Are newer machines the key to older coins ?

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all.. I have been detectin since the mid 80s,and have wanted a new detector since the mid 90s,but have always
put it on the backburner due to various reasons. My first machine which I still use some is a INCA,followed by a
Golden Sabre II in 93 I think LOL..

My ? is are the newer machines with Target ID and all the bells and whistles really worth it ? I mean I have
found 1880 coins on top of ground and memorial cents at 6 inches so why all the depth issues?

The deepest old coin I have dug was a Barber Half at almost 7 inches other than that its 4-6 for the most part.
Maybe I am missing alot huh..

Soil condition probably has some to do with machines and depths,but no 2 machines are really the same
anyhow.

I am thinking a Tejon mainly because of reviews and the dual disc. followed by depth capabilities. Plus I
really wouldnt think of changin brands.I dont think Tesoro is topped by anyone.

So lets hear some responses.First hand accounts from people that have newer machines,and input
from THers like me who have used old school machines forever LOL

Upvote 0

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The short answer to your question is, NO. Knowing your machine is a biggie.

In my never humble opinion, your Golden Sabre II is an excellent machine. I have a Bandido II that was in the factory's last run of that series (1996) before they went strictly Bandido uMax. Last year I bought a new DeLeon because I wanted a simple ID with auto ground balance for my "lazy" days. ;D I would never give up my older Bandido II because it still has the depth, manual ground balance, and sensitivity that's as good as any of the newer, non-ID machines and is still my "relic" machine. An excellent "plus" is that both it and the DeLeon use uMax coils, so the extra coils I have will work on both machines. My RatPhones work with both units, too.

Just as you've found; I have found old coins (1888 and 1906) at grass roots level in the front yard of an old house and an old tax token at about 11 inches. It depends on whether or not the yard or school area has been sodded or filled in with new layers of dirt. I've found this true in Alaska as well as Oklahoma, Mississippi, Arizona, etc. In other words, that old belief about severe temperature changes causing coins to be deep is baloney. The only thing affecting coin depth is if the area has been re-sodded or filled. There is one more situation that can bury coins is if the area has a lot of trees and the leaves and other tree trash has been allowed to build up over the years. Our small city park is like that. The first 6 or 8 inches is fine tree trash before you get down to the original layers.

Your Golden Sabre II is an excellent machine. Keep it and get that new Tejon. The Golden can be your standby and also let someone hunt with you who doesn't have their own machine. You might even consider sending the Golden into the factory for a tuneup. That "golden oldie" can still surprise you, as is. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Jazdo

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack your first sentence is exactly what I was thinkin as I typed.

You have a TID machine which I also have wanted just to see what they are like. Although
I can see how one might use # thing to their advantage.

I can see the Tejon on the horizon..

My Golden Sabre II has been sent to Rusty within the last 6 months. So all there is in
workin order.

Someone else gotta have somethin to say.

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Shortstack said:

In my never humble opinion, your Golden Sabre II is an excellent machine. I have a Bandido II that was in the factory's last run of that series (1996) before they went strictly Bandido uMax. Last year I bought a new DeLeon because I wanted a simple ID with auto ground balance for my "lazy" days. ;D I would never give up my older Bandido II because it still has the depth, manual ground balance, and sensitivity that's as good as any of the newer, non-ID machines and is still my "relic" machine. An excellent "plus" is that both it and the DeLeon use uMax coils, so the extra coils I have will work on both machines. My RatPhones work with both units, too.

Just as you've found; I have found old coins (1888 and 1906) at grass roots level in the front yard of an old house and an old tax token at about 11 inches. It depends on whether or not the yard or school area has been sodded or filled in with new layers of dirt. I've found this true in Alaska as well as Oklahoma, Mississippi, Arizona, etc. In other words, that old belief about severe temperature changes causing coins to be deep is baloney. The only thing affecting coin depth is if the area has been re-sodded or filled. There is one more situation that can bury coins is if the area has a lot of trees and the leaves and other tree trash has been allowed to build up over the years. Our small city park is like that. The first 6 or 8 inches is fine tree trash before you get down to the original layers.

Your Golden Sabre II is an excellent machine. Keep it and get that new Tejon. The Golden can be your standby and also let someone hunt with you who doesn't have their own machine. You might even consider sending the Golden into the factory for a tuneup. That "golden oldie" can still surprise you, as is. :thumbsup:

Best info I heard in a long while,,,,,Right on the money,,,thanks for your knowledge,,, oh ya bought my first detector in 1973,,, so I can relate with ya ,,,,,,thanks

arthur

OP
OP
Jazdo

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
artzstuff1 said:
Shortstack said:

Best info I heard in a long while,,,,,Right on the money,,,thanks for your knowledge,,, oh ya bought my first detector in 1973,,, so I can relate with ya ,,,,,,thanks

arthur

good stuff.. 1973 wow must have been different huntin then ?

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
YES! If you are serious about finding old coins in hunted out sites the Minelab Explorer or E-Trac are what you need. I've been detecting for 19 years, so I'm old school (though not as old as some) and new school. My first machine was a White's Classic II. I was swinging Fisher CZs for years and finding a few silver coins - maybe 10-20 per year. Last year with the Explorer, I got 51 silver. This year I have 127 silver coins in about 3 months of digging. The majority of these are from the same sites I have been hitting for years.

If you look at the people who are serious about silver and finding 100+ silver coins in hunted out sites, 9 times out of 10 they have Minelabs. The results speak for themselves. You can look at the forums - look at the people who are showing pics of what you want to find. Look at what machine they are swinging. I just had a 16 silver day on Monday, and have had several 6 and 7 silver coin days this year. My friend had a 27 silver day last month!

I agree with others that learning your machine is important, as is experience and just putting in a lot of hours swinging. But the E-Trac is easy to use, an old coinhunters dream. I'm running preset coin mode and auto sensitivity and the silver just keeps jumping under the coil begging to be taken home.

If you are hunting virgin homesites then any detector will produce for you. But if you're searching the same old sites that everyone else is, the Minelabs will give you the edge.

You mentioned depth - most of these coins were not that deep. The majority were in the 4-6" range, just being masked by trash, iron, or undetectable by being on edge, etc. The advantage of the Minelab is the target ID is super accurate... so you dig signals that you might pass over with other machines because they don't sound good.

If you are a relic and bullet kinda guy, or an all-metal all the time guy, the Minelab might not be for you. But it you're a coinshooter, the E-Trac is the last word.

Bryce - http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,209115.0.html
Dan - http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,209005.0.html
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,210334.0.html
Mike - http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,212098.0.html

Attachments

• 061109c.jpg
    061109c.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 1,714
  • 061109c.jpg
    061109c.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 1,695
  • 061509.jpg
    061509.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 1,703
OP
OP
Jazdo

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at1cad said:
YES! If you are serious about finding old coins in hunted out sites the Minelab Explorer or E-Trac are what you need. I've been detecting for 19 years, so I'm old school (though not as old as some) and new school. My first machine was a White's Classic II. I was swinging Fisher CZs for years and finding a few silver coins - maybe 10-20 per year. Last year with the Explorer, I got 51 silver. This year I have 127 silver coins in about 3 months of digging. The majority of these are from the same sites I have been hitting for years.

If you look at the people who are serious about silver and finding 100+ silver coins in hunted out sites, 9 times out of 10 they have Minelabs. The results speak for themselves. You can look at the forums - look at the people who are showing pics of what you want to find. Look at what machine they are swinging. I just had a 16 silver day on Monday, and have had several 6 and 7 silver coin days this year. My friend had a 27 silver day last month!

I agree with others that learning your machine is important, as is experience and just putting in a lot of hours swinging. But the E-Trac is easy to use, an old coinhunters dream. I'm running preset coin mode and auto sensitivity and the silver just keeps jumping under the coil begging to be taken home.

If you are hunting virgin homesites then any detector will produce for you. But if you're searching the same old sites that everyone else is, the Minelabs will give you the edge.

You mentioned depth - most of these coins were not that deep. The majority were in the 4-6" range, just being masked by trash, iron, or undetectable by being on edge, etc. The advantage of the Minelab is the target ID is super accurate... so you dig signals that you might pass over with other machines because they don't sound good.

If you are a relic and bullet kinda guy, or an all-metal all the time guy, the Minelab might not be for you. But it you're a coinshooter, the E-Trac is the last word.

I havent checked the links you provided,but your pics are very impressive. You are also
very correct on amount of time someone puts in learning machine,and detecting in
general.

I do dig a bunch of trash,because I dig alot of signals almost 90 percent anymore.
I also find many old nickels,rings,tokens,pins,and so on..thats just a part of not
having a TID machine I guess.. I use tones on GSII,and repeatability with the
INCA.

A friend of mine uses MINELAB and does well.. he said the only downside is if
you are hunting like piles of dirt it apparently doesnt like them,and somethin
else,but I cant remember..

Once again very impressive totals so far.

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
The piles of dirt problem the earlier Explorers had has supposedly been resolved with the E-Trac in the "type of ground" setting - you can set it to normal or difficult ground. For the loose soil, like in plowed fields or construction sites the "normal" setting is what to use. The Minelabs are heavier, but no heavier than my CZs were.

If you like to dig-all and have the time for it that's great. When the soil is moist and the days are cooler I'll often have a day like that, and when I have a hot spot, I work it hard and dig a lot of iffy signals. But when it's humid and 85-90 degrees out and the soil is hard as concrete, I want to cherrypick and dig the best signals.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my minelab x-70 in plowed fields and have no trouble whatsoever??

done dug it all up

Feb 8, 2009
Cinci--just moved to KY
at1cad said:

I agree with you. Add done dug it all up to your list: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,251748.0.html

New technology and some hunting buddies is the way to go.

done dugit

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think that any of the newer detectors built in 2009 will find any more than the detectors made in 1992.......... in your mind yes ... in reality no.... there merchandising and advertising are good and you fall for it.......................... Also i know a lot of hunters that find old & deep coins with older detectors that don't cost a arm and a leg ... Oh yes and they are not all Minelabs...............

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my opinion and from my experience, I can honestly say...I dunno :dontknow:

I detected many years with a White's 6000DI pro, made some nice finds. Got that detector envy and bought a new DFX. Bells, whistles...woohoo!!

My finds didn't change significantly at all. I sold the DFX a year later and went back to using my 6000.

Now I bought the new Vision/V3. Yes, my finds have changed. Not digging nearly the trash...with my limited time out and THINK I've made a couple finds I MIGHT not have dug with the 6000. The Vision has a whole different Target ID system that told me what I thought was trash was actually silver. And it does come with a bigger coil...a 10"DD versus the standard 8" I was used to.

Would I have dug it with the 6000??? Guess I'll never really know. So now I wonder....how many deep beer cans did I pass over that were actually a group of silver coins? :icon_scratch:

I don't think it's depth...you can always add a bigger coil a whole lot cheaper...it's Id'ing that minimizes trash, discrimination that works for you and what you're used to. Less time digging trash equals more time detecting good silver.

Al

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
My Explorer SE is finding lots more older coins than my 11 year old GTAx1000.
I'm getting them in new hunting grounds as well as places I've covered with my Garrett.

JT in Virginia

Aug 16, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab
The answer is YES, you need a new detector and the best ones out there are Minelab FBS detectors. They will pick out good signals in trashy areas better than any other detector I have seen. Just like the the man said in the previous post, look at the finds being posted and notice what detector they are using. Just my 2 cents

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
JT in Virginia said:
The answer is YES, you need a new detector and the best ones out there are Minelab FBS detectors. They will pick out good signals in trashy areas better than any other detector I have seen. Just like the the man said in the previous post, look at the finds being posted and notice what detector they are using. Just my 2 cents
:protest: In your mind ...............

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to agree with Jim on this one. Give me a coil tuned to a single frequency and forget the hype.

As for new v old designs then just try the Nautilus DMC.

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
I'm seeing the naysayers providing their opinions here, but not seeing the proof. :laughing7: I posted my Minelab finds, I provided links to the finds of other users as well. :icon_thumright:

So, put your money where your mouth is guys... if you use something OTHER than a Minelab and you are hunting hunted-out parks and schools in the USA, let's see your finds, please post your yearly totals so we can truly compare. :help:

I want to see the Garrett, Tesoro and White's (and other brands) users that are getting 100+ silver coins annually out of hunted out parks and schools. :dontknow:

Show me the money! ;D

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
at1cad said:
I'm seeing the naysayers providing their opinions here, but not seeing the proof. :laughing7: I posted my Minelab finds, I provided links to the finds of other users as well. :icon_thumright:

So, put your money where your mouth is guys... if you use something OTHER than a Minelab and you are hunting hunted-out parks and schools in the USA, let's see your finds, please post your yearly totals so we can truly compare. :help:

I want to see the Garrett, Tesoro and White's (and other brands) users that are getting 100+ silver coins annually out of hunted out parks and schools. :dontknow:

Show me the money! ;D
You dream a lot if you think the only good detector is a minelab they are all good wake up wake up ..... in your mind only..

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver coins found in two years hunting with TESORO metal detectors....by an experienced metal detectorist, me!

Attachments

• 100_1820.JPG
    100_1820.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,389

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
You dream a lot if you think the only good detector is a minelab they are all good wake up wake up ..... in your mind only..

I am not saying that at all! I'm awake! Lots of detectors, lots of different types of detecting. Some better in some places, etc. I am NOT saying anything bad about other brands of detectors, so please, no need to be defensive.

Trying to keep this sticking to the facts, here and not do any name calling or anything out of hand. What I am asking is that if you have a great detector that is finding lots of silver coins in hunted out sites in the USA to post your finds and tell me what kind of detector it is. If you're finding 100+ silver coins in hunted out parks with a Garrett GTA1000, I want to know! If you're doing it with a Big Bud Pro or a Bounty Hunter, I want to know! Don't just say "my detector is the best" - I can get that with any ad the manufacturer puts out. I want to see the results, please. If you have a story or finds to share, I'd love to hear it.

I bought and am using Minelab because I saw that others were getting the results I wanted with them. I've used and owned many brands of detectors. If there's something better out there, you can be darn sure I want to know about it! So thank you in advance for sharing your finds and your detector of choice! Let's keep this positive, please. :icon_sunny:

So Jim, I can see you're not sold on the Minelabs from your posts, but I'm not seeing you contributing much to the conversation here or explaining your point of view. Do you have some finds to show us? Like I said, if there's a better machine for getting old coins and silver coins from hunted out parks, let me know and show me what a skilled user can find! Thanks! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions