prove" that it was said. Or to prove something that you never claimed. He doesn't realize that, by the time he gets this desperate, he has already been exposed as a fraud a long time ago! Humorous.
41. The latest cute trick attempt of the LRL promoters is to demand that those exposing their devices as fraudulent, try using them. How silly is that? Who in their right mind would buy an LRL that has been proven many different ways to not function, just to have some LRL promoter pull a classic #5? I didn't think they were that lame, but I guess there is no end to their ignorance.

Comment about the above list: Even though this list has been up for awhile, the LRL promoters continue to perform according to these Predictions! Apparently they don't care about being exposed by the scientifically accepted Proof of Prediction standard. They just can't stop themselves! Very interesting. But also very sad.

And then there is this excerpt from Wikipedia---

Long Range Locator

Media exposure and controversy

Author Tom Clancy came under fire for including the DKL Lifeguard, a long range locator purported to be useful for detecting people, in critical passages of his novel Rainbow Six. A study by Sandia National Laboratories proved the Lifeguard to be completely useless, and other designs by the Lifeguard's creator Thomas Afilani have been shown to contain numerous dummy components with no clear function.

Accusing the manufacturers of fraud, Great Britain banned export of the GT 200 (used by the government of Thailand) and also the ADE 651 (used by the government of Iraq) in January 2010.

If I were to offer advice to anyone, it would be, "Think for Yourself."

:coffee2:

OP
OP
EE THr

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
At the risk of making you drop your cigar, as seen in your avatar, I recommend that you study the sentence structure of the topic title.

Hint: The subject is LRLs. This title does not suggest the necessity to discuss dowsing.

To make it more clear for you, the topic is not dowsing, for the easy to understand reason that is clearly mentioned right there within the post, as #4 in the Proofs of LRL Fraud.

In fact, it's also made very clear, right there within your own quote box, as well.

:dontknow:

Also, the topic is not me, or how I planned what, nor is it SWR. Please stick to the topic, if you are interested in posting.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Everyone please follow his logic…After all he has proved that LRL’s are fraudulent with his opinion..Art

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
EE THr said:
At the risk of making you drop your cigar, as seen in your avatar, I recommend that you study the sentence structure of the topic title.

That ... might ... not be a ... cigar. avatar_30550.png

OP
OP
EE THr

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
Good morning : It has been stated over and over that they have failed in double blind tests. Which failed? The machine or the testors?

Don Jose de La Mancha

That's a good question.

You can see the requirements to collect Carl's $25,000.00 Reward if you can demonstrate that LRLs work. There is also a History of the tests that have been attempted so far, at the bottom of the page, with details of how it went.

You can also win one million dollars, by demonstrating it to James Randi.

Anyone can check them both out, and judge for themselves.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
~Real Deal~
Good morning : It has been stated over and over that they have failed in double blind tests. Which failed? The machine or the testors?

I keep hearing that..then the next sentence they are begging us to do a double blind test that well only prove if one operator can or can not use his tool. Every definition of Double Blind testing has the same kind of wording..Not a one of them implies that it would be a valid test using only one person..Art

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_experiment
A blind or blinded experiment is a scientific experiment where some of the persons involved are prevented from knowing certain information that might lead to conscious or unconscious bias on their part, invalidating the results.
For example, when asking consumers to compare the tastes of different brands of a product, the identities of the latter should be concealed — otherwise consumers will generally tend to prefer the brand they are familiar with. Similarly, when evaluating the effectiveness of a medical drug, both the patients and the doctors who administer the drug may be kept in the dark about the dosage being applied in each case — to forestall any chance of a placebo effect, observer bias, or conscious deception.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-double-blind-test.htm
A double blind test is a scientific test in which neither test subjects nor administrators know who is in the control group and who is in the experimental group. The intent is to create an unbiased test environment, ensuring that the results of the testing are accurate and will stand up to analysis by other members of the scientific community. The concept of a double blind test is an excellent example of the scientific method, since it aims to be entirely objective and potentially repeatable.
And the best of all
http://skepdic.com/control.html....
A double-blind test is a control group test where neither the evaluator nor the subject knows which items are controls. A randomized test is one that randomly assigns items to the control and the experimental groups.
The purpose of controls, double-blind, and randomized testing is to reduce error, self-deception and bias. An example should clarify the necessity of these safeguards.
It sure seems that you do not know what a Double Blind Test is..
Persons... subjects…control group… consumers..

OP
OP
EE THr

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
Artie---

aarthrj3811 said:
~Real Deal~

I keep hearing that..then the next sentence they are begging us to do a double blind test that well only prove if one operator can or can not use his tool. Every definition of Double Blind testing has the same kind of wording..Not a one of them implies that it would be a valid test using only one person..Art

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your above statements. Let me ask you a couple questions to try and clairfy what you're trying to say.

Why would a person who can't use his LRL properly, even want to take the test? That doesn't make sense to me. Please explain what you are trying to say there.

Also, how could a double blind test (scientifically) be conducted with only one person? By "using only one person," do you mean only the LRL user at the test site? Who would hide the target? Please explain this, also.

Since you have these complaints about the testing procedures offered, it would be good for everyone to fully understand what your complaints are.

OP
OP
EE THr

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
artie---

aarthrj3811 said:
Because your do not understand the purpose of double blind testing..in every definition of double blind testing you would have to have more than one person..Real simple if you have any reading comperention..Art

There is no need for insults here.

Actually, I have read Carl's double blind test, and I don't see how it relates to what your complaint is about.

By "more than one person," to you mean the person who would hide the Target, plus the person who uses the LRL, plus the person who observes whether the target is found or not? That would require three people, unless you bring an observer also, then it would be four. I don't think a limit has been set on how many people can observe.

Or are you referring to the drug tests, where they test hundreds of people. If you are thinking of this example, it is not what Carl's test is, and that is not what the term "double blind" means.

Double blind simply means that the observer is "blind" as to where the target has been hidden, that's the first "blind." The second "blind" is the LRL user, because he doesn't know where the target is hidden either. This way, neither the LRL user nor the observer(s) can subconsciously influence the location of the target. Also, the person who hides the target cannot be present during the search portion of the procedure, for the same reason.

Or are you referring to something else that I don't know about?

P.S. The link to Carl's test is in post #6, above.

OP
OP
EE THr

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
artie---

aarthrj3811 said:
I explained what needs clarification on the other thread, here: Are LRLs More Than Just Dowsing?, so you can answer there.
No I will not

OK. Well, then. So your supposed "complaint" about the tests being unfair, was all just BS.

I'm at a total loss for words. :laughing7:

Whatever....

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
I sure hope people go to Carl’s page and read the test..Then google double blind test to see what I am talking about..good move for us
I did not say the test was unfair..I said it was not a double blind test and will only prove if one person can or can not use his tool

OP
OP
EE THr

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
artie---

Well, your missing the point on the term "double blind."

And you want to relate it to the method used for testing drugs. LRLs aren't drugs, and aren't tested the same way. Except that the double blind standard is applied.

If your concerned that just one person taking the test might fail, I don't see why. If a person can't make his device perform, then he wouldn't be very bright to take the test in the first place.

Carl's test doesn't even require a perfect score, either!

So, I know that you keep repeating about the one person thing, but I'm still not sure exactly what you mean by that. Nor is it clear what you think is unfair about it. Since you seem reluctant to fully explain yourself, I have to still consider your complaint to be BS.

Why don't you explain what you think a fair method of testing would be?

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
~EE THr~
Well, your missing the point on the term "double blind."
The law tells Drug Companies to do Double Blind Studies not Double Blind Tests
LRLs aren't drugs, and aren't tested the same way. Except that the double blind standard is applied
Could you point us to one Double blind Test where a LRL was used ?
If your concerned that just one person taking the test might fail, I don't see why. If a person can't make his device perform, then he wouldn't be very bright to take the test in the first place.
You don’t seem to see anything.
Just like the definitions say’s..It is real clear that one person is not a Double Blind Test

where some of the persons involved are prevented from knowing certain information that might lead to conscious or unconscious bias on their part, invalidating the results
which neither test subjects nor administrators know who is in the control group and who is in the experimental group.
\ A double-blind test is a control group test where neither the evaluator nor the subject knows which items are controls.

OP
OP
EE THr

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
artie---

OK. So you're saying that in Carl's double blind test, the person using the LRL would be chosen at random, or something like that? So the person using it might not know how to use it?

I didn't get that from reading Carl's test requirements, but I'll read them again.

EE THr said:

You didn't directly respond to this part of my question, so I can only assume the answer. I take it that you would be OK with the test, if the LRL person, himself, could use the LRL in the test?

OP
OP
EE THr

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
artie---

Well, I just reread the test requirements, and it says that you, yourself, can operate the LRL in the test.

And it also says that you only have to locate the target 7 our of 10 times.

I don't see how your complaint correlates with the test requirements.

If I'm still not understanding your complaint, please explain it further, or any other issues you might have with Carl's test.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
My complain is that you keep calling Carl’s and Randi’s tests a Double Blind Test.. Every definition clearly tells us that it is not a double blind test…Poor boy CAN NOT EXCEPT the truth..Art

OP
OP
EE THr

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
artie---

aarthrj3811 said:
My complain is that you keep calling Carl’s and Randi’s tests a Double Blind Test.

It doesn't matter what I call their tests.

Their tests are whatever they are. Call them what you want. Their tests remain the same.

My questions were---
1. What is the nature of your complaint about Carl's test?
2. What would you consider a fair test to be?

OP
OP
EE THr

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
artie---

aarthrj3811 said:
My complain is that you keep calling Carl’s and Randi’s tests a Double Blind Test.. Every definition clearly tells us that it is not a double blind test

I think that the only definitions you have seen are in relation to the testing of drugs.

The following are excerpts from Wikipedia, for both blind and double-blind tests---

A blind or blinded experiment is a scientific experiment where some of the persons involved are prevented from knowing certain information that might lead to conscious or unconscious bias on their part, invalidating the results.

Double-blind describes an especially stringent way of conducting an experiment, usually on human subjects, in an attempt to eliminate subjective bias on the part of both experimental subjects and the experimenters. In most cases, double-blind experiments are held to achieve a higher standard of scientific rigor.

This would explain the differences in your and Carl's concepts of what "double-blind" testing of LRLs would consist of.

Does this help?

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Thank you for proving my point..PERSONS meaning more than one

OP
OP
EE THr

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
artie---

aarthrj3811 said:
Thank you for proving my point..PERSONS meaning more than one

Persons could be the observer and the one hiding the target. What's wrong with that?

Please explain what you mean?

Also, please answer: What do you think would be a fair test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread