Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all.
While watching/reading news recently, I noticed a couple legal cases where the authorities were scouring potential suspects social media pages for info.
That got me to thinking that folks quite possibly share information with the world that can harm themselves.
Lets say anyone of us had a bad day and decided to "vent". Well could those words be misconstrued and be used against "venter" in a legal arena to help establish demeanor, state of mind, etc.?
Just a thought.
Thanks
Peace ✌
P.S. My apologies to Mods if I incorrectly posted here on GD.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I heard a comedian on the radio once say, "I used to be a private detective, but nowadays with the invention of facebook, no one needs a private detective anymore".

Last edited:

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, absolutely, what a person posts on social media can be used against them by authorities. There are plenty of instances where social media posts have been used in court.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your post is fine as long as it doesn't go political...Bulling kids can get you in hot water as can physical threats and stalking.. Members Hermit the Frog telling Miss Piggy she is fat wouldn't be legal issue just rule violation.👍

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TH. Funny ��
I ain't lookin' for a spank.
Peace ✌

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its all in the cloud for everybody to read and hack

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Your post is fine as long as it doesn't go political...Bulling kids can get you in hot water as can physical threats and stalking.. Members Hermit the Frog telling Miss Piggy she is fat wouldn't be legal issue just rule violation.

So, if Kermit said, "Yuck, tastes like chicken" Miss Piggy couldn't sue Kermit for defamation of character?

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only if he used the word swine lol

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Freedom of speech has a wide brush. My attorney once old me as long as it's civil and not criminal you can lie.
How many here have had ex's lie w/o any retributions. Many like to lie.
Our internet is a web of lies. You just can't control free range ideas.
Just try to prove damage.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm more sceered of T_H and Jeff than the law

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Good luck applying for a job too. Many companies now delve into your social network when doing background checks.
There's been articles in the paper recently about folks getting fired for what they posted on the World Wide Web.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's a public forum so anything you say the authorities can see. I don't really see it as a problem here. However on a firearm forum I'm a member of occasionally someone will post a question or say something that could get them in hot water so they are usually told to delete it or the mods get rid of it. But usually once somethings on the internet its there forever and can be pulled up.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Often when we issue warnings to a member and delete post it is to the benefit of the poster in the long run. Everyone has a bad day but certain things will not fly. Like Miss Piggy.
:occasion14:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As for telling lies, it kinda like a boss I had back in the late 70s. He always said you can lie to just about anyone; but if you're on the witness stand, you better tell the truth.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figure if I post it the world knows forever.
I do post disclaimers sort of "just kidding NSA" when the post is tongue in cheek but could possible cause real trouble.
I figure it comes down to how good your lawyer is.
As for claiming to be the family nut (for detecting)....that's true! Lol!
I'll go with KVM and others on the "if you find it, keep your mouth shut!"...I'm still posting.:laughing7:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's no doubt in my mind this site among many others are "watched" / "reviewed" or whatever looking for posted monetary treasure found. Like the couple in California who found all the gold coins on their property and told the world. There's probably lots of other examples also. Any one of us who found a stash of gold coins under a rock, w/MD or just stumbled upon a small or large horde would be silly to post on any site. I bet anyone who posted such a thing would be contacted soon, banking securitized and lifestyle monitored.

But... with that said, who wouldn't have the urge to TELL THE WORLD and share photos and the great story of your find. Hell I'd like to hear all about it if any one of you folks found such a thing. To tell the story is one thing and be held accountable but to actually post pics to back it up is even harder to deny. I'd bet our posts here are legally binding.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I do not fear what I post causing problems. I suppose it could happen. For example, I am aware that a really good snoop could find where I live and where I think Moctezuma's treasure is. (This week. My mood changes from time to time.)

What? Me Worry?

To attempt to murder someone is a major felony. Less time in prison than actually doing murder, but still a grave offense.

To steal an ancient treasure in Mexico is a grave Federal felony. So is attempting to steal an ancient treasure. Less time in jail than actually stealing one, but you would be tired of living in an unheated and uncooled pig pen long before they let you go, even for the lesser offense.

There is a major prison in the area, and sufficient police manning to deal with potential problems at the prison means a very high police to citizen ratio. Mostly M-16 and AK, with a heavy duty military chopper squadron half an hour away.

I view anyone coming here to do illegal acts in hopes of finding nearly a billion dollars of goodies that may or may not actually be here as doing his part to clean up the gene pool. Please carry on. :D

If you can find me, please come as a tourist, and spend lots of money. This paradise in the mountains can use the revenue. Not that it costs that much to visit here, compared to the $100 a night luxury places. If you are nice, I will also seek permission to give you a walk-by for where I think it is.

I used to be afraid of things. It is part of the US culture to be afraid and worried all the time about something. Boogymen. Germs everywhere. Never enough air bags or seat belts in our cars. If I post on Facebook someone might come and "GET ME!" Woe! Agony! And, despair! That constant fear has, I suppose, made us safer. But it certainly hasn't made us happier.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
piegrande, I didn't expect a response of that magnitude.
And, I'm actually a bit annoyed.
You made me think for a moment. Please don't do that again. ;)
Peace ✌

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions