Are nuggets still out there...

mountainman22

Nov 5, 2012
Canon City
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have $600 and am pondering if I should get a hold detector or not and which to get. Is there still enough nuggets in Colorado to make this purchase justifiable? I know you all might respond with yeah you just need to find them , but I am looking for a general answer in hopes of it being worthy of purchase. Anyways, thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM22,
There is still gold anywhere it has been found before finding it is the trick. I've been messing around looking for it for years but then I enjoy being out in the mountains and I'd be there even if gold was not there so shoot I might just as well dream about finding a big nugget on one of my trips but I do not expect to get rich at searching for gold. Also, it is not a 'sure thing' that a person will find gold when they are out searching for it. And then if you purchase ANY type of prospecting equipment you will need to learn how to use it and then you will have to spend many hours outdoors to locate a spot that has any color, gold that is.

You still interested? Good luck on your search for inputs.........63bkpkr

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a Gold bug 2. It took me just over a year to find a nugget. I have found many more in a sluice/highbanker. Is the money for a detector justified? Yes and no. Several guys in the Rich Hill, AZ area have found many more and larger nuggets than I. Documented in print. That is the yes. It may take you quite awhile, maybe a year or more, to find a nugget. That is the no. Then again you may find THE BIG ONE right away and be in print. Impossible to say. $600 will buy you a skinny little detector. More like $700 to $750 or more. If you just remember there is no GET RICH QUICK scheme, buy the detector and go for it. TTC

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Colorado is more known for its fine gold and no so much its nuggets (anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong).

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen Gold and Platinum nuggets from Colorado. They are there, but very rare. You have a 90-percent better chance of getting gold in Colorado digging dirt and condensing it. In the end, you are the only one that can answer your question - Good Luck!

OP
OP
M

mountainman22

Nov 5, 2012
Canon City
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks you all! I am bummed out with what Ive gotten prospecting on the rivers, etc. less than $2 of gold in 15 trips equaling about $500 spent. Every good spot is either claimed or I cant find the dang public areas on the lr2000. So I figured maybe the detector would help, but im finding out otherwise :icon_scratch:.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks you all! I am bummed out with what Ive gotten prospecting on the rivers, etc. less than $2 of gold in 15 trips equaling about $500 spent. Every good spot is either claimed or I cant find the dang public areas on the lr2000. So I figured maybe the detector would help, but im finding out otherwise
icon_scratch.gif

Welcome to the club :tongue3:
The fever keeps you searching........ "today is the day"

Last edited:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I dont know much about that area but if you want to treasure hunt beaches, parks, historic area's and ghost towns you could stand to find some really cool things.
The Gold bug Pro is very good for that.

I have not found any gold MD'ing yet and have had much better luck underwater sniping than any other form of prospecting but I still decided on a MD because I thought that it would be fun, and it has been. :)

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Are there enough nuggets left to make it worth it? Well, it may only take 1...

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Getting a metal detector here in CO is well worth it. Colorado is not known for big nuggets like California, but you can find smaller nuggets if you go to the right places. I bought my first detector from Bill at Gold-n-detectors in the City of Golden. He trained me on the detector and told me exactly where to go. I found my first gold specimen that same year. Close to you is The Rock Doc in Nathrop, go there and and check them out. You might pay full retail at a shop, but the face to face training and the locations to prospect at is worth it.

I have $600 and am pondering if I should get a hold detector or not and which to get. Is there still enough nuggets in Colorado to make this purchase justifiable? I know you all might respond with yeah you just need to find them , but I am looking for a general answer in hopes of it being worthy of purchase. Anyways, thanks in advance!

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will add this, I looked at the website for The Rock Doc, and one of two gold detectors that they recomend is the Eureka Gold by Minelab. Their website says that the Eureka Gold will find the fine gold in the Arkansas Valley, I don't really agree with that. It might be an OK detector, but it's way over priced and I rarley heard any good reports on it. Gold-n-Detectors has a much bigger selection and sometimes they have used detectors available.

S

stefen

It appears that you need to understand its a crap shoot...

You're at the right position to determine if you should forge ahead or walk away...the only difference is $600+

If you're in this for profit, get the best money will buy and your committment to make a concentrated effort...

OP
OP
M

mountainman22

Nov 5, 2012
Canon City
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks everyone for the input. Nugget I will check them out asap. Also just wanted to add, Im not in for profit AT ALL. If I found a .10 picker that would make a $3000 detector worth it for me. My gold I get I wont sell. I love the hunt and no matter what I get I will never sell it(or for now have no plans to). Just finding a speck makes my day. I just want a shot at something big enough to see without a flashlight.

OP
OP
M

mountainman22

Nov 5, 2012
Canon City
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will add this, I looked at the website for The Rock Doc, and one of two gold detectors that they recomend is the Eureka Gold by Minelab. Their website says that the Eureka Gold will find the fine gold in the Arkansas Valley, I don't really agree with that. It might be an OK detector, but it's way over priced and I rarley heard any good reports on it. Gold-n-Detectors has a much bigger selection and sometimes they have used detectors available.

Thanks your always here with awesome info! I will be checking them out. I gave them a call and am setting a time to test some out.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found gold with the Eureka Gold. Check out this video with my buddy Kevin Hoagland

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a cheap little bounty Hunter, for $125.
I went up the desert two months later with my dog.
I'm swinging she's running.
I find nothing for about a mile.
I'm in the high desert above Barstow, California.
Scully stops and starts to dig under a rock with a Bush.
I had scanned that area already, but she is kicking dirt out 10 feet.
So I go back to scanning that dirt, and I get a hit.
I get a small little quarter inch gold quartz picker.
I want to say that the dog found it.
She just led me to it, she was after a rat in the hole.
But that's how gold finding goes.
It's a well-known fact that you won't find anything if you don't look.
Most advice I get on where to look is around old mine tailings, the big piles of rock left over from digging the mine.
Lode miners work on volume, so they miss some of it.
You can find it.
Any detector you buy today will be 15 years better than my detector.
Good luck.

Last edited:

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
if you hold on to yer cash a while a sweet deal will come along,i bought an original gold bug for 150,that was ok.
but then last spring I purchased a eureka for 480,and its a sweet machine,dont think i would pay 1000 for it though.
yet it is far more versatile than people think.
as for being worth it,if you are hooked on metal detecting it is indeed very worth it.
always bin obsesed with history so mding adds more reason to my maddness.

p.s.for a fella who could read at college level in 5th grade ya sure cant tell from my spelling.hahaha!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread